The search function is no longer your best friend!

P

pickup

Remember when a newcomer would come on to the website and ask a question that has been asked countless times ?

Some would reply "the search function is your best friend" , and that used to be true. However, since the new upgrade this year, I find that the search function really doesn't lead a person to what he is looking for.

Did anyone else notice this?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Remember when a newcomer would come on to the website and ask a question that has been asked countless times ?

Some would reply "the search function is your best friend" , and that used to be true. However, since the new upgrade this year, I find that the search function really doesn't lead a person to what he is looking for.

Did not notice myself but that does help explain why you were replying to threads last posted in 2005. :wink2:

P

pickup

I used the advanced search function this morning and had no problem with it.

Okay, with that encouraging post, I tested the advanced search function just now and typed in "new to feeders" , the first six threads included "build a mosque", "how's the view/","ft sup retaliates...", " you know the song, ... logistics", etc. Then after that , we have a few related threads that should be on the top of the screen, and then followed by stuff that probably wont be helpful such as "diad 4 , later start times, etc.

So somewhat helpful, but not the same as it was before the upgrade when the threads at the top of the page would have been the most appropriate ones.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Okay, with that encouraging post, I tested the advanced search function just now and typed in "new to feeders" , the first six threads included "build a mosque", "how's the view/","ft sup retaliates...", " you know the song, ... logistics", etc. Then after that , we have a few related threads that should be on the top of the screen, and then followed by stuff that probably wont be helpful such as "diad 4 , later start times, etc.

So somewhat helpful, but not the same as it was before the upgrade when the threads at the top of the page would have been the most appropriate ones.

I reported this to Cheryl so she can look into it ...

Cheryl,
Pickup is saying that the returned results for search is not returning the most relevant threads.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I typed pickup into the search bar and this is what I found.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your search input needs to be more specific.

P

pickup

Your search input needs to be more specific.

Okay, I went back to about 2009 and found the title of a thread called "Why did it show as late air?" then I typed in the advanced search function that same exact wording and my results (at least for the first page) don't show the thread.

I tried this with another one 10 minutes ago, "Feeders, here I come" , the thread did pop up on the page as the second result. The first result had nothing to do with the search phrase.

So sometimes it works (as in the second case although that should have been the first displayed result) and sometimes it doesn't as in the first case with "the late air".

P

pickup

And while we are on the subject, has anyone else seen that you can only track a person's posting history by his name only back to the date of the upgrade?

Coincidentally, the search function is spotty so it is hard to find certain gems left behind by certain people . Gems that would be great to find , for example, when a person says "I voted for Obama " a year ago and then says "I voted for McCain" a year later in another post.

DS

Fenderbender
I have to agree pickup.I tried to find a thread I started a couple of years ago named"cop for a day" to no avail

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Like Cheryl said it will be a few months before it is completely up to snuff again.
Luckily for us, STUG has agreed to conduct searches for others until then.

Last edited:

dillweed

Here's an idea. We can just hold out until Cheryl gets that search function straightened out then no one will even have to reply to new posters anymore. Most everything has already been discussed on here so if no one has anything new to add the post will be ignored and the new poster will have no choice but to learn proper use of the "search" function. That'll teach 'em. :dissapointed: Oh, and then when someone posts about new users not asking questions or participating we can also ignore that because it has been discussed before and can be found by using the "search" function.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
please explain how you found it
I went to your profile, because you said YOU started the thread, and I looked at the titles of all the threads started by you. I think it was on page 5, but I would have checked the whole thing for you, my friend.:happy2: