the single stupidest thing about UPS that i know of

Kingpin13

^why did he even show up? after paying for gas there and back, if it was a short drive he would have enough money for a pack of gum

Kingpin13

Good,
that is the way it should be.
Something earned, by one\'s own effort, has more value than something given.

isnt that kind of like sayin \"companies shouldnt pay health insurance benefits to there employees.....if the employees pay for it themselves they will have a good feeling in there heart\"?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

isnt that kind of like sayin "companies shouldnt pay health insurance benefits to there employees.....if the employees pay for it themselves they will have a good feeling in there heart"?

Close but, ah, no.

You can liken this to a teenager anxious to get his first car. If Mommy and Daddy pay for it the kid will not have the same sense of responsibility that he would had he saved up and bought it himself.

satellitedriver

isnt that kind of like sayin "companies shouldnt pay health insurance benefits to there employees.....if the employees pay for it themselves they will have a good feeling in there heart"?
No,
it is more like someone showing up on a construction job that owns his own tools and asks for work.
He can leave with his tools if denied.
With your analogy, you expect him to come on a job site and ask for a job, then expect the boss to train him and buy the tools he needs.

Kingpin13

No,
it is more like someone showing up on a construction job that owns his own tools and asks for work.
He can leave with his tools if denied.
With your analogy, you expect him to come on a job site and ask for a job, then expect the boss to train him and buy the tools he needs.
its job training for advancement of employees...it wouldnt cost UPS that much money, they already have all the equipment, and drivers who can train......they should offer a discounted CDL program, charge the students enough to cover fuel and man hours

Catatonic

Nine Lives
its job training for advancement of employees...it wouldnt cost UPS that much money, they already have all the equipment, and drivers who can train......they should offer a discounted CDL program, charge the students enough to cover fuel and man hours

And if UPS did not have a job for you once you got all the training, you will leave UPS and work for one of our competitors.

I can imagine this is probably more along the lines of why...just a thought.

Kingpin13

And if UPS did not have a job for you once you got all the training, you will leave UPS and work for one of our competitors.

I can imagine this is probably more along the lines of why...just a thought.

i see what you are saying here, BUT does UPS think these kids are going to school to be electricians doctors and teachers and wont be leaving UPS? all im saying is they will pay for kids colleges, where MOST of those kids will be leaving UPS after college, but wont help people get there CDL

drewed

Shankman
i see what you are saying here, BUT does UPS think these kids are going to school to be electricians doctors and teachers and wont be leaving UPS? all im saying is they will pay for kids colleges, where MOST of those kids will be leaving UPS after college, but wont help people get there CDL

Theres a difference most of those kids cant take their degree and go work for a competitor....thats why the teamsters are in the business of furthering their members job skills just like the IBEW pays for electrical training, not the contractor its that simple

Kingpin13

i know some companies make u sign a contract like if you get your CDL through pepsi they make you sign on for like 3 years or somethin so u wont just get your CDL through them and quit alot of over the road companies do this to or else anybody could go to JB hunt get paid CDL training then quit and work for a LTL company making alot more money

brownrodster

Our new feeder drivers go to a hub near here and go through 2 weeks of feeder training at the end of which they take their CDL test. Our center does not offer tuition assistance to pt hourly employees.

I got my CDL the old fashion way. I just went into the DMV and took the written test. When I passed that I came back with a big truck and took the driving test. But I was around big trucks at a young age... And had access to them at my own leisure. I never had any formal training. I just had older people that taught me the basics.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I got mine the old fashioned way to Rodster! I learned on the road with co driver. Went and got my permit and was out on the road. Best training I ever received.:surprised:

brownrodster

I got mine the old fashioned way to Rodster! I learned on the road with co driver. Went and got my permit and was out on the road. Best training I ever received.:surprised:

I remember doing the same. Getting my permit and riding around with a driver for fun. When I finally got my CDL my boss had me driving big trucks all the time. I almost regretted getting it.