The "Solution" for Part-Timers

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx is cutting you back on hours if they can possibly get away with it. Here's the solution, at least short-term...if you can afford it. Work only your part-time hours and refuse to do anything extra. Policy supports your ability to do this and contact HR if your manager attempts to intimidate you. HR will actually take your side, especially if you have any reason to not work extra hours (childcare, elder care, school, another job). FedEx has lost numerous lawsuits over forcing work on PTer's, and they know they'll lose again if you sue.

Short-term, you'll lose some money, but long-term, you'll force FedEx to either upgrade you or end the 30 hour cap. Talk with other part-timers and see if you can gain some measure of unity. If enough of you just walk away, FedEx will have to change their policy. Nothing changes minds faster than uncovered routes and poor service numbers.

With peak on the way, you have extra power you will not have post-peak. December 26th, you will be not be needed anyway, and all of your bargaining power is gone.

Nothing will ever change unless you force the issue.

ex fed exer

excellent advice, but do not ever underestimate the power of "at-will' employee"

by refusing the great and powerfull oz, er Fred S, one can be dismissed for a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason at all.

it's hard to find a schister who wants to tackle "at will employee"

watch your back.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
cant they use that old saying..."operational needs"....man thats a crock of b.s.

"Operational Need" only applies to part-timers within their scheduled hours. Plus, Part-timers cannot be "mandoed" to work their day off. If Xmas Eve is on a Monday and you're a Tues-Sat part-timer, you've got the day off if you want it. Too bad more of them don't know policy. You're right that it's a crock, and heavily abused.

quadro

Most of the part-timers I've worked with want the additional hours. Not all of them but more than half. MFE is correct that if you've got school, another job, etc, you cannot be forced to work outside of your normal shift. I don't think we'll see an end to the 30 hour cap as it will blur the line between part and full time. Not that there's a huge difference in benefits and there's no difference in pay. The good think about forcing local management to keep part timers under 30 is that if they truly need employees then they'll be forced to either upgrade some part timers to full time, hire full timers, hire part timers or some combination. Whatever way it shakes out, it can (not necessarily will, but can) be a good thing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Most of the part-timers I've worked with want the additional hours. Not all of them but more than half. MFE is correct that if you've got school, another job, etc, you cannot be forced to work outside of your normal shift. I don't think we'll see an end to the 30 hour cap as it will blur the line between part and full time. Not that there's a huge difference in benefits and there's no difference in pay. The good think about forcing local management to keep part timers under 30 is that if they truly need employees then they'll be forced to either upgrade some part timers to full time, hire full timers, hire part timers or some combination. Whatever way it shakes out, it can (not necessarily will, but can) be a good thing.

Better make those 280 goals if you want to upgrade or add new people. That means that a lot of stations that need bodies won't get them. This will pressure management to abuse part-timers more than ever.Think about it.

quadro

Better make those 280 goals if you want to upgrade or add new people. That means that a lot of stations that need bodies won't get them. This will pressure management to abuse part-timers more than ever.Think about it.
Not from what I'm seeing. Managers will not be able to use part-timers (or full-timers for that matter) to make up for other employees poor performance. The pressure will be on every courier that doesn't hit their goal. I know what that means for me (not a lot as I don't have an issue hitting my goal) and I'm guessing it doesn't mean a lot for you from what you've said about your performance.

vantexan

But will the 280 goals be used to force people out? If we go to a priority only service they most likely won't need as many people. Instead of having a layoff, which has always been a big deal to them not having one, they could justify getting rid of people by saying they weren't performing up to acceptable standards.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
But will the 280 goals be used to force people out? If we go to a priority only service they most likely won't need as many people. Instead of having a layoff, which has always been a big deal to them not having one, they could justify getting rid of people by saying they weren't performing up to acceptable standards.

Yeah they could do that and pay a fortune in unemployment claims. Then how's the new help that comes along gonna do with these goals that were set up for seasoned couriers? The majority will just quit and go elsewhere as the revolving door cycle repeats itself.

But the Memphis elite is too stupid to see this.

MT3...what an inspirational leader. Moron Times 3.

:funny:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah they could do that and pay a fortune in unemployment claims. Then how's the new help that comes along gonna do with these goals that were set up for seasoned couriers? The majority will just quit and go elsewhere as the revolving door cycle repeats itself.

But the Memphis elite is too stupid to see this.

:funny:
I've got to think that if and when the economy eventually improves, that a lot of Express employees are going to hit the door. We still have people quitting, and now we cannot replace them unless we hit the 280 goals and jump through all of the hoops that MEM sets-up. Reminds me of a circus where the clowns all pile into their clown fire truck, and then put out the fire with gasoline. They really do not get it.

vantexan

Most likely FedEx will raise starting pay to attract newhires and leave the rest where they are at paywise. As more get disgusted and leave they'll get replaced with cheaper employees. So FedEx comes out ahead. Maybe the investment in powerpads and the ROADS system was just for this outcome, that experienced employees would quit over pay and newhires could get up to speed quickly with the simplified systems. As the newhires get some time in they'll come to 2 conclusions. Either accept a low paid future or quit. Either way FedEx wins. And the older couriers deciding to take their pensions will be replaced with cheaper couriers with the difference in pay helping to pay for those pensions. Over time there will be smaller and smaller pensions to where the company comes out ahead when a courier retires, especially if they can string along people forever on reaching top-out. It's all pretty diabolical when you consider that people were assigned to develop this, present it to management in meetings, and get it approved with most likely a lot of back slapping and hearty handshakes. If anyone is convinced that FedEx is going to come through with big raises eventually, just hang in there, you are probably kidding yourself.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Most likely FedEx will raise starting pay to attract newhires and leave the rest where they are at paywise. As more get disgusted and leave they'll get replaced with cheaper employees. So FedEx comes out ahead. Maybe the investment in powerpads and the ROADS system was just for this outcome, that experienced employees would quit over pay and newhires could get up to speed quickly with the simplified systems. As the newhires get some time in they'll come to 2 conclusions. Either accept a low paid future or quit. Either way FedEx wins. And the older couriers deciding to take their pensions will be replaced with cheaper couriers with the difference in pay helping to pay for those pensions. Over time there will be smaller and smaller pensions to where the company comes out ahead when a courier retires, especially if they can string along people forever on reaching top-out. It's all pretty diabolical when you consider that people were assigned to develop this, present it to management in meetings, and get it approved with most likely a lot of back slapping and hearty handshakes. If anyone is convinced that FedEx is going to come through with big raises eventually, just hang in there, you are probably kidding yourself.

This job has a fairly steep learning curve, and continuously losing competent people has a major downside, even for a company that thinks WalMart-brained employees are up to the task.

vantexan

This job has a fairly steep learning curve, and continuously losing competent people has a major downside, even for a company that thinks WalMart-brained employees are up to the task.

And yet what I pointed out is exactly what is happening. Other than a bad economy, what's the incentive for intelligent, ambitious people to hire on these days? They can't all go into management. The only thing that'll bring them in is higher starting pay. A few years of crap raises with no end in sight will quickly disillusion them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And yet what I pointed out is exactly what is happening. Other than a bad economy, what's the incentive for intelligent, ambitious people to hire on these days? They can't all go into management. The only thing that'll bring them in is higher starting pay. A few years of crap raises with no end in sight will quickly disillusion them.

I agree. Apparently FedEx is OK with the idea of continuous turnover and a sub-par workforce.