The Solution - Productivity, Morale, Income

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
1. Pay drivers by commission -
2. Let drivers manage themselves -

Ups certainly has allotted a dollar figure-per-piece for deliveries. Pay the driver this amount per delivery/pickup. Need Friday off? work with co-workers to cover your shift. Everyone will be working just as hard - harder- but be happy as hell about it. An employee with control of their destiny is a happy employee.

Then again, maybe 9 cups of coffee this morning was too much....

Billy

what about those routes that only delivery 50 stops because they have to drive 200 miles? ( wild example but you get the point )

wisedragonfly

Ups certainly has allotted a dollar figure-per-piece for deliveries. Pay the driver this amount per delivery/pickup. Need Friday off? work with co-workers to cover your shift. Everyone will be working just as hard - harder- but be happy as hell about it. An employee with control of their destiny is a happy employee.

Who will take care of all the service failures?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
how about us with 25 plus years of destroying our bodies,,, the less pieces I handle the better !

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Who will take care of all the service failures?

What service failures?

I always believed NDA EAMs should be handled by a whole seperate group. Breaking trace to cover an out of the way delivery / pickup blows everything else you do for the day.

Actually, EAMS pay UPS more, so it would pay the driver more. Drivers would WANT eams

ol'browneye

What service failures?

I always believed NDA EAMs should be handled by a whole seperate group. Breaking trace to cover an out of the way delivery / pickup blows everything else you do for the day.

Actually, EAMS pay UPS more, so it would pay the driver more. Drivers would WANT eams

You're describing Fed-Ex and you see where that plan has gotten them.
Go work there and let us know how it goes!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Ask the FedEx ground contractor on your route how this kind of system is working for them.....

soberups

What service failures?

Its a nice thought until you factor in the expense to the company of putting an additional vehicle on the road an an additional driver on the payroll.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Its a nice thought until you factor in the expense to the company of putting an additional vehicle on the road an an additional driver on the payroll.

My bet is there would be no need for additional drivers or additional cars.

Also, about FedEx, I didn't know that is how they did it, sorry. Please see in first post regarding coffee.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
----"Its a nice thought until you factor in the expense to the company of putting an additional vehicle on the road an an additional driver on the payroll."

plus the fact that fed ex drivers have to pay to maintain their own vehicles (and purchase them)

Last edited:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Just what was in that coffee?:wink2:

....clearly not enough of something....

My motive in starting the thread was just to provoke thought, that's all. No, it would never happen. No, I did not know FedEx did it this way.

I do know for a fact that giving employees some control makes for a happy (happier) employee. How can UPS do this?

It is also a fact that pay per production will always be more productive than pay by the hour.

soberups

....It is also a fact that pay per production will always be more productive than pay by the hour.

Which is a great deal for the company but a crappy deal for the employee, as the cost of any unavoidable delays (snow, accidents, traffic issues etc.) is borne by that employee. Safety goes out the window also, since time taken being safe is also coming out out of the employees pocket.

leastbest

LeastBest
I'll tell you a far easier way to increase morale, income etc.

Have supervision follow the contract and the UPS Policy Book.

Both say you must treat employees with respect and dignity. Haven't seen that so far.

Trust your employees with respect and trust them to do their jobs. Following them around, using sensors to watch every movement and second guessing their decisions slows them down and creates a negative environment.

It's hard to do the job well when you are treated like a diseased farm animal. My only crime is that I've aged.

Who decides who gets what routes? 100 stops are cake on some routes,hell on others. Does your new plan for the company still call for random drug testing because you may be in a slight bit of trouble.

AKCoverMan

what about those routes that only delivery 50 stops because they have to drive 200 miles? ( wild example but you get the point )

Not wild at all. I did a 4x4 route on Friday with 60 stops, maybe 80 total packages handled, and 218 miles driven. We probably lose money on this route but you have to have these routes to cover every address.

In your senerio some poor shmuck would get stuck making next to nothing on this route.