The thousand dollar turkey is gone.

tieguy

Banned
if you're like me you bake a turkey once or twice a year when you have family over. the 14 pounder was too small for those occasions. With the gift card you can add a little cash too it and buy a bigger turkey. Thus no 14 pounder sitting in the freezer waiting for the right occasion.

donating is easier and you don't have to worry about refigerating the bird to prevent spoilage.

I did enjoy the tradition of handing out the turkeys though.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
couple of things from my perspective

in my center there was turkey switching. it would seem like tie's 14 pounder had some variance. between 12-18 in our center.

there is also the issue of the food pantries having to deal with 290 turkeys all at once. you think you have a problem finding room all at once for just one?....

the cost of shipping the things probably cost as much if not more than the turkeys cost, or at least close.

all in all, the option of being able to buy one when you feel good and ready to buy one is great. and the food banks, or the favorite charity you donated to appreciate that storage issue as well. 290 $15 cards are pretty easy to store until needed.

last but not least, the turkey is no reflection on what ups thinks you are worth. it goes back many years to when ups men did not make $30 an hour, and turkeys did not cost less than 15.

it is a gift.

and as such, those that complain.........

d

chev

Nightcrawler
Seeing that it is a gift.......I will not complain at all. It's only a friggin turkey. :wink2:
Thank you for the gift card UPS. That's what people do when the receive a gift. They say "thank you".

Even though it may not be heart felt by UPS management anymore, the tradition of turkey's at this time of year was to thank the employees for the hard work during the year, not just during peak. Not a bonus but a thank you gift. I will except mine as such and say you are welcome and I thank you for the gift. If I understand it correctly the original gift from Mr. Casey was a coupon for a turkey.

p.s. we;ve already had this discussion once.

I'mTheMan

Every year I get a free turkey card but what I did was that I told the management that to give the turkey to charity or to homeless where they would like to have the turkey. It made me feel good about it giving it to them to share for the holidays. This year, we got no trailer of turkey and that is the first time in my 13 1/2 years that there will be no handout of turkey. You know, this feeling is not mutual at all.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
and that is exactly what is wrong with our beloved country.

a gift, that has changed form is now being put down and people are angry at the company.

what difference does it make if you give them a card in an envelope or a frozen turkey?

all i can say is what a bunch of ingrates.

get something for free and complain (and i used a nice word here) when it changes.

d

705red

Browncafe Steward
and that is exactly what is wrong with our beloved country.

a gift, that has changed form is now being put down and people are angry at the company.

what difference does it make if you give them a card in an envelope or a frozen turkey?

all i can say is what a bunch of ingrates.

get something for free and complain (and i used a nice word here) when it changes.

d
Danny i wouldn't say that people are angry, more disappointed! The turkey has been a tradition for years and when traditions are broke emotions play in.

Many here are happy still to be working and confused about the future not just ups, but in general. We all know someone that has been effected by lay offs even outside of ups and see how their lives have been altered.

For many of us we are encountering something that we have never seen before with the economy, job loses, and families destroyed. Some are strong and can handle it while others aren't.

drewed

Shankman
Supersup you are way out of line, now me and Red but heads more often then not and have had more then our fair share of arguments but we've never made personal attacks on eachother. Its uncalled for doesnt contribute to the BC or the discussion. Flames are against the user agreement to this site.

satellitedriver

What did the job lose to? Or do you mean losses, not loses? I wouldn't be dissapointed if I were you, a $15 bonus is quite a bit more than you are worth, so you come out ahead. Congrats.
You are not a sup, yet you use that avatar.
The turkeys are a gift, not a bonus.
705Red earned what he was given, call it a bonus or gift.
You, on the other hand, have shown what you are worth.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
I'd prefer the Turkey over a stupid $15 gift card.

Giving a gift cards puts a true value on what they think we are worth as a bonus. It's $15. While the Turkey probably cost them less....it did not shine $15!

i do believe, but i am not positive, that UPS ownes the turkey farm from which the turkeys came. but, i never ate my turkey, as soon as they passed them out, someone else came to pick them up for donation to a homless shelter. where, after all, it is more needed. every year when i gave my turkey back i would say there but by the grace of G-d do I.

at this point, i would be thankful for the job and that the downsize faries have not found their way to you as of yet.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Supersup you are way out of line. Its uncalled for doesnt contribute to the BC or the discussion. Flames are against the user agreement to this site.

Supersup, if you want to continue as a member of this online community, you need to show respect toward other members. You are on thin ice as far as I'm concerned. Your current behavior toward other members needs to show some improvement, or you can troll away on some other site.

I'mTheMan

Danny i wouldn't say that people are angry, more disappointed! The turkey has been a tradition for years and when traditions are broke emotions play in.

Many here are happy still to be working and confused about the future not just ups, but in general. We all know someone that has been effected by lay offs even outside of ups and see how their lives have been altered.

For many of us we are encountering something that we have never seen before with the economy, job loses, and families destroyed. Some are strong and can handle it while others aren't.

I agree with 705red. This is about giving and respect but when it comes to this year, it's all about emotional, layoffs, and economy. Believe me, I know it's hard with families and co-workers when it comes with no turkey that UPS is not giving to anyone but we all have to not let it get it into us like this. We all have the right to show our disappointment of no turkey this year. Next year, if things can turn better, then UPS would reconsider then giving the turkey to everyone or if you get a card, you can instruct the management to give the turkey to charity or homeless shelter like I do every year. Respect is that I do every year to make it feels good but this year, I do not feel good at all when I am not able to give the turkey to the homeless that who needs to be feed and stay alive. I apologize that I said this but this is what I am going through as there are other too, going through this of what we feel regarding to the Turkey.