The Time Is Right For A National Sick Day

MechLift

The season is right for a two week strike. Not in the middle of peak because the objective is not to make enemies of our customers, something FedEx management has proven very capable of doing on their own, but in the hum drum summer months when people are on vacation. Perhaps that was why UPS had their strike in August of 1997.

We're at a point where there is really nothing left for management to take advantage of, the new hires prove that. We need representation if for no other reason than to say management may be ready to commit hari kari to live out their view of things but we would just as soon make a few decisions of our own to avoid ruin.

We haven't the route density of UPS so we cannot be worked like them safely to make the profits to ask for their level of compensation, so we shouldn't plan for it.

hypo hanna

A 1 day 'sickout' would not change a thing.
Now.....if the PM part timers stopped coming in to do deliveries :eek:

Just generally be uncooperative. Smile and be unavailable to help out the noobie drivers. Be unavailable to pick up bulks. Don't answer your phone from any member of management. Don't turn in sales leads. Don't do anything that isn't a drivers job. WAD and slow down. It's already a known fact that busting your tail only gets your goals increased. If your manager complains, tell him your route has changed and you need a check ride. (Be extra slow, extra safe and take extra time with your customer interactions. )
I don't think an organized one day sickout would have near the effect of a slowdown during peak. It's important that fedex first sees we have the participation to pull it off.
Peak this year is already shaping up to be an epic fail. Why steal the blame from management? That is just how it would play out in the press if there was a sickout on the 23rd.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yep. His response to my statement of it being a slap in the face to FedEx employees was... They don't get benefits and they won't have a job after Peak. My response... FedEx once again trying to polish a turd.
That's BS. Get benefits? Yeah, like they're free or something. At least they give you a turd to polish....we just get a cup of diarrhea poured on our shoes...That way we can enjoy it all the livelong day....squish, squish.

Artee

What happened to the sick out that was supposed to happen either Friday or today in the Bay Area? Maybe some of the California guys/gals could give the rest of us an update on if it actually happened or did they wimp out? If they can't get 2 stations in the Bay to follow through with their threat, there is no way its going to happen system wide.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
What happened to the sick out that was supposed to happen either Friday or today in the Bay Area? Maybe some of the California guys/gals could give the rest of us an update on if it actually happened or did they wimp out? If they can't get 2 stations in the Bay to follow through with their threat, there is no way its going to happen system wide.
First I've heard about this. Then again I'm not really from that area.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I'd like to hear how that went too.

DontThrowPackages

Hardly. Let's agree on a day, and then be "sick". There's nothing they can do to you.
You would have to have someone PM everyone on what day to call out. If the date is publicly posted, there will be time for backup to be called in. Also, PM the shills with the wrong dates to see how soon the meeting about, "If you're playing on calling sick X day then don't bother coming back...." is called to order. LOL. Ill bet that meeting happens by Friday.

hypo hanna

You would have to have someone PM everyone on what day to call out. If the date is publicly posted, there will be time for backup to be called in. Also, PM the shills with the wrong dates to see how soon the meeting about, "If you're playing on calling sick X day then don't bother coming back...." is called to order. LOL. Ill bet that meeting happens by Friday.
Agreed. A one day sick out would be easier for them to counter then a general slowdown.