The Times They are a Changin'

vantexan

Funny how a few years ago this forum was a hotbed of Express union activity. And until just a few weeks ago a lot of hype about Express changes. Now seems to be mostly about Ground issues. While Express may still be the bigger opco has the torch officially passed? Will the symbol of FedEx be the front of a semi truck barreling down the road instead of a jet? Will the typical FedEx employee bleed purple and green? Will at some point Ground be the biggest opco?

whenIgetthere

Funny how a few years ago this forum was a hotbed of Express union activity. And until just a few weeks ago a lot of hype about Express changes. Now seems to be mostly about Ground issues. While Express may still be the bigger opco has the torch officially passed? Will the symbol of FedEx be the front of a semi truck barreling down the road instead of a jet? Will the typical FedEx employee bleed purple and green? Will at some point Ground be the biggest opco?

I don't see anyone bleeding purple and green, since none of them (ouside handlers and managers) are actually employees!

vantexan

I don't see anyone bleeding purple and green, since none of them (ouside handlers and managers) are actually employees!

Good point. I guess customer preferences for slower, cheaper service will void the need for hustle. No windsprinting Ground drivers unless they've got something personal to get to.

Doc Sorting Dude

If you look at the Ground volume for UPS there is a heck of a lot of packages out there to be had. There is a reason why our Ground and Freight Hubs are popping out left and right around the country. The key, in my opinion is to get the major distribution centers away from UPS which is what I think is the future for Fedex. Ground for Fedex is fast becoming a major revenue source while our Express division has seemed to have stalled lately.

DontThrowPackages

Know that we are the last generation of express full timers the company will ever see. Check Jcats, check job postings and you will see, with the exception swing, Part time courier, PT handler, PT driver handler, PT etc are the only jobs in the company offered. The company continues to hire PTs and once peak it over, I doubt any FTers will even do the pickup side of their rtes after January 1. I also feel the company will create policies to the effect of 1 mis-del = Letter, any backing accident= letter, missing more than 4 vans a week = letter. customer complain = letter. 3 letter in a rolling year = mission accomplished.

hypo hanna

Sounds about right. Don't make it easy on them. Challenge every single letter. Drag it out. Make it the biggest pain in the tush. Have the ops managers so busy trying to fire us that the stations crawl to a halt. To add to their misery we should be constantly asking for check rides, information on benefits,cclarifications on policies and procedures. Lets put a real test to the open door policy.

Glorifiedpackmule

Know that we are the last generation of express full timers the company will ever see. Check Jcats, check job postings and you will see, with the exception swing, Part time courier, PT handler, PT driver handler, PT etc are the only jobs in the company offered. The company continues to hire PTs and once peak it over, I doubt any FTers will even do the pickup side of their rtes after January 1. I also feel the company will create policies to the effect of 1 mis-del = Letter, any backing accident= letter, missing more than 4 vans a week = letter. customer complain = letter. 3 letter in a rolling year = mission accomplished.

Make notes on everything you sign. Make copies of everything questionable. Record meetings with management on your phone. Record phone calls with management and dispatch. If a manager refuses to check ride with you or refuses to demonstrate how to make your on road goals... Write something up and make him or her sign it. If that doesn't work use a voice recorder to record the conversation on your phone. These idiots are out for blood.

SmithBarney

They will be gunning for the "old" timers. Rest assured they want to keep the folks that cost 1/2 of what the
senior crr costs. They'll push SR crrs to unfavorable routes, and give hours to younger route drivers because face it
if a JR driver can work 8hrs for ~120, and a SR driver costs ~192 thats a 6% reducion in payroll, over one year 16k savings.
not to mention the alleged health car savings since they say it costs more to have SR drivers on our health care(even though at almost $500 a month you can get the same plan right from cigna or other companies)

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Make notes on everything you sign. Make copies of everything questionable. Record meetings with management on your phone. Record phone calls with management and dispatch. If a manager refuses to check ride with you or refuses to demonstrate how to make your on road goals... Write something up and make him or her sign it. If that doesn't work use a voice recorder to record the conversation on your phone. These idiots are out for blood.

The recordings won't do you any good with HR. The company has specifically said that employee-recorded conversations are not and will not be considered valid for anything you would want to use it for. It's not likely that that policy has changed. Ditto for recording phone calls, which is usually illegal without the consent of all parties involved. Good luck getting a manager to sign anything you write up. A manager who does that probably deserves to be fired.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Good luck getting a manager to sign anything you write up. A manager who does that probably deserves to be fired.

That's right!
All us CRR types should have to sign anything put in front of us but, God forbid, a mgr. has to sign something.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's right!
All us CRR types should have to sign anything put in front of us but, God forbid, a mgr. has to sign something.

The stuff couriers sign is usually of the "I have received this and understand what it means and will follow the rules" variety that was written by company lawyers to include and exclude specific language. They are worded in such a way as to cover the company's butt should the need arise. A manager who signs ad hoc documents drafted by couriers is a nightmare waiting to happen.

hypo hanna

The recordings won't do you any good with HR. The company has specifically said that employee-recorded conversations are not and will not be considered valid for anything you would want to use it for. It's not likely that that policy has changed. Ditto for recording phone calls, which is usually illegal without the consent of all parties involved. Good luck getting a manager to sign anything you write up. A manager who does that probably deserves to be fired.

I could care less what HR thinks about recordings. It's not for them. In my case it would be used in the eventual lawsuit. A GFT is a formality just to demonstrate that i went through the process. most likely i would have already had a lawyer on retainer.

Phone call recordings restrictions vary from state to state. You can find this with a quick google search.

Some managers sign stuff, some don't. You never know until you try.

Doc Sorting Dude

You can challenge OLCC's by giving your SM a written statement. If you feel like it was unjustified your SM can make your manager take it away. (this includes ack' ing it in IMS). How do I know, I've done it and after reviewing it they retracted it (Sorry, no details).