The unexpected is now expected more than ever

browned out

A few years ago; UPS drivers had to worry about other distracted motorists like a guy eating a bowl of soup at the steering wheel or a woman putting on lipstick. Then adults on cell phones, then teens on cell phones. Next came kids on bikes on cell phones. Then kids 8 and up on cell phones.
People are now watching movies, programing their gps, and texting all while driving. Teens and mature drivers are texting while driving and I have seen more than a few kids riding their bikes no handed while texting.

Stay back and see it all and expect the unexpected more than ever before.

browned out

Nope. Point was the job is more demanding now than ever before especially when it comes to other motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians not looking where they are going.

bigbrownhen

Yes, we have to be even more careful. I had a kid come off a side street on his bike, never looked, had his Ipod in his ears and pulled right in front of me. He was really bookin it for a bike too. I got it stopped just in time, 2 more seconds and he would have run into the side of my truck. Scared me half to death, I was shaking all the way back to the center.

browned out

Yes, we have to be even more careful. I had a kid come off a side street on his bike, never looked, had his Ipod in his ears and pulled right in front of me. He was really bookin it for a bike too. I got it stopped just in time, 2 more seconds and he would have run into the side of my truck. Scared me half to death, I was shaking all the way back to the center.

He was bookin while you were truckin.

Expecting the Unexpected for 11 - 12 hours a day makes for a very stressful day.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It is so much worse than ever. Kids are oblivious. I know when I was a kid I learned to get the heck out of the way of a truck coming down the road, watch where Im walking and not run into people. These kids just bulldoze through. You move for them.

Nimnim

The Nim
It is so much worse than ever. Kids are oblivious. I know when I was a kid I learned to get the heck out of the way of a truck coming down the road, watch where Im walking and not run into people. These kids just bulldoze through. You move for them.

Cue the back in my day thread hijack.

Wait, is that actually a hijack in this thread or just part of the theme?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cue the back in my day thread hijack.

Wait, is that actually a hijack in this thread or just part of the theme?

You may think yourself humorous but your response was exactly what she was talking about. Today's youth has little to no respect for their elders or authority figures. If I ever spoke to an adult the way some of these kids do my father would have quickly "corrected" my behavior.

Back to the thread--everyone is in such a damn hurry to get nowhere and no one wants to get stuck behind a UPS truck. We need to keep our heads on a swivel.

browned out

It is what we get paid to do but just think how many accidents we avoid on a daily basis. UPS drivers have mad skills. I still think circle of honor drivers will steadily decline as more accidents occur due to distracted civilians and are deemed avoidable.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The corvette, new pic.jpgExpect the unexpected. Corvette rolls out in my lane, driverless, this is where I stopped, but I couldnt get the guy crying on his trunk deck lid after it hit the pole, he flipped me off and left, for not hitting him? 45 mph, I just missed it. Today
The corvette, new pic.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
He owns the place, I bet hes glad it wasnt his ferrari. When he couldnt grab the tail scoop, or whatever its called he was crying like a baby.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You may think yourself humorous but your response was exactly what she was talking about. Today's youth has little to no respect for their elders or authority figures. If I ever spoke to an adult the way some of these kids do my father would have quickly "corrected" my behavior.

Back to the thread--everyone is in such a damn hurry to get nowhere and no one wants to get stuck behind a UPS truck. We need to keep our heads on a swivel.
:oops: I know you are going to take this the wrong way but I'm going to point it out anyway. I would like to remind you that Moreluck is your elder. :oops:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

:oops: I know you are going to take this the wrong way but I'm going to point it out anyway. I would like to remind you that Moreluck is your elder. :oops:

I make exceptions for older, bored, narrow minded, highly opinionated, TMZ watchin', Enquirer readin' California housewives.

Lifer is also my elder and I have nothing but respect for him.