The UPS Policy Book with Integrity: Session 2: Preface Part 1

Integrity

Binge Poster
Last time I gave an overview of the UPS Policy Book, reviewed the cover and asked 3 questions.

The last session was viewed by 1572 on the Brown Cafe and there was 36 replies on that discussion thread.

The preface is divided into 5 sections. A preface, by definition, is a preliminary statement in a book by the book’s author or editor, setting forth its purpose and scope.

The first section of the Preface tells who should use the Policy Book it, how and when it is intended to be used, and why it should be used.

Who?
Managers and supervisors worldwide.

How?
It should be used to guide work activities and decisions.

When?
Daily

Why?
It will help everyone understand things that must be known to carry out responsibilities and interact with everyone that comes in contact with the company.

The introduction and the first section of the Preface make it clear that the book is directed at management employees.

Questions for discussion:

If all UPSers are required to know and follow the policies then, why is it not distributed to all employees?

Do you see your supervisors and managers using or referring to the Policy Book when addressing issues in the work place?

Any input will be respected and appreciated.

Sincerely,
I

bigblu 2 you

who said we {ups'ers}are required to know these policies?hourly employees work under the contractual agreement,a far more important book imo.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It's not in my contract.
anonymous,

I'm not sure I understand your point.

Are you meaning because the UPS Policy Book in not referenced in the contract you are not obligated to adhere to UPS Policy?

Can you please elaborate on this so I can more fully understand your point?

Sincerely,
I

It is not intended for viewing by the unshaven.
Hoaxster,

I see nothing in the Policy Book that excludes a UPSer based upon your stated criteria.

If this exclusion exists can you please let me know in what document I can find it.

Sincerely,
I

who said we {ups'ers}are required to know these policies?hourly employees work under the contractual agreement,a far more important book imo.
bigblu 2 you,

I actually haven't gotten there yet, but since you asked. I correct myself, the word used is actually important, not required.

I will be going over this in an upcoming session but section 5 of the Preface states the importance for all UPSers to understand UPS policies.

It would make sense for this because UPSers do have to deal with each other, customers and others.

Do you feel the contract and the UPS Policy book are mutually exclusive to each other?

I don't think they are.

Sincerely,
I

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would like a copy of the policy book. I started to print it out one time at work, but they ran out of paper and I couldn't find anymore. Then next time I tried, I was told no. I still have some pages of it, though.

I went online at home to try and it wasn't available at upsers. Is it still there? Anyone?

Raw

Raw Member
How?

Perhaps UPS management ( I use the term management VERY losely ) only reads this as they need a " how to " book to know what to do ( I use the term management VERY losely ) and hourlies need not read it because we no longer have the ability to make our own decisions ( management point of view) as we are only hitting the streets 9 hours a day making contact with customers and have intimate knowledge of our route and some of us even have a college degree and high IQ and great people skills. :peaceful:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would like a copy of the policy book. I started to print it out one time at work, but they ran out of paper and I couldn't find anymore. Then next time I tried, I was told no. I still have some pages of it, though.

I went online at home to try and it wasn't available at upsers. Is it still there? Anyone?
UPSers. You can download both of them.

Hmmmm, that's interesting. I just looked. Code of Business Conduct is there but I don't see Policy.

BTW - you should look at that as well. Very interesting reading.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Back in 98, when I went into part-time management, I was given a copy to read through. It wasn't a huge book by no means, but It was detailed and expressed the way Jim Casey expected us to treat employees and each other. Thankfully I got out of management to drive. UPS has turned employees into numbers now which makes the policy book null and void. Thats how Ive been feeling the last 3 years.

Integrity

Binge Poster
How?

Perhaps UPS management ( I use the term management VERY losely ) only reads this as they need a " how to " book to know what to do ( I use the term management VERY losely ) and hourlies need not read it because we no longer have the ability to make our own decisions ( management point of view) as we are only hitting the streets 9 hours a day making contact with customers and have intimate knowledge of our route and some of us even have a college degree and high IQ and great people skills. :peaceful:
Raw,

Do you see the UPS Policy Book being used on a regular basis?

Sincerely,
I

Returntosender

Pesonally I looked through the policy book. Because I found it to be in my self interest. I've always wonder why one female could get away with stopping the belts. While I was getting yelled at for stoping the belts becuase I was going blown out. After asking questions I have discovered that part time sup is dating an hourly on the same sort. Read the Policy book and found out UPS does not allow management and hourly dating on the same sort. For me I found that interesting. I'm sure there other thngs I could uncover if I knew the book in detail.

Pesonally I looked through the policy book. Because I found it to be in my self interest. I've always wonder why one female could get away with stopping the belts. While I was getting yelled at for stoping the belts becuase I was going blown out. After asking questions I have discovered that part time sup is dating an hourly on the same sort. Read the Policy book and found out UPS does not allow management and hourly dating on the same sort. For me I found that interesting. I'm sure there other thngs I could uncover if I knew the book in detail.
But there in love.

Integrity

Binge Poster
In other words , I think the MEMBERS are saying friend#%& your policy book , thank you have a nice day .
gorrilla75jdw,

This may be how you feel or your opinion, but I don't see any evidence to support your statement.

It is not my policy book. It is the UPS Policy Book.

I hope you have a nice day also.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Back in 98, when I went into part-time management, I was given a copy to read through. It wasn't a huge book by no means, but It was detailed and expressed the way Jim Casey expected us to treat employees and each other. Thankfully I got out of management to drive. UPS has turned employees into numbers now which makes the policy book null and void. Thats how Ive been feeling the last 3 years.
HEFFERNAN,

It is not huge. It is 61 pages.

I see no evidence that the UPS Policies are null and void.

Just because a company is full of individuals who violate policy does not render the policies null and void.

Sincerely,
I