The UPS Policy Book with Integrity: Session 2: Preface Part 1

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It could be very possible that the whole Burger King francise could be in violation of Burger King red hat wearing policy.

Corporate Policy is adopted by a group very high in an organization.

Maybe by the Board of Directors or the Management Committee or a subcommittee of one of these boards.
Policy is hammered out in committees that have certain portions delegated to them. Then the board votes on the adoption of the committee.

What he was trying to say, so you can understand, is that a policy is only as good as the company that enforces the policy. If they do not enforce the policy, then for all practical matters it does not exist. There are also occasions where policy that was not enforced in the past sets a precedence that will make if difficult if not impossible to enforce in the future.

Now can you understand?

If not..........I would not know how else to help you.

d

swen

The UPS policy book is a management only referendum of how UPS should work, management should behave, and what they expect of the workers and the service they provide. BUT: since none of this is in your Union contract, its null and void. In grievance hearings in the past when asked to produce said Policy Book for referral, the company refused. I'm sure there is a copy floating online somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Swen

The link you posted is actually a violation of the TOS. You might want to consider removing it as UPS gets their panties in a wad when things like this are posted or linked to here.

I am assuming that since you are new here, you might not already know...........

Best and welcome to BC

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
Actually, that is exactly what it means. If you have a policy at burger king that all the employees have to wear red hats, and none of them are wearing red hats, your policy is now null and void, as it obviously no longer applies. A policy is a plan or method adopted by a group. The group is not adopting, you have no policy.

@Integrity , obviously your a member of management or a scab that adheres to the policy book , get a grip , pay some dues , or sit back and get rolled on , this aint Wisconsin buddro.

Policy is hammered out in committees that have certain portions delegated to them. Then the board votes on the adoption of the committee.

What he was trying to say, so you can understand, is that a policy is only as good as the company that enforces the policy. If they do not enforce the policy, then for all practical matters it does not exist. There are also occasions where policy that was not enforced in the past sets a precedence that will make if difficult if not impossible to enforce in the future.

Now can you understand?

If not..........I would not know how else to help you.

d

dannyboy,

I clearly understood Serve's post and I responded to it.

I just disagreed.

It was the post by gorilla75jdw that I did not understand.

Maybe you can help me with that one.

As far as your above quote; I understand your point of view but I respectfully disagree.

In large corporations, local practice does not always reflect written policy. This does not change written policy.

Failure to enforce written policy does not change written policy.

The level of difficulty of enforcing written policy based upon previous practice and enforcement failures does not change written policy.

It is my firm opinion that, the extent to which practices in a workplace match the policies of the company is the extent to which there is Integrity within that workplace.

Sincerely,
I

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Danny,
. Management people have to be planners, thinkers, creative, etc.

So, I refuse to accept that a good manager cannot run their operation the way they see fit. That is how the process works. Its the average manager that accepts that the decision was not their own.

Sorry for the unpopular answer.
gotta ask,,do you know any cms on a personal level? i would say every driver who talks to and knows there center manager has seen it a thousand times,, the center manager is told to make a bad decision then asked why the next day...cut 5 routes, you can only run 40 today,, next morning on conference call why was everyone over 9/5.. you simply do not question your superior

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Integ, I took the liberty of resizing your post. No reason to yell ;)
It was the post by gorilla75jdw that I did not understand.

Maybe you can help me with that one.
I will try, but you're asking me to do a nearly impossible task

As far as your above quote; I understand your point of view but I respectfully disagree.
That does not surprise, as we respectfully disagree on other items as well
In large corporations, local practice does not always reflect written policy. This does not change written policy. It might not change it, but what is it good for if it is not used. That is like me going out and buying a new car, only to leave it setting out behind the house and gather dust and leaves.

Failure to enforce written policy does not change written policy. Who is the one responsible for the enforcement of the written policy? Why are they not enforcing policy? Why have a policy if it is not enforced? That is like saying we have a law against me killing you, but then when I actually kill you, you dont do a thing to me. What good is having it if it is not used.

The level of difficulty of enforcing written policy based upon previous practice and enforcement failures does not change written policy. Well we find another issue to disagree on. There have been many times when the UPS policy has changed. IT changed due to many influences and the times in which we live. UPS's policy also reflects the changes in other large companies and their policy. So there is change to the policy. And some times, the lack of enforcement of a policy has led to the deletion of that policy.

It is my firm opinion that, the extent to which practices in a workplace match the policies of the company is the extent to which there is Integrity within that workplace.
Well how about this, something we can agree on. But we are talking about UPS In many areas of the company, there is a real lack of integrity.
Integ, something you keep repeating is the "Written" policy.

Does the fact that it is written make it more important than unwritten policy? In many cases, written policy has been in needed because people without integrity were violating the unwritten policy. So now that the same policy is written, why does it surprise you to discover those written policies are also not enforced by those same non-integrits?

Yes, I know, to put it in writing gives the company the appearance of having something in writing showing how full of integrity they are. IT also gives the company some legal limbs to hide behind in our litigious world. Also its allows everybody to be on the "same page" when it comes to policy. But what good are truckloads of policy if the company does not enforce the policy, written or not.

In todays legal system, if you do not actively enforce your policy company wide, and knowingly allow it to be violated, then there is no real protection in having it written. And no real reason for its existence.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
gotta ask,,do you know any cms on a personal level?
Helfire

Pman is management. And has been in several different layers during his career. So while he sees things where he is, there are many different areas of the company where things are very different.

But then again, it was the same company a decade ago that told us we were a top down company, where the customer was king, and management were there to remove obstacles keeping hourly personnel from excelling. And upper management were to do the same for lower management.

But now we are a bottom up company. Where everyone is in awe of the upper few that know it all, and tell the rest what to do. P-man is a refreshing throwback to the former. And his style of management is what I would love to see at the very top at UPS. But not in my lifetime, or possibly UPS's either.

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integ, I took the liberty of resizing your post. No reason to yell ;)
Integ, something you keep repeating is the "Written" policy.

Does the fact that it is written make it more important than unwritten policy? In many cases, written policy has been in needed because people without integrity were violating the unwritten policy. So now that the same policy is written, why does it surprise you to discover those written policies are also not enforced by those same non-integrits?

Yes, I know, to put it in writing gives the company the appearance of having something in writing showing how full of integrity they are. IT also gives the company some legal limbs to hide behind in our litigious world. Also its allows everybody to be on the "same page" when it comes to policy. But what good are truckloads of policy if the company does not enforce the policy, written or not.

In todays legal system, if you do not actively enforce your policy company wide, and knowingly allow it to be violated, then there is no real protection in having it written. And no real reason for its existence.

d
dannyboy,

Was there a problem with the post? The format looked fine to me.

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Integrity, it is obvious that you have good intentions, and you are always very polite and courteous even when others are not, but I think the main source of irritation that many, including myself, have with you is the fact that we don't come to Brown Cafe to listen to a PCM. I come here to share my experiences with others, to learn or perhaps clarify something for someone else. My point is, you have the best intentions but your audience is tiring of you. Dave.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity, it is obvious that you have good intentions, and you are always very polite and courteous even when others are not, but I think the main source of irritation that many, including myself, have with you is the fact that we don't come to Brown Cafe to listen to a PCM. I come here to share my experiences with others, to learn or perhaps clarify something for someone else. My point is, you have the best intentions but your audience is tiring of you. Dave.
UstateNYUPSer,

Thank you for the kind words.

I am very sorry that I irritate you.

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

Thank you for sharing why you come to the Brown Cafe.

I come to the Brown Cafe to engage in serious UPS discussions about matters of importance to many.

I am truly sorry you don't feel the same about these matters, but you are certainly entitled to feel any way you like about anything you like.

Sincerely,
I

over9five

Staff member
Thankfully, there is room for everyone to come to Brown Cafe for a million of their own reasons. It is also very easy to skip over subjects, threads, or posters that we choose to.

moreluck

golden ticket member
UstateNYUPSer,

I come to the Brown Cafe to engage in serious UPS discussions about matters of importance to many.

I am truly sorry you don't feel the same about these matters, but you are certainly entitled to feel any way you like about anything you like.

Sincerely,
I

No sweat, I........I'm an upstate irritant too....great club and growing all the time. Welcome aboard......a broad.

hellfire

Helfire

Pman is management. And has been in several different layers during his career. So while he sees things where he is, there are many different areas of the company where things are very different.

But then again, it was the same company a decade ago that told us we were a top down company, where the customer was king, and management were there to remove obstacles keeping hourly personnel from excelling. And upper management were to do the same for lower management.

But now we are a bottom up company. Where everyone is in awe of the upper few that know it all, and tell the rest what to do. P-man is a refreshing throwback to the former. And his style of management is what I would love to see at the very top at UPS. But not in my lifetime, or possibly UPS's either.

d
it is what it is,, i know that,, i just wonder if pman is one of those people that show up to a center and the warnings go out ,, shine your shoes , shave, press your uniform,,the entrance to the building has new mulch and the shrubs are trimmed , you know what im talking about ,, there is a group of management , who have at some point, lost all perspective on the reality of day to day operations , i wonder if pman is one of them, I am at the point now where i just dont care about all the silly micromanagement ,im allmost out, i come here after a few,,maybe alot of beers to shoot the bs,, im just calling it like i see it in my experience,, that being lower level operations are simply puppets, no real control

hellfire

UstateNYUPSer,

Sincerely,
I
do you really think this act fools anyone?? did you dream up this silly persona in hopes of....???

over9five

Staff member
it is what it is,, i know that,, i just wonder if pman is one of those people that show up to a center and the warnings go out ,, shine your shoes , shave, press your uniform,,the entrance to the building has new mulch and the shrubs are trimmed , you know what im talking about ,,

It's a good thought. What do you think, P-Man? Are things so cleaned up for you when you arrive, that you have no conception on how things are normally?