The Way it should be!

island1fox

A Scab, a person who has knowledge that the reason they are being employed is because another's due process hasn't come to a conclusion. I.e., a strike or an arbitration over a contract dispute. A scab is a scab no matter from the outside or the inside.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Irish,

Everyone entitled to their opinions.

As far as the "new employee" is concerned he is being hired because there is a job opening and opportunity for him and his family. There is no strike or picket line that he is crossing.

If after the entire grievance problem rolls forward --whether the 250 come back or not --is not his concern --except for the layoff list.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
No matter how much technology is brought to bear on the workforce, no matter if they are seasoned veterans or fresh born rookies, the company will still have high expectations and at times unrealistic demands of performance. The union isn't disappearing anytime soon. It's more weakened by new additions to the roster of right to work states and apathetic drivers that blow through their day to impress the mgmt than technology. Orion is just another way to justify route cutting, since the belief is that by saving miles it would take less time, which is also proving to be rather a fantasy. Diad didn't kill the union, neither did preload, nor PAS, or telematics. Orion is just another speed bump on the road to retirement.

Cashsux, if you are voluntarily taking employment from someone who is actively in a situation as this, I would think you are a scab. I think all part timers should refuse to bid the full time jobs until an arbitrator has ruled whether the strike was authorized or not. As far as the off the street scabs. There are legal actions that can be taken against them, such as informational picketing outside of their houses. If the company wants to turn the heat up on our guys. Then lets turn the heat up on these hired scabs. Unions are about Solidarity and any Teamster knowingly replacing another Teamster in this situation is a scab, plain and simple

Sent using BrownCafe App

If you want to consider me a scab, debate the matter at work,etc, that's one thing.

Show up at my house and we'll have a whole 'nother issue to settle.

Irishman Collins

Cachsux, in most cases it is perfectly legal to information picket 5 feet from the road. This is a practice not used much but it is a legal approach to the issue. I am not a lawyer but this is what I understand the case to be. This situation is most egregious and I understand both sides but for one brother or sister to voluntarily replace someone in this situation is unacceptable in my opinion.

Sent using BrownCafe App

710 steward

Irishman

I think you are focusing on the wrong things here. Let's say they promote 250 part timers to replace these drivers. Now the 250 displaced drivers then are awarded to go back to their jobs. UPS just added 250 additional full time employees to 804 's pension fund. That local just won 250 new jobs because UPS is trying to prove a point. UPS couldn't be playing this game more wrong. Over a month ago they begged these people to return to their trucks and deliver their routes. Over a month later they are now firing these people. Of course.they will eventually win out and return to work.

Would it make you feel better if these routes were delivered by management until they return? UPS saves a ton making this move. I for one love watching these idiots spend millions thinking they are making examples only to have it all blow in their faces. That's me though.

Irishman Collins

Irishman

I think you are focusing on the wrong things here. Let's say they promote 250 part timers to replace these drivers. Now the 250 displaced drivers then are awarded to go back to their jobs. UPS just added 250 additional full time employees to 804 's pension fund. That local just won 250 new jobs because UPS is trying to prove a point. UPS couldn't be playing this game more wrong. Over a month ago they begged these people to return to their trucks and deliver their routes. Over a month later they are now firing these people. Of course.they will eventually win out and return to work.

Would it make you feel better if these routes were delivered by management until they return? UPS saves a ton making this move. I for one love watching these idiots spend millions thinking they are making examples only to have it all blow in their faces. That's me though.
710, I hear you and I agree that it is very likely that these drivers will be returned to work but I fail to see how local 804 will gain an additional 250 full time jobs? These new full time employees will be laid off and most likely never obtain a full time job. I wouldn't like to see mgmt. do this work but to have part timers replace these full time jobs just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Catatonic

Nine Lives
... but to have part timers replace these full time jobs just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

I find it highly implausible that any part-timer would care what a full-timer thought after 25 years of full-timers throwing part-timers under the bus to pay for friend/T wages, healthcare and pension.

It occurs to me that a part-timer would think "what comes around goes around."

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Thanks for interacting with me!

So you will bypass your chance to go driving and have 2/3's of the driver positions filled with people younger than you?

You probably will never go driving at UPS if you make that move.
Oh, and thanks for the advice, but I only ask for advice from people I trust. Giving unsolicitated advice is for those who think they're smarter than everyone else.

Last edited:

Irishman Collins

I find it highly implausible that any part-timer would care what a full-timer thought after 25 years of full-timers throwing part-timers under the bus to pay for friend/T wages, healthcare and pension.

It occurs to me that a part-timer would think "what comes around goes around."
Why would you blame full timers for anything? Here are the facts, part timers out number full timers by more than two to one. The truth is if part timers cared enough to vote on their contract or union representatives we wouldn't be having these issues of longer part time progression and lower wages. If part timers voted and cared more you all would have all the leverage. I don't know if it's a generation thing or age thing but I pray that there were more part timers like yourself that were more vocal and outspoken no matter how wrong he or she may be

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited: