The WORST customer service I've EVER seen...ANYWHERE!

UPSGUY72

Technically you are correct, however good business sense dictates that the Sup should have went to talk with the customer to inform him he was screwed by the shipper. Then the next morning do a short trainning session with Mike to educated him on the policy in this situation. Once a customer gets to the building with requests to see a supervisor, then a sup damn sure needs to handle the problem one way or another. THAT'S why the get paid the big bucks.

I understand that but if the customer got the correct information from "Mike" there would never had been a issue.

M

Mike23

Ugh, ok...so I'm at fault for not knowing but the sups at fault for not training me then I'm at fault for not asking...round and round and round...I'm dizzy, let me get off the ride!

Slobberman

Banned
I think you forgot who is to blame for this whole thing . YOU Not your on road Sup. The customer has the right to refuse a package before they open it or pay the COD for it. Once they pay the COD or open yjey own it. If they have a problem they have to contact the shipper. If it was from a ebay seller then they can report the guy to ebay.

How ever UPS isn't in the job of sorting out problem between shippers and customer. We are a delivery company.

We work for the shipper keeping the SHIPPER happy is what counts.
Thank you.Why is it so hard to understand that Mike23 doesn't know how to to his job correctly?

babbsD

have the customer call 1-800 Pick UPS and put a corporate complaint in, they will move on that, that's about all that gets them to move...customer's sure don't seem to be top priority anymore, however if we didn't have customer's we wouldn't be in business...same thing happens in our building, but this will work...

DS

Fenderbender
Mike, I have to deal with the brokerage ripoff crap every day too.
The reason I say ripoff,is that the US shippers are unaware ,or really don't care about the brokerage fees that apply to pkgs imported to Canada.
If they upgraded to any service EXCEPT standard,most times all they have to pay is GST.
I tell this to EVERYONE that has to pay the ridiculous charges.
You should have told the person that you would be back tomorrow,and tell them to call the shipper.If they can't come to an agreement tell them to refuse it,
UPS can't charge him for something he did not get.
ebay and the credit card people do not condone fraud.

UPSGUY72

Ugh, ok...so I'm at fault for not knowing but the sups at fault for not training me then I'm at fault for not asking...round and round and round...I'm dizzy, let me get off the ride!

How long have you been a driver ? I find it hard to believe that this is the first costomer that wasn't sure they want the package or not.

I also find it hard to believe that you never used NoDel, Refused, before on your DIAD.

With that said stop blame everyone else.

I get people everyday that say what's in the box. They ask if they can open it I tell them once they open it I can't take it back and they will have to contact the shipper for a call tag if they want to return the item. I also tell them they have the right to refuse the package.

M

Mike23

How long have you been a driver ? I find it hard to believe that this is the first costomer that wasn't sure they want the package or not.

I also find it hard to believe that you never used NoDel, Refused, before on your DIAD.

With that said stop blame everyone else.

I get people everyday that say what's in the box. They ask if they can open it I tell them once they open it I can't take it back and they will have to contact the shipper for a call tag if they want to return the item. I also tell them they have the right to refuse the package.

Why do you think I'm here asking what I should have done? I DON'T KNOW the proper procedure as nobody's given me one. Everyone here has given me multiple ones. Is it a 'do whatever you want' situation like 90% of UPS 'protocols'?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Mike, I agree with you that your on car should have stepped to the plate and spoke with the customer; however, the situation never should have gotten to that point. I very rarely deal with brokerage fees on CODs here but the few that I have had have always been a PITA so I do feel for you there but, none the less, there are basically three options for the consigee. Pay the COD and accept the pkg, put the pkg on hold for P/U, or refuse the pkg. It's really that simple. I know that you were trying to do the right thing but in doing so created more of a hassle for yourself and your mgt team. We are simply a carrier and when asked by the shipper to collect COD fees that is all that we are required to do.

BrownSuit

The issue is between the customer and the eBay seller. That's the risk that he took by using eBay. When it sounds too good to be true . . .

As far as the COD, somebody mentioned earlier about having it removed, once a COD has entered the system, even at the shipper's request the COD tag should not be removed. I think somebody else pointed out though that this was a UPS instituted COD because the shipper failed to ship it Free Domicile thus paying for any brokerage and government fees incurred.

The shipper should have refused it before signing for the package and paying the brokerage charges. At that point it was his merchandise.

Even if the shipper had paid duties and taxes, once the consignee opened the package, refusing is no longer an option. If a shortage had occurred it should have been taken up with the shipper. It's not a UPS problem at that point.

I know this sounds cold, but we did everything we were supposed to do and were just the middleman at that point. It should have been taken up with the shipper.

As was pointed out eBay provides some degree of protection above just leaving feedback. There is no telling that the buyer was completely on the up and up either.

The reason that everybody was likely standing around and not wanting to get involved is that they didn't want their name attached giving advice on a non-UPS matter should a corporate complaint get filed.

Last edited:

Dustyroads

Here's a rule I learned 30 years ago, never, ever mess around with a cod. If the person doens't want to pay the first day, NM1, and go back the next day, and the next. If they do not wish to pay a cod on a package, they refuse the package, "NO COD'S" is one of the reasons that can be selected in the diad for reason to refuse.

In those cases, where the COD package was refused, the package will be returned to the shipper who demanded the COD, and they will be charged return freight on the package.

Back before DIAD we had COD waivers that would come through on paper, those ended with the DIAD, here. The issue is cut and dried, the cod is on the package, the consignee can choose to pay the cod or refuse the package, we (UPS) don't really have a dog in the fight.

Over the years I've seen a number of drivers get into trouble by "doing favors" for their customers over a cod delivery, it always turns out badly for the driver.