Theft from UPS??

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
UPS told all our shippers that if it would fit in the NDA Letter, it could go at that rate ($8.50 I think). One shipper shipped a thirty pound peice of plate metal in one.

So true! I've had situations like the above and the shipper (knowing what he had done) won't look at you in the eye. I aways say look...you want this to get there in one piece? 8 oz is the max! Repack or it'll be left behind....

I can remember one time not long after Next Day Air started up. UPS told all our shippers that if it would fit in the NDA Letter, it could go at that rate ($8.50 I think). One shipper shipped a thirty pound peice of plate metal in one.
The unlimited weight on NDA letters was for documents only, said so on the envelope and on the ASD forms.

wornoutupser

Uh, speak for yourself, I handle 2 NDA paks with usually 300-1000$ per day 5 days a week. Sure I could easily steal the cash; and someone lacking integrity might ( and probably get away with it!) It's people like you that think everyone's in the same boat, generalize and are naive.

When everyone's thinking the same thing, no one's thinking...

It's illegal to send cash......report it to the police!

pkgdriver

Lots o gramdmas gonna be arrested for sending the grand kids 20.00 for their birthday.

Now there may be a problem with 10,000 or over.

rod

Retired 22 years
My boy received a graduation card in the mail with the top of it split open. $50 cash gone. USPS didn't make a big deal about it.
Your chances of getting cash through the mail in a card around graduation time are pretty slim in most parts of the country.At least according to my brother who worked for the P.O. in Washington D.C. Never send cash.

wornoutupser

Ya better ask the IRS and the Postal Service as to why it is illegal to send the cash. I had to go to court many years ago on a NXDA pkg that I picked up and UPS opened to inspect in Louiseville.Trust me, it is NOT legal!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

mmm, well I know this could go over alot of everyone's heads here, but let's go over the facts here. I'll try to speak in laymens terms. step by step, so everyone can understand.

Customer counter,
Turn-In Money,
Shipped to Corporate,
NDA Pak.

Yeah, it must be "illegal" since UPS is doing it. Very bright. :knockedout: I think I'm in the wrong work climate if this is the brainpower we have going.

over9five

Staff member
I just looked at UPS.com. Can't find anywhere that says you can't ship cash.

Also looked at usps.com. It seems to *suggest* you CAN ship cash, but it's smarter to send a usps money order.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Its only illegal to ship cash if the cash is illegal to begin with.
ie; someone who is hiding assets, drug activity, payments to a hitman

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had 2 instances of theft in our center involving full-time drivers. In the first, the driver sent a personal package back to the shipper by using a tracking label (this was from the old pickup book) from one of his P/U customers. The only way that he got caught was the package came back damaged and the account whose tracking label had been used became suspicious. In the second, the driver had a gambling problem and pocketed over $16,000 in COD money. Both drivers are no longer with the company. We also had a driver who did not think that he had to pay, let alone file, his Federal or State income tax returns. He was led out of the bldg DURING THE PCM in handcuffs, spent the summer in jail and then, amazingly, came back to work. He has since retired on full pension.

Recently, we had several metro employees fired for stealing, one being the son of a former on-car.

A recurring theme in the previous posts to this thread is integrity. Integrity encompasses all phases of our lives, not just our jobs. Do we bring to the cashiers attention an error on his/her part in our favor?

Several posts talked about revenue recovery. I have 4 drop boxes on my route and I am always correcting weights on ASD's, usually on NDA packs. I bring obviously fraudulent weight discrepancies on any package, whether delivery or pickup, to mgt attention, who normally act promptly to adjust revenue. I also bring multiple pkgs w/same tracking number, along with weights, in for revenue adjustment. The one tactic noted above that is hard to correct is when the shipper uses the same address for both origin and destination, thus ensuring the lowest possible bill. Call tags are also hard, but not impossible, to adjust revenue on.

I personally applauded the decision by UPS to stop accepting cash. There were days that I would have over $10,000 in my pocket, which I would make every effort to convert into a bank check/money order, but the big PITA was having to have cash on hand to make change or being asked to either wait or come back because they had to go to the ATM. I can only imagine future DIAD versions being credit card enabled. Won't that be fun?!

Big Babooba

I personally applauded the decision by UPS to stop accepting cash. There were days that I would have over $10,000 in my pocket, which I would make every effort to convert into a bank check/money order, but the big PITA was having to have cash on hand to make change or being asked to either wait or come back because they had to go to the ATM. I can only imagine future DIAD versions being credit card enabled. Won't that be fun?!
I once had a COD for $85.00. The consignee had a slot machine in her living room. She opened it up and asked me if I would take it in quarters. I said no, see you tomorrow.