They want yer feeder jobs!!!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The problem with robot drivers is the fact that they do not know how to disobey traffic laws when needed. This is the reason for the crashes. Humans break the law all the time in order to avoid problems.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The problem with robot drivers is the fact that they do not know how to disobey traffic laws when needed. This is the reason for the crashes. Humans break the law all the time in order to avoid problems.
If robots were all that were allowed to drive there would be no reason to avoid an accident.

It's crazy to think about but it's coming quickly.

brett636

Even the article states that eliminating the driver is decades away. This technology will just relieve the driver of having to focus on keeping the truck between the lines for so many hours. Sorta like how auto pilots in aircraft do all the work between take off and landing while the humans handle the hard parts.

P

pickup

Thanks for going back on topic. You guys are the worst some times

Maybe Cheryl should install a Post-bot : a algorithmic thigamagig that can detect when a thread has really and definitively gone off track . It could then look at the original post and post a reply based on the terms used in the original post.

Hmm sort of like an automated truck correcting for human errors.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The insurance companies would have serious issues here with the liability. It would kill any costs that offset replacing the human element.

moldsporh

Those that drive for ups are aware of how and what the company preaches and trains for safety. There's a human element that IMO cannot be replaced by robots....the veteran drivers know exactly what I mean.

Do you think UPS will risk the possible consequences of an out of control feeder and what the reprocussions would be?

I know we have our thoughts on UPS but that would be a foolish move if you ask me.

A car broken down on the side of the road with 2 kids standing in front of the car arguing and walking around likely won't throw up a red flag to an automated system.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Those that drive for ups are aware of how and what the company preaches and trains for safety. There's a human element that IMO cannot be replaced by robots....the veteran drivers know exactly what I mean.

Do you think UPS will risk the possible consequences of an out of control feeder and what the reprocussions would be?

I know we have our thoughts on UPS but that would be a foolish move if you ask me.

A car broken down on the side of the road with 2 kids standing in front of the car arguing and walking around likely won't throw up a red flag to an automated system.
In what world would that not throw up a red flag?

A car on the shoulder means the computer will either move over or greatly reduce their speed.

Feeders should be pretty easy to replace. Package car will be harder.

It's going to be interesting because you are talking a lot of jobs!!!!

Faceplanted

Lol @ all these people thinking for some reason having a driver behind the wheel is safer

Self driving cars are already drastically safer, and we are in the early phases so it will only get safer.