They won't let me quit parking cars

Box Ox

Are you PT or FT? As per the contract if there are FT employees available PTers are prohibited from moving package cars.

At my center, lineup is done shortly before preload starts. So there aren't any FTers available. Any DOT certified preloader/peak temp driver might be asked to move cars. So I try to show up pretty last minute.

Box Ox

I do not feel comfortable doing it and have filed grievance to the union who has done absolutely nothing to help me. Is there a way (other than wrecking again) to make them stop forcing me to do this.

If I'm not comfortable trying to cram a PC anywhere I hop out and invite a sup to take over. They do it daily and know what the stakes are for me.

UPSGUY72

Before peak season started I said I would park cars for the building every morning since the person who previously did it would be cover driving. I have broken a mirror once and told them multiple times time and time again that I do NOT want to park these damn cars anymore (THEY CLAIMED I WOULD NOT BE DOING IT AFTER PEAK SEASON). I do not feel comfortable doing it and have filed grievance to the union who has done absolutely nothing to help me. Is there a way (other than wrecking again) to make them stop forcing me to do this. They say they I will be in trouble if I don't show up and it just doesn't make sense to me. Many people before me have quit doing it after a few days because they felt unsafe. Also I am not even near the lowest seniority... Please help.

Is this a bid job ??? We have bid jobs for vehicle positioners that get paid FT driver rate to park cars. Most drivers park back in there spot but with 120 +/- routes on a giving day the line up changes a little each day.

upschuck

At my center, lineup is done shortly before preload starts. So there aren't any FTers available. Any DOT certified preloader/peak temp driver might be asked to move cars. So I try to show up pretty last minute.
You don't need DOT card to move cars on UPS property, only if you go off lot would you need one.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Is this a bid job ??? We have bid jobs for vehicle positioners that get paid FT driver rate to park cars. Most drivers park back in there spot but with 120 +/- routes on a giving day the line up changes a little each day.

Those are 22.3 jobs. He's not having one of those. When I got hired they put me in X spot, and that's what I did until I went out to drive. The only way to get moved would be to be so terrible that they move you to alleviate a problem.

Before peak season started I said I would park cars for the building every morning since the person who previously did it would be cover driving. I have broken a mirror once and told them multiple times time and time again that I do NOT want to park these damn cars anymore (THEY CLAIMED I WOULD NOT BE DOING IT AFTER PEAK SEASON). I do not feel comfortable doing it and have filed grievance to the union who has done absolutely nothing to help me. Is there a way (other than wrecking again) to make them stop forcing me to do this. They say they I will be in trouble if I don't show up and it just doesn't make sense to me. Many people before me have quit doing it after a few days because they felt unsafe. Also I am not even near the lowest seniority... Please help.
So are you a car washer? If you are it's better than slinging packages.

QKRSTKR

Go slow, make sure mirrors on other cars are pushed In. Watch tail swing. Little moves. Be careful using word like "unsafe".

UPSGUY72

Those are 22.3 jobs. He's not having one of those. When I got hired they put me in X spot, and that's what I did until I went out to drive. The only way to get moved would be to be so terrible that they move you to alleviate a problem.

Not in my building they are FT jobs that pay drivers rate.

barnyard

KTM rider
When you are parking into a tight spot, stop and get a spotter. Do it every, single time. Eventually, they will find someone that will do it without. If they ask why you are getting a spotter say, "It is the safest way for me to back into this spot."

In my building, we have 2 PTers that park.