Things FedEx Customers Should Know

quadro

If I did sneak a camera in and the general public saw the way their pkgs were handled, they would be appalled.
Would they? I always tell my customers that their package needs to be able to withstand a 3 foot fall in case it falls off of the belt. Given that the vast majority of packages arrive undamaged, would most customers even care as long as their packages arrived undamaged and on time?

I notice you didn't answer another post that dealt with widespread falsification regarding delivery times and working off the clock. Is that because you look the other way too? I've noticed a big push lately to have people sign-off on the 2-5 Acceptable Conduct Policy.
What proof do you have that falsification is widespread? As for the push to sign off on 2-5, I do agree that it seems like overkill but I think there is another perspective. I've always believed that employees shouldn't wonder if something will get them fired, they should know what will get them fired. That way there is no misunderstanding of what is and what is not acceptable. The memo that I got recently outlined several examples that would likely result in termination. Some I knew would get you fired and some I just thought you would get a letter. Now I have a better understanding of the policy. I don't work off the clock and falsify deliveries and I really don't see why anyone would as it is very clear what the consequences are. Your manager can be a total tool and try to get you in to trouble but as long as you don't violate the rules, then you really don't have anything to worry about. Unless of course, you suck at what you do and everyone who runs your route runs it better than you do.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Would they? I always tell my customers that their package needs to be able to withstand a 3 foot fall in case it falls off of the belt. Given that the vast majority of packages arrive undamaged, would most customers even care as long as their packages arrived undamaged and on time?

What proof do you have that falsification is widespread? As for the push to sign off on 2-5, I do agree that it seems like overkill but I think there is another perspective. I've always believed that employees shouldn't wonder if something will get them fired, they should know what will get them fired. That way there is no misunderstanding of what is and what is not acceptable. The memo that I got recently outlined several examples that would likely result in termination. Some I knew would get you fired and some I just thought you would get a letter. Now I have a better understanding of the policy. I don't work off the clock and falsify deliveries and I really don't see why anyone would as it is very clear what the consequences are. Your manager can be a total tool and try to get you in to trouble but as long as you don't violate the rules, then you really don't have anything to worry about. Unless of course, you suck at what you do and everyone who runs your route runs it better than you do.

Widespread falsification is fact, particularly as it pertains to doing work during the 13/14 cycle. You know it's anecdotal because nobody is going to admit to it on either the hourly or management side. I invite anyone else who is aware of this to also give their anecdotal evidence. Management looks the other way because it makes their numbers look good and there are plenty of managers who allow it to go on and on and on because it works to their advantage.

quadro

Widespread falsification is fact, particularly as it pertains to doing work during the 13/14 cycle. You know it's anecdotal because nobody is going to admit to it on either the hourly or management side. I invite anyone else who is aware of this to also give their anecdotal evidence. Management looks the other way because it makes their numbers look good and there are plenty of managers who allow it to go on and on and on because it works to their advantage.
If it's anecdotal, how are you presenting it as fact? There is simply no way that you have any proof that falsification is widespread, unless, of course, you are not who you say you are. What I do know as fact is the few employees in my location who have been terminated over the last 12 - 18 months for falsification. Stupid stuff that they didn't need to do. Stuff that would have worked to a manager's advantage but was still falsification.

I do wonder though, how many managers appear to turn a blind eye, when they actually know full well what is going on but choose to give the employee another chance. I've seen this once or twice and I would suspect it happens from time to time but no manager is going to admit to it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If it's anecdotal, how are you presenting it as fact? There is simply no way that you have any proof that falsification is widespread, unless, of course, you are not who you say you are. What I do know as fact is the few employees in my location who have been terminated over the last 12 - 18 months for falsification. Stupid stuff that they didn't need to do. Stuff that would have worked to a manager's advantage but was still falsification.

I do wonder though, how many managers appear to turn a blind eye, when they actually know full well what is going on but choose to give the employee another chance. I've seen this once or twice and I would suspect it happens from time to time but no manager is going to admit to it.

It's fact because I've been around enough to know what's going on. If you want to be an ostrich, go right ahead. Plenty of co-workers have let me know how they "beat the system" all the time. As far as me not being who I say I am, what does that have to do with this discussion? The company knows what's going on. There's no way to keep statistics on something that doesn't even exist, right? Managers look the other way unless they're going to get hung for something. At that point, they find Jesus and begin the witch hunt.

I don't do it, and I've never done it, mainly because I'm good at what I do. Those that aren't so good make up the difference by faking it and trying to beat the system. Most of the time they get away with it, mainly because nobody is going to look very closely at a "star" who never has lates or any other issues.

quadro

It's fact because I've been around enough to know what's going on. If you want to be an ostrich, go right ahead. Plenty of co-workers have let me know how they "beat the system" all the time. As far as me not being who I say I am, what does that have to do with this discussion? The company knows what's going on. There's no way to keep statistics on something that doesn't even exist, right? Managers look the other way unless they're going to get hung for something. At that point, they find Jesus and begin the witch hunt.
It's not fact because you say so. Get real. If your coworkers think that putting their jobs in jeopardy is beating the system then perhaps you could do them a favor and educate them on how not to lose their job. My comment about not being who you say you are was because an hourly employee wouldn't have access to the data needed to substantiate the claim of widespread falsification. So if you have that data, you must not be the hourly employee that you say you are. From what I've seen managers look the other way just as much to protect the employee as they do to maintain their numbers. Neither of which is right or ethical.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's not fact because you say so. Get real. If your coworkers think that putting their jobs in jeopardy is beating the system then perhaps you could do them a favor and educate them on how not to lose their job. My comment about not being who you say you are was because an hourly employee wouldn't have access to the data needed to substantiate the claim of widespread falsification. So if you have that data, you must not be the hourly employee that you say you are. From what I've seen managers look the other way just as much to protect the employee as they do to maintain their numbers. Neither of which is right or ethical.

Sigh. INSTRUCTIONS: Insert head in sand and ignore the facts.

quadro

Sigh. INSTRUCTIONS: Insert head in sand and ignore the facts.
Didn't know you were a technical writer. I suppose you are the engineer that came up with the procedure too.

As soon as you present some facts, not anecdotal evidence, not hearsay, then I will gladly consider them. You have yet to provide one shred of factual evidence to support your claim of widespread falsification. Do some employees falsify? I've no doubt that they do as I've seen it. Is it widespread? In my opinion, no and no one here, not even TGMF (The Great MrFedEx) can prove that it is. Your belief that it is, is still only your opinion. If you want to present it as your opinion that's fine but in the meantime you might take a page out of your own manual and take your head out of you know where.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Didn't know you were a technical writer. I suppose you are the engineer that came up with the procedure too.

As soon as you present some facts, not anecdotal evidence, not hearsay, then I will gladly consider them. You have yet to provide one shred of factual evidence to support your claim of widespread falsification. Do some employees falsify? I've no doubt that they do as I've seen it. Is it widespread? In my opinion, no and no one here, not even TGMF (The Great MrFedEx) can prove that it is. Your belief that it is, is still only your opinion. If you want to present it as your opinion that's fine but in the meantime you might take a page out of your own manual and take your head out of you know where.

Ask around your station, or is that a cubicle at Borg HQ? If you were actually a courier you'd have a freaking clue as to what I'm talking about. It must be hard to type your replies when your head is you know where. Quit acting like you don't know, because you do. Keep on defending your icons. Like I said, you can't prove a "fact" that the company has no record of, and that's because they'd just like to keep it an unknown. As an expert on "unknowing", you should understand it perfectly. Once again, you have FAILED.

FedEx2000

I don't do it, and I've never done it, mainly because I'm good at what I do. Those that aren't so good make up the difference by faking it and trying to beat the system. Most of the time they get away with it, mainly because nobody is going to look very closely at a "star" who never has lates or any other issues.

Let me get this straight......you don't falsify or cheat the system and are by your account a "7" courier. So everything that FedEx asks couriers to do IS possible without cutting corners/falsifying? If that is the case, why have you so adamantly stated that FedEx is asking too much, falsification is rampant, etc......are you one of the only couriers capable of these feats? I doubt it....many are quite capable.

Sure there's falsification, people get fired for it all the time. I think it may have been more of an issue in the past, most, not all, of us in mgmt realize that it's not worth it b/c the truth eventually comes out. If you cook the numbers this year, you are never going to make numbers next year when RSOPE looks at the historical data to set next years goals. Why set yourself up for failure?

As for your accusations that mgmt looks the other way intentionally....i'm not going to say it has never happened, but i think it has a lot more to do with the fact that we don't have the time to pick through everyone's route stop by stop and determine if anything looks out of whack. Couriers talk amongst themselves and other drivers often know these things are going on well before a manager knows about it. Is it ethical to not say anything to mgmt if you know it's happening? GAP reports help some, but aren't perfect. Unless something really jumps out, or a customer calls in a complaint, we just don't have the time to go through line by line. I also agree with Quadro in the fact that I think most mgrs use the first instance as a "learning experience" and tell the courier "Don't do this again, or else...", if they choose to do it again, they deserve their fate. I wouldn't call that looking the other way to make numbers look better.

quadro

Ask around your station, or is that a cubicle at Borg HQ? If you were actually a courier you'd have a freaking clue as to what I'm talking about. It must be hard to type your replies when your head is you know where. Quit acting like you don't know, because you do. Keep on defending your icons. Like I said, you can't prove a "fact" that the company has no record of, and that's because they'd just like to keep it an unknown. As an expert on "unknowing", you should understand it perfectly. Once again, you have FAILED.
How would I know what you're talking about when you don't know what you're talking about? I have been the station SAL before the SAA position was created and I work closely with our station's SAA. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I tell people every day that they cannot enter a missing POD and they don't. Our station is one of the best in the district for POD compliance and it's not because people falsify them. The people I'm defending are those you chose to libel with your unfounded claims.

Lastly, if FedEx has no record of any facts of falsification, how can you keep claiming that widespread falsification is a fact? It is your opinion and it's a wrong one at that.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Who cares? UPS is the same way. Packages are jammed, crushed, smashed. I've seen alot. Most of us have inside the operations. Catch fire? Seen it. One employee spiked a Bose radio last week! Seriously, picked it up and threw it down like they scored a touchdown. Another spiked a small, someones contact lenses, in front of a supervisor, and sup said nothing)...

UPSBluRdg03

Thats because the majority of the part time sups are punk kids who are just trying to get some help with college and could care less about any customer or their property that we are shipping.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Who cares? UPS is the same way. Packages are jammed, crushed, smashed. I've seen alot. Most of us have inside the operations. Catch fire? Seen it. One employee spiked a Bose radio last week! Seriously, picked it up and threw it down like they scored a touchdown. Another spiked a small, someones contact lenses, in front of a supervisor, and sup said nothing)...

Just like us. We used to use small pkgs for "footballs" when our freight was late. If a manager saw that now, you'd be gone. The point is that both companies try and convince customers that their pkgs are handled with care when that's not exactly the case. The original discussion dealt with one of our supervisors who thinks FedEx doesn't mis-handle pkgs. I was just trying to set him straight and let him know that productivity always wins out over careful handling.

LTFedExer

Just like us. We used to use small pkgs for "footballs" when our freight was late. If a manager saw that now, you'd be gone. The point is that both companies try and convince customers that their pkgs are handled with care when that's not exactly the case. The original discussion dealt with one of our supervisors who thinks FedEx doesn't mis-handle pkgs. I was just trying to set him straight and let him know that productivity always wins out over careful handling.
So you're admitting you did this.......very nice. I'm not, for a second, saying it doesn't happen. But, don't make it sound like it's everyone in every hub/station.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So you're admitting you did this.......very nice. I'm not, for a second, saying it doesn't happen. But, don't make it sound like it's everyone in every hub/station.

That was many moons ago, but I'm sticking to my guns. In local sorts and minisorts at local and regional ramps, pkgs are abused and mis-handled all the time. Maybe MEM and OAK have enough automation to keep it somewhat in check. Their problems usually center around theft.