Things I've Missed Out On, Because I'm a UPS'er.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A lot of sleep.
why would that be..because of decisions that you make to screw us out of more time when you know its wrong...oh wait, thats I.E., my apologies hoaxster!

Getting up early in the day ... my body thinks 7:30 -8 is the time to get up. Not the 3, 4 or 5 in the a.m. I have the clock set for over the years. And a few years it was set at midnight.
As to your implications ... I never lost any sleep over my decisions over the years. I make decisions and move on.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A bunch of warm dinners.

Those for sure!
My wife stopped trying to synchronize dinner at our house 25 years or more ago.
My daughter seemed to never be at ease with this ... I guess she wanted a "Clever" household.
UPS is not conducive to the ideal dinner as portrayed on Leave it to Beaver.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Last minute getaways with friends or families. Having to pick all vacations in November for the following year puts a damper on any spur of the moment activities.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Last minute getaways with friends or families. Having to pick all vacations in November for the following year puts a damper on any spur of the moment activities.

That is just plain stupid in some, if not most, centers. I am constantly amazed at how little some centers actually know how to manage anything. I swear a lot of the sups I have worked with couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I can honestly say I've never missed anything really important because of this job, and the stuff I have missed I would probably have missed anyway because I would have been working somewhere else if I wasn't working here. Because it's a physical job it can be a challenge getting my workouts in, but that's the kind of challenge I like.

rod

Retired 22 years

I missed my fair share of last minute fishing trips and things like that but I missed very few of my kids school activiities. My family was very understanding about what I did and knew I couldn't be at EVERYTHING. I don't think I missed any band concerts, choir concerts or Christmas shows. I was noted for breaking off route to attend these things. I may have been a little late or had to leave a little early but the kids always knew I was there. I was the UPS guy standing in the back with a big smile on his face-----------------at least until I had to go back out and finish my route. P.S. Dear management---when you knew I wanted to get off in time to go to a kid thing and you loaded me up with extra stops because you assumed I would throw caution to the wind just to get done in time----it backfired on to you -------you paid dearly----boy did you pay.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Those for sure!
My wife stopped trying to synchronize dinner at our house 25 years or more ago.
My daughter seemed to never be at ease with this ... I guess she wanted a "Clever" household.
UPS is not conducive to the ideal dinner as portrayed on Leave it to Beaver.
I have missed out on quality time with the BEAVER. Just to tired when I got home!

bigbrownhen

I was fortunate to make most of the kids events. When my oldest played football, I made it there by half-time usually, took a day off or on vacation for the away games that were too far away. Hubby and I always made sure one of us was there. Option days and vacations can be used to make important events. Most graduations are held on Sundays here, so that wasn't an issue with my boys.
Life as a UPSer means eating dinner rather late and sometimes not with the family during the week. You can always make quality time in other ways. If kids go to bed early, read a bedtime story and tuck them in, be the one to make their breakfast, take them to school. There is always the weekend for family time as well. Just be together is all it takes. The job provides a good life for our families, it just takes alot of time from them during the week.

Steve, I comend you for the dedication you have to your kids. They know how much you love them and how hard you try to spend time with them.

CustomerConcern

I have 4 kids from ages 8 through 15, and yeah there is a bunch of during the week crap (recitals, plays, ceremonys, sports, dinners, etc.) that have been missed. But without out htis job and the benefits noe of that would have been possible along with house, food, cars, vacations. Before Peak Season, I take a week off (usually week before Thanksgiving) and each day pull 1 kid out of school and do whatever they want (movies, games, shopping, lunch, whatev) because I know I am not gonna be around for the next month and a half. Also weekends and strictly family, I leave work at work. I don't envy you single parents, thats one crappy job and you gotta do what ever makes it work for you.