Things I've Missed Out On, Because I'm a UPS'er.

TheKid

Family dinners, dance recitals, little league games, school conferences, school plays, softball games, Christmas parties, leisure time, dinner parties. . . . . .

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
c4-5 herniated; c5-6 gone, replaced by the dead body part of some indigent crackhead fused to a metal plate and screwed into my spinal cord; c6-7 herniated.
Yikes!

I was fortunate to make most of the kids events. When my oldest played football, I made it there by half-time usually, took a day off or on vacation for the away games that were too far away. Hubby and I always made sure one of us was there. Option days and vacations can be used to make important events. Most graduations are held on Sundays here, so that wasn't an issue with my boys.
Life as a UPSer means eating dinner rather late and sometimes not with the family during the week. You can always make quality time in other ways. If kids go to bed early, read a bedtime story and tuck them in, be the one to make their breakfast, take them to school. There is always the weekend for family time as well. Just be together is all it takes. The job provides a good life for our families, it just takes alot of time from them during the week.

Steve, I comend you for the dedication you have to your kids. They know how much you love them and how hard you try to spend time with them.
Thanks, bbh! Today was one of those days. I ran my butt off, had late air, left pkgs for the next guy over, who called and brown nosed em back to me, still ran hard, met the ex to talk about our settlement agreement over lunch, rushed through pick ups, picked up my girls AT 5pm, rode bikes, roller bladed, swam, all while I roasted a chicken in the oven, (made brownies this morning), got the girls showered, fed, and instead of watching TV or listening to the radio, I did their hair in ponytails, while laughing, and talking about things that I never would have spoken about, had I not ran my butt off. Thank you God for such a great day! Oh, and now they're in bed, asleep, because I refuse to get on this computer, talk on the phone, or drown them out with any of life's distractions.

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

Nimnim

The Nim
I missed out on plenty of gatherings with friends. They always plan things on weeknights making it nigh impossible to make.

over9five

Staff member
I missed out on plenty of gatherings with friends. They always plan things on weeknights making it nigh impossible to make.

So true. Even going out on a Friday night (like everyone else) was impossible. More so now, now that they cut so many routes on Friday...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yikes!

Thanks, bbh! Today was one of those days. I ran my butt off, had late air, left pkgs for the next guy over, who called and brown nosed em back to me, still ran hard, met the ex to talk about our settlement agreement over lunch, rushed through pick ups, picked up my girls AT 5pm, rode bikes, roller bladed, swam, all while I roasted a chicken in the oven, (made brownies this morning), got the girls showered, fed, and instead of watching TV or listening to the radio, I did their hair in ponytails, while laughing, and talking about things that I never would have spoken about, had I not ran my butt off. Thank you God for such a great day! Oh, and now they're in bed, asleep, because I refuse to get on this computer, talk on the phone, or drown them out with any of life's distractions.

Steve, I fully understand where you are coming from as I have been there myself; however, I worry that in your rush to get done early you may put safety and customer service on the back burner. Late air? Rushed through pickups? Road rage? Please be careful out there. Dave.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yikes!

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg
Beautiful. Just beautiful. You are doing a lovely job!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I missed a few things over the years. No one seems the worse for wear. Parents now days think they not only have to go to the actual event, but also the meetings, practices etc. Can't remember my Dad being at too much stuff and he was done at 4 everyday. I'll be an empty nester this fall. Finally a reason to get home early! (After a short period of sadness of course).

menotyou

bella amicizia
I missed a few things over the years. No one seems the worse for wear. Parents now days think they not only have to go to the actual event, but also the meetings, practices etc. Can't remember my Dad being at too much stuff and he was done at 4 everyday. I'll be an empty nester this fall. Finally a reason to get home early! (After a short period of sadness of course).
My Dad was a BA, and was bringing his office into the 20th century, so he was very busy. Mom was stay at home. Dad would take every saturday morning to hang out with me and take me to play tennis, fish, boating, something. Sundays we cooked all day and watched wrestling(back when it was camp tv). We ate dinner together whenever possible. I still think Sundays are my favorite day.

klein

Für Meno :)
Well, besides missing an MRI appointment, and a traffic ticket that I could have easily beaten.
I really did not miss anything, but actually gained : My liitle browncafe sweetie, menotyou ! :)