Things I've Missed Out On, Because I'm a UPS'er.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I think about what I have gained. While some folks think that they cant spend time with their kids, that's what weekends are for. Sure you'll miss some of the school activities, important ones, call out for them. As far as sports are concerned, the wife takes my son to baseball practice on the weeknights, I do the Saturday games. I honestly feel that quality time over quanity makes up for it.

Some people impression of spending time with their kids is slapping on a tv show to watch with them. Others it's all about being at every little thing that goes through their life. While you may be one or the other, the fact is you work for a company that cares about neither. I don't hold that fact against them, they pay me for my time. In return it allows me to take vacations and do other things with my children that they'll remember when they get older.

Sure you can go through UPS and be resentful that they shove you out there all night, that you get home to pat your kids goodnight before they fall asleep. Or you can make the best of it and understand what it is and do your part to help the solution. File your 8hr requests, file your over 9.5, just for examples. Either way you slice it, you can make your situation the best it can be, or you can complain and be miserable for 20plus years, your choice.

bigbrownhen

Steve your girls are adorable and looked like they had a great time with you. I understand the need to get to them asap, but keep in mind, your job provides alot for them as well. Please be careful, don't burn yourself out so you can be there for the grandkids too. Your girls are old enough to understand what the job is, if you miss a a few things here and there, they are still gonna love you just as much. Just them knowing how you are there for them is a HUGE part of them growing to be confident, successful adults. Again, your dedication is commendable. Too bad not all parents in this world are so dedicated, many kids these days are not a priority to them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am concerned because I don't want him to jeopardize his career. He needs that to take care of the little princesses he is rearing.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Am I the only one concerned about the late airs and rushing through his pickups?
I hear you, and have addressed those concerns on my end. I have arranged with my pick ups on those days I need to blast through the route, and they have been quite understanding and accomodating. As for the late air, I have stopped mismanaging my time, and the late air problem is gone. As far as the road rage, there never was any. I've been on this route for over 6 years, Upstate, and know about the traffic issues, so I'm not gonna fly off the handle at anyone, it just ain't who I be. ( Waiting on the grammar correction, : ) ) As for the warning letter I was supposed to get, and even saw waiting for me on the center manager's desk? It wasn't given to me before my vacation, so I guess, POOF, non-issue.

Did I satisfy your mind with this post?

rod

Retired 22 years
I hear you, and have addressed those concerns on my end. I have arranged with my pick ups on those days I need to blast through the route, and they have been quite understanding and accomodating. As for the late air, I have stopped mismanaging my time, and the late air problem is gone. As far as the road rage, there never was any. I've been on this route for over 6 years, Upstate, and know about the traffic issues, so I'm not gonna fly off the handle at anyone, it just ain't who I be. ( Waiting on the grammar correction, : ) ) As for the warning letter I was supposed to get, and even saw waiting for me on the center manager's desk? It wasn't given to me before my vacation, so I guess, POOF, non-issue.

Did I satisfy your mind with this post?

I hope you understand that your pickups will be "accomodating and understanding" only by the little guy at the shippng and receiving dept. If a problem comes up his bosses won't be so nice. The shipping clerks bosses care about your family life as much as UPS does--zilch. CYA bro. Don't risk your job running around like a chicken with your head cut off just to get off early enought to braid your kids hair or hit a soccer game. Sorry for the lecture but I've been down this road before and believe me "when the chips are down- you are on your own".

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I hope you understand that your pickups will be "accomodating and understanding" only by the little guy at the shippng and receiving dept. If a problem comes up his bosses won't be so nice. The shipping clerks bosses care about your family life as much as UPS does--zilch. CYA bro. Don't risk your job running around like a chicken with your head cut off just to get off early enought to braid your kids hair or hit a soccer game. Sorry for the lecture but I've been down this road before and believe me "when the chips are down- you are on your own".
The wise man speaks.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My last stop is a Pack-n-Ship. Whenever I try to get done a little early someone has to come in with a pkg at the last minute. If I leave my area at 4:55 its a banner day.

FEGuy

Let's see...I've missed out on ever being out of shape, or fat...ever being laid off, even for ONE day in the past 30 years...missed out on EVER worrying if I would have a paycheck or being able to support my family...missed out on ever being poor, or for that matter wanting for anything...missed out on divorce or any of the family issues that seem to be so prevalent among posters here. Still on wife #1, and my kids love me dearly...
Yes, missed out on a LOT of things being a UPSer. All of them bad.

Griff

I missed out on working for a company that appreciates the hard work and sacrifice of its employees.