Things that customers actually do for their driver...

StoptheAct1212

So
An occasional bottle of water or permission to refill your water bottle are modest gestures that go a long way.

$50 or $100 just to do our jobs is out of line.
Some people just do stuff like that... if i was well off, i would occasionally take care of people that take care of me... we dont get tipped everyday.. but its nice to see

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don

Dont Care about where i am. Im serving customer.... but dont know if you still drive... there is a new option when delivery is out of area.. met customer on road.... to justify out of area delivery

Tried that. Met a contractor friend who lives on my route at a local plumbing supply store. Tried to hand him pkg. DIAD wanted signature.

upschuck

...and that appreciation would be enhanced if you were to say "thanks, but no thanks" when offered a tip of that amount...
Most people insist on it, and find it as an insult, if you don't take their offering, whatever it is.

If it is something small, I'll take it, and say thank you, if bigger, I will say something, and take it if they insist.

upschuck

Would you feel right accepting a $100 tip?
It they were well off, then yes, if not then I would somehow give it back to them.

Better a rich person give me that than a dollar, which is like a penny to me and you.

I've had as high as a $50 tip, for delivering a letter.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Tried that. Met a contractor friend who lives on my route at a local plumbing supply store. Tried to hand him pkg. DIAD wanted signature.

My point is his house is DR.

I had this same thing happen the other day. Buy at one Advance Auto asked if I deliver to his house. I do and gave him his package and it came up red that I wasn't at the right location. When I selected "met on area" it said I needed a signature. So I just used the "other" option and it let me DR it MC-man.

I would guess that UPS wants verification that the person got it and you aren't just going it to Joe Blow walking down the street who claims to be someone else, hence the request for signature when not at the proper GPS tag.

TheMasochist

200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back
Last peak I had a delivery of two fold up couches. They each weighed around 90lbs (thank you WayFair), and of course it was raining. I delivered out the back and walked each one up a small driveway. It was faster than using the cart. Anyways, they were to big to put into even a larger DR bag and he had an awning that provided just enough cover. I left both of them side-by-side under the awning and turned to walk back to the PC. As I'm walking the guy opens his door and shouts at me "what the friend*@!". That was my tip from that guy. :/

Other tips or appreciation I have received are bottles of water or gatorade, $20, $50, seasonal egg-nog to take home, vanity coffee cups from the company, vanity stylus, WaWa gift cards, use of their hose to cool off during the heat. I've even had a customer tell me -almost demanding to take a dip in the pool during the heat wave! I almost did, too!

I love the "thank yous" tho, the most. I'm not talking about the open the door and simply say "thank you" type. I'm talking about the ones where they put the hand out to shake your hand type.