Things We Should Not Be Doing

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
After reading "From The Chairman" I am motivated...to do the exact opposite of what Fred is asking for. While he turns the screws once again, we need to do our best to force him to back-off if possible. That means not turning in Sales Leads, not fulfilling the Purple Promise, and not being a stellar employee. Even if we continued to play Fred's game, he'd keep right on with the takeaways.

Do not help fellow couriers make service. Most of you already know that this will go against you on SPH anyway because leaving your area to help someone will show a gap, and create a window of "unproductive" time. Being a hero isn't appreciated anyway. The same goes for pickups. If you are having a light day, stretch it out so you are unavailable to help rescue other drivers. Don't perform reattempts or indirects, and make the customer come get their package if at all possible. In other words, do the bare minimum possible.

Be safe. That means driving the speed limit. You'll find your stress level goes way down when you simply no longer care and just perform your job with the mindset that you are just driving around delivering boxes, much like the Ground guy does.

When you return to the building...just leave. Don't volunteer to work the cans or help code at a "coding party". Most of the time management is somewhere else anyway. If you have specialized training in HAZMAT or International, consider leaving the position and let management find somone else to take your place. If you scan documents, slow it down as much as you can.

We have no means of fighting back except slowing down and performing a lower quality of work that results in less revenue for FedEx. Before everyone jumps on me, please consider what other options you have to express your displeasure at having your insurance premiums and deductibles raised, and your coverage reduced. Every day, Fred is lowering your net income by making you pay instead of the company. While lowering your overall compensation, he is simultaneously raising expectations.

Be smart, and don't play his game. Mr. Smith could care less if you live or die, and if you slam into a tree and kill yourself, your route will be retired, and your family will get a cheap card and flowers saying how much you meant to FedEx. That's it. You'll be replaced, and life will go on.

Evereything I've said about Ground getting XS and E2 is true, and this was confirmed to me by someone high enough in the company to know. XS will be first, with E2 coming later. No specific changeover date has been announced.

Don't do anything you don't have to do, because there is no payoff for you at this company except increased stress and aggravation if you are a "performer". Like I've said, Fred woud love to get rid of you anyway. Don't play this bastard's game any more.

STFXG

I was also told by a SM to prepare for a second peak when ups goes on strike. Who to believe...

hypo hanna

A ups strike would be a disaster for the shippers. During the last one there were plenty of fedex drivers willing to kill themselves absorbing that extra freight. Very few of those types left today.

hypo hanna

We're not going on strike. A strike in this economy would be public relations suicide.
It seems to me the low morale of the FedEx workforce only strengthens your bargaining position. When the shippers know there isn't much of an alternative they will put pressure on ups mgmt to come to the table fast.

vantexan

A ups strike would be a disaster for the shippers. During the last one there were plenty of fedex drivers willing to kill themselves absorbing that extra freight. Very few of those types left today.

I work with a bunch of guys who'd gladly work 60 hrs a week. OT is the only way to get a decent paycheck. What most likely will happen is much of it would go Ground and they'd be hiring temp workers to deal with it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It seems to me the low morale of the FedEx workforce only strengthens your bargaining position. When the shippers know there isn't much of an alternative they will put pressure on ups mgmt to come to the table fast.

Nice...another way to get back at Fred. During the last strike the team effort was amazing and we dealt with some very heavy volume. Now that there is no team, just a bunch of "I's" up at the top, let them figure it all out if UPS strikes. Nobody over here cares anymore. We'd just bring it all back undelivered, just like during our successful Peak 2012.

vantexan

We are hiring a lot of part-timers too. That would go hand-in-hand with an overnight-only Express division.

We'll soon be absorbing a route that we cancel every Monday. Two of the rts on my loop will be restructured along with some others. It will insure they get 10-11 hrs a day on 4X10's. This will at least last until they get rid of P2, and then we'll restructure to 5X8's most likely. I think this is a likely scenario for most extended areas. As of right now I'm betting I could work FT out here until I'm 60, 9 years from now, if I chose too. Remains to be seen if I can get some OT, not happening currently.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I hope you can Van, I unfortunately have many more years until I can retire.

I'll ride this trainwreck out as long as the 401k match and portable pension at least gives me some incentive, then its abandon ship to the first good job offer in the improving economy and an eternity of bad mouthing Fedex.

Even in the grave!

How many of us long term Fedex employees who remember when we were actually treated well would have ever thought we would be saying stuff like this?

hypo hanna

I work with a bunch of guys who'd gladly work 60 hrs a week. OT is the only way to get a decent paycheck. What most likely will happen is much of it would go Ground and they'd be hiring temp workers to deal with it.

There will always be a few who will work every hour they can get but are decidedly less of them around then there was back then. Ground will get all they can handle sure but there is no way they can gear up to that kind of avalanche. They will rent trucks and try to speed train some temps and they will make a bundle but it won't be enough.
Mountains of freight will be sitting on docks all dressed up with no where to go. Just like the last strike.

vantexan

There will always be a few who will work every hour they can get but are decidedly less of them around then there was back then. Ground will get all they can handle sure but there is no way they can gear up to that kind of avalanche. They will rent trucks and try to speed train some temps and they will make a bundle but it won't be enough.
Mountains of freight will be sitting on docks all dressed up with no where to go. Just like the last strike.

It will definitely be rough, but with Ground FedEx is in a better position than last time. I just hope it doesn't happen. I wonder how many will walk off the job rather than deal with the freight?

vantexan

I hope you can Van, I unfortunately have many more years until I can retire.

I'll ride this trainwreck out as long as the 401k match and portable pension at least gives me some incentive, then its abandon ship to the first good job offer in the improving economy and an eternity of bad mouthing Fedex.

Even in the grave!

How many of us long term Fedex employees who remember when we were actually treated well would have ever thought we would be saying stuff like this?

Now that would be something, hundreds of thousands of gravestones across the country with the epitaph "Better than working at FedEx!" or maybe "Better Dead than Fed!"