Think twice before you help them implement ORION

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Unlike many on this forum, I will keep an open mind in regard to ORION. There is no planned implementation date in my center.

I was skeptical, but when it came time for my route to be implemented I cooperated fully and did everything I could to help the guy who was assigned to my route.

Mine was the last route on the center to be done though, and it was right up against the deadline before they moved on to a new location. Plus I went on vacation for 3 weeks right after my ride, so there was never any followup or fine tuning. I came back from vacation to an ORION setup that was an incoherent mess. I frequently have the worst compliance in the center, while still beating ORION by 20 or 30 miles.

OK, fine, whatever, I dont need it anyway and never did. But now I see drivers on the adjacent center being harassed and threatened with discipline over failure to comply, I see the company trying to ram an impossible compliance metric down that center's throat, and I know damn good and well my that center will also be "feeling the love" here pretty soon. And since I am the nail that is currently sticking out the furthest, guess who is going to be the first one to feel the hammer?

If the company is going to take the position by its actions that its drivers must be micromanaged and that we are too stupid and too untrustworthy to decide for ourselves by what percentage we should follow the trace on any given day, thats fine. It also means, however, that we are too stupid and too untrustworthy to help design that trace in the first place. I'm not going to let them have it both ways. I'm not going to help them build the hammer that they are going to turn around and beat me over the head with. If they are so farking smart, let them figure it all out.

I was skeptical, but when it came time for my route to be implemented I cooperated fully and did everything I could to help the guy who was assigned to my route.

Mine was the last route on the center to be done though, and it was right up against the deadline before they moved on to a new location. Plus I went on vacation for 3 weeks right after my ride, so there was never any followup or fine tuning. I came back from vacation to an ORION setup that was an incoherent mess. I frequently have the worst compliance in the center, while still beating ORION by 20 or 30 miles.

OK, fine, whatever, I dont need it anyway and never did. But now I see drivers on the adjacent center being harassed and threatened with discipline over failure to comply, I see the company trying to ram an impossible compliance metric down that center's throat, and I know damn good and well my that center will also be "feeling the love" here pretty soon. And since I am the nail that is currently sticking out the furthest, guess who is going to be the first one to feel the hammer?

If the company is going to take the position by its actions that its drivers must be micromanaged and that we are too stupid and too untrustworthy to decide for ourselves by what percentage we should follow the trace on any given day, thats fine. It also means, however, that we are too stupid and too untrustworthy to help design that trace in the first place. I'm not going to let them have it both ways. I'm not going to help them build the hammer that they are going to turn around and beat me over the head with. If they are so farking smart, let them figure it all out.
They are probably scared to say anything to you. Lol.

JL 0513

I already know what expect with Orion. They are going to tell us to follow it. Then when we're way over allowed, we get talked to. When it makes us increase our backs. They will talk to us.

It's going to worsen all other metrics to achieve a good Orion adherence metric.

Can't wait. :sad-little:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
UPS---If you truly want ORION to succeed....

1. Fix your misload problem. The best ORION solution in the world doesnt do jack :censored2: for me if I run up 20 miles getting rid of misloads or going back to the same stop because I couldnt find the package when I was there the first time. Simply screaming at the preloaders to work faster isnt going to solve the problem; I've been watching you use that tactic for the last 26 years and it hasnt worked. Try something new.

2. Accept driver input, and have a person assigned to the work location who has the resources and time to fix ORION issues in a timely manner. I had problems with PAS/EDD that didnt get fixed for 6 years and I eventually gave up even trying. Cooperation is a two way street, if you want our help then when we bring a problem to your attention we have a right to expect that you will fix it.

3. Stop jamming arbitrary compliance metrics down our throats. If we arent competent and trustworthy enough to decide for ourselves whether or not to follow ORION on a given day, then we arent competent or trustworthy enough to offer suggestions on the best way to implement it. You cant have it both ways. Asking for our help and then turning around and threatening discipline for failure to generate a compliance metric is a chickenschitt way to manage people. Dont chase numbers, chase results.

1. Fix your misload problem. The best ORION solution in the world doesnt do jack :censored2: for me if I run up 20 miles getting rid of misloads or going back to the same stop because I couldnt find the package when I was there the first time. Simply screaming at the preloaders to work faster isnt going to solve the problem; I've been watching you use that tactic for the last 26 years and it hasnt worked. Try something new.

2. Accept driver input, and have a person assigned to the work location who has the resources and time to fix ORION issues in a timely manner. I had problems with PAS/EDD that didnt get fixed for 6 years and I eventually gave up even trying. Cooperation is a two way street, if you want our help then when we bring a problem to your attention we have a right to expect that you will fix it.

3. Stop jamming arbitrary compliance metrics down our throats. If we arent competent and trustworthy enough to decide for ourselves whether or not to follow ORION on a given day, then we arent competent or trustworthy enough to offer suggestions on the best way to implement it. You cant have it both ways. Asking for our help and then turning around and threatening discipline for failure to generate a compliance metric is a chickenschitt way to manage people. Dont chase numbers, chase results.

What they just won't get through their heads since they went with the first computer planned bs. Their computer can not adapt. Experienced people can. Until they realize this it's a lost cause.

1. Fix your misload problem. The best ORION solution in the world doesnt do jack :censored2: for me if I run up 20 miles getting rid of misloads or going back to the same stop because I couldnt find the package when I was there the first time. Simply screaming at the preloaders to work faster isnt going to solve the problem; I've been watching you use that tactic for the last 26 years and it hasnt worked. Try something new. I love a good misload or two

2. Accept driver input, and have a person assigned to the work location who has the resources and time to fix ORION issues in a timely manner. I had problems with PAS/EDD that didnt get fixed for 6 years and I eventually gave up even trying. Cooperation is a two way street, if you want our help then when we bring a problem to your attention we have a right to expect that you will fix it. Leave it in chaos I love chaos

Bring me in the office I've been in there hundreds and hundreds of times.

​Game on

What they just won't get through their heads since they went with the first computer planned bs. Their computer can not adapt. Experienced people can. Until they realize this it's a lost cause.

EDD and Orion should be a tool.....not something to follow blindly. How many times have you heard somebodys personal GPS, takes them down a dead end street?

QKRSTKR

Sober, Orion sucks. People who don't have it don't have a clue. Upstate, it's not like pass/edd. You think having 7 plans is bad, wait till you have infinite plans. Orion will change stuff everyday.

Explain me this one.
Same street. I had a 2417, 2413, 2414. Park in one spot and deliver all three right? Not with Orion. Had me deliver 2417 and 2414, come back 10 stops later for 2413. So all day your looking for stupid crap like that. If you don't realize it your wasting time going back. You can't fix stupid.

Sober, just tell them you will run Orion 100% and not think anymore. That ll solve your issue.

Thank God I only have 2 stops to make in feeders. Not a whole lot for them to screw up.

Sober, Orion sucks. People who don't have it don't have a clue. Upstate, it's not like pass/edd. You think having 7 plans is bad, wait till you have infinite plans. Orion will change stuff everyday.

Explain me this one.
Same street. I had a 2417, 2413, 2414. Park in one spot and deliver all three right? Not with Orion. Had me deliver 2417 and 2414, come back 10 stops later for 2413. So all day your looking for stupid crap like that. If you don't realize it your wasting time going back. You can't fix stupid.

Sober, just tell them you will run Orion 100% and not think anymore. That ll solve your issue.

Thank God I only have 2 stops to make in feeders. Not a whole lot for them to screw up.
Honestly this sounds like a dream to me. We're here to make money not friends. Let's make some money.

UPSGUY72

The ORION implementation team started installing ORION in my building early this year, and had it "wrapped up" by August. As part of the implementation process, the bid driver is encouraged to cooperate with the team by explaining the way he normally runs the route and suggesting ways to set up an optimum trace for his area. There are a couple of ride alongs where the ORION guy inputs GPS data into a tablet, and then more fine-tuning can be done when needed.

Here's the problem. Once ORION is up and running....Corporate will then demand that the entire center follow ORION to some ridiculous and unattainable percentage, regardless of whether it makes sense to do so or not. Discipline will be threatened and warning letters will be issued to drivers who fail to generate the demanded metric each day.

In other words....the company wants our experience and area knowledge and professional judgement to help them install the system, only to turn right around and threaten us with discipline when we use that same experience and area knowledge and professional judgement to decide that the ORION solution may not be the best choice on a particular day!

I would suggest to anyone whose center is about to have ORION installed....that they think long and hard before volunteering their services to the implementation team. Be aware that your reward for "going the extra mile" to help them install the ORION on your route may very well be harassment and warning letters for failing to generate whatever arbitrary compliance metric that some genius in Atlanta pulls out of his ass and assigns to your center. What do you have to gain by helping them weld up the bars to your own jail cell?

There are two center in my area that have Orion and I have had to cover routes in both building and I did follow EDD/ ORION.

upschuck

That's a bit over the top, don't you think?

ORION will be implemented whether the bid drivers work with the team or not.

ORION is not going anywhere.

There is no truth to the rumor that ORION was designed by the same firm that designed the Obamacare website.

I worked with the team that set up PAS/EDD. I spent personal time making sure my DOL was set up as close to stop for stop as possible. My DOL was less than 5% off trace. This made my personal transition to PAS/EDD much easier and smoother than my co-workers who couldn't be bothered. Everything was great until my mgt team started "fine-tuning" it with add/cuts----there are now at least 7 plans, none of which are the same, and I have no idea how my pkg car will be set up from day to day.

Unlike many on this forum, I will keep an open mind in regard to ORION. There is no planned implementation date in my center.

Time well spent.

Quote out of context much?

No I don't...you said yourself you have no idea how your car will be set up.

tourists24

Oh but when u deliver it 100 percent ORION mgt will be furious also. Numbers still won't look good. Extra miles and much more overallowed lol

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't chime in a lot but here's my 2 cents. I went from punching out at 18:30 to 20:00 and later. Last week my center manager told me to go back to do it my way. By the way, I ran orion 100% everyday. I have 20 years here and just work as instructed. It makes my job very easy.

That statement sure brings back memories. At my small center every new center manager we got would ride with you and immediately change the way you had your route set up. It usually took only a few days before you were told to "just run it the way you always had". This happened to me at least 4 or 5 times.

union4life

Explain me this one.

I have been on Orion for a year now. The best part of the scenario above is when you realize your next stop is back on the street you delivered 10 minutes ago. You drive back, park and look for the package which you later find out is misloaded on a different package car.

Wasted time and extra miles.

FilingBluesFL

I also like when they add/cut businesses to the end of the load... and then you find them at 8pm...

Always makes me giggle like a little school girl...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also like when they add/cut businesses to the end of the load... and then you find them at 8pm...

Always makes me giggle like a little school girl...

This is why one of the first things you should do after downloading EDD is to scroll through it. It may be tough for a cover driver to know which stops are commercial and which are residential but the bid driver will most certainly know and there would be no excuse for missed businesses.

union4life

This is why one of the first things you should do after downloading EDD is to scroll through it. It may be tough for a cover driver to know which stops are commercial and which are residential but the bid driver will most certainly know and there would be no excuse for missed businesses.

The "excuse" would be hitting the required percentage on your Orion number.