Think twice before you help them implement ORION

over9five

Staff member
Scab.POS. or a SUP wanna be...take your pick! If I see somebody working off the clock, I will bring it to their attention! If the problem persists....ill bring it to the attention of the union. Maybe a nice ...fine.......from the union will make them stop!!
I don't see the fine ever happening, but you can definitely grieve the time!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ease of implementing novice drivers into the system, sure. The fact that it would help in a strike situation, bonus. But the majority of this is the demand for better numbers and the belief that if smart enough people throw large enough piles of money at something they will get what they want.

When it works for a while it's golden. But when it fails and they have to rely on experience of the worker it will fail big.

You've been around for nearly as long as I have. You surely remember all the angst when we went from paper to DIAD 1. All of the naysayers----"it'll never work"----were all for naught; in fact, most of us became more efficient drivers after going on the DIAD. The same with PAS/EDD. Orion is simply an extension of PAS/EDD that, with fine tuning, will also prove to be successful.

You've been around for nearly as long as I have. You surely remember all the angst when we went from paper to DIAD 1. All of the naysayers----"it'll never work"----were all for naught; in fact, most of us became more efficient drivers after going on the DIAD. The same with PAS/EDD. Orion is simply an extension of PAS/EDD that, with fine tuning, will also prove to be successful.

Having been around longer than you have at UPS I've seen many more ideas that came and went , and failed, only to have another idea come. This isn't the first big idea or the last but it will be like all others before it. It will be implemented, the results won't quite be was was expected, it will be tweaked, then it will be used as a guideline that bits and pieces will be used with a blend of the older ideas to actually get the job done.

We started out with a hammer. Simple, basic, cheap. Now they want a new fancy, bells and whistles, uber-expensive hammer. But at the end of the day they still want to hit a nail.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Imagine that. Just like the dol and edd working NOT. You know dam well they aint going to take the extra time to do the fine tuning or tweaking to make the orion work correctly. Especially with the dartboard dispatch everyday. Lets face it these idiots could :censored2: up a wet dream dude.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So your mgt team would rather have missed businesses just as long as they meet the ORION percentage?

If the driver makes service on the businesses and fails to generate the ORION metric... he will be threatened with disciplinary action.

If the driver generates the ORION metric and winds up with missed stops....he will be threatened with disciplinary action.

Anything the driver does to keep his name from showing up on one report will automatically cause him to appear on a different one. Heads they win, tails we lose. It is the standard UPS "no win scenario" that the company continually and deliberately puts its people...both hourly and management...into.

The reality of the situation is that there is no way that the company will ever successfully suspend or terminate a driver for failing to generate an ORION metric when he did so in order to make service on the packages. Their threats are empty ones. Here's the thing though; threats are like guns. I dont appreciate having either one pointed at me, even if I know they are empty.

upschuck

You said in earlier post that PAS was initially good, but now have 7+ plans and you don't know what is going to be on car, do you want that same "fine tuning" with ORION?

OptimusPrime

If the driver makes service on the businesses and fails to generate the ORION metric... he will be threatened with disciplinary action.

If the driver generates the ORION metric and winds up with missed stops....he will be threatened with disciplinary action.

Anything the driver does to keep his name from showing up on one report will automatically cause him to appear on a different one. Heads they win, tails we lose. It is the standard UPS "no win scenario" that the company continually and deliberately puts its people...both hourly and management...into.

The reality of the situation is that there is no way that the company will ever successfully suspend or terminate a driver for failing to generate an ORION metric when he did so in order to make service on the packages. Their threats are empty ones. Here's the thing though; threats are like guns. I dont appreciate having either one pointed at me, even if I know they are empty.

This rings true. Reminds me of the PCM's we have about accidents. The company immediately paints the driver into a corner with 37 different reasons how it was all his fault, and if all else fails, they throw out the old "didn't expect the unexpected".