Thinking about joining the union

UPSF Peeon

Or even better, maybe you could hand back your medical card, pay for your own prescprtions, become an at will employee, work 52 weeks with no paid time off, work 11 hours a day with no over time, work for less per hour much less, you can give up your seniority, work every holiday at straight pay, and contiue to suck off the tit of others!

we had the same benefits when we were overnite, the only thing that went up was the pay but not by a lot

Man you should really be writing childrens stories with the imagination that you have. You as a part time sup had drivers listenig to you, and you had a thousand sup working grievances filed against you and not 1 was ever paid. I call BS but I will buy your books, my kids like a good comedy.

If I follow the contract why would they pay a grievance? With help from the union I could get drivers to follow the contract. Why is that hard to believe?

Overpaid Union Thug

Concerning unions not fully representing non-union employees in right to work states.......I think it would be a good idea if they represented a fired or grieving non dues paying employee with the same effort as they would a union member simply because nowadays union membership is on the decline. If someone is reluctant to join a union but see a steward go to bat for him/her and saves their job then that might convince them to start paying dues.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Concerning unions not fully representing non-union employees in right to work states.......I think it would be a good idea if they represented a fired or grieving non dues paying employee with the same effort as they would a union member simply because nowadays union membership is on the decline. If someone is reluctant to join a union but see a steward go to bat for him/her and saves their job then that might convince them to start paying dues.

I say screw that! With your line of thinking maybe we should just move in a couple freeloaders of the street and allow them to wear our clothes and eat our food. I dont have the luxury thank god of dealing with these scabs, but if I did I wouldnt have a kind word for them.

Thekid25

I use to be the guy who would take anything the company threw at me but my Dad's been a union memeber for fourty years and I just have to say join the union it's the best thing I ever did and if and when you do remember this..A fair days work for a fair days pay.! Go teamsters!

Overpaid Union Thug

I say screw that! With your line of thinking maybe we should just move in a couple freeloaders of the street and allow them to wear our clothes and eat our food. I dont have the luxury thank god of dealing with these scabs, but if I did I wouldnt have a kind word for them.

You completely missed my point. Maybe if they saw what the union can do for them they'd decide to join up? Also.....if a steward or someone sitting on a panel doesn't give their best representation can't the grievances they let fail as a result set a precedent for later cases? In the end the dues payers get screwed too. If I were a steward I'd represent everyone on equal terms. I don't agree with someone being a freeloader but don't have a problem with someone that hasn't joined yet simply because they haven't been educated on unions yet. Either way I'd give it my all because the laws say so. I don't believe it's in the employees' (ALL) best interest for stewards to go into these things half assed because they are pissed off at someone for not joining. It's all our responsibility to convince non members that they should join. Screwing them over for not wanting to join or not joining yet is counterproductive.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm in a right to work state and I agree with big arrow. If I get an opportunity to show someone who's not in the union how it benefits them to be a dues paying member, I make the most of it. Everybody who's not in the union isn't a scab, some just don't appreciate what the union does because they haven't seen how it affects them personally.

SWORDFISH

I think for me it would be dependant on the persons attitude tword the union. Im not going to try and change someones mind. I think when people start at UPS they should have sit down w/ the stewards and if they decide not to join the union after that they should be aware of the conciquences they could be facing. I think the problem problem in your scenario bigarrowup is that in some cases you are going to run into those wellfare-lifer mentality people. People that think they are owed something. You may win some over though wich would be the good side, but maybe the sitdown before hand would win those people over ahead of time.

wannabeups

The reason unions are on the decline is that they will throw a junior guy under the bus. The senior guys think ONLY of THEMSELVES and will sell out the junior members and guys who aren't even union members yet.

Overpaid Union Thug

The reason unions are on the decline is that they will throw a junior guy under the bus. The senior guys think ONLY of THEMSELVES and will sell out the junior members and guys who aren't even union members yet.

I agree that plenty of the senior guys seem to only think of themselves (in this area anyway) but I don't think that is the reason for the decline of unions. Its because unions have kind of outlived their usefulness. UPs, and a select few other companies I'm sure, are the exceptions. I honestly believe that UPS would fall apart without a union.

SWORDFISH

Thats messed up. Im a steward and I would never do such things. I try to spend more time educating those people because they are the most defensless. You reap what you sow is all I have to say to the guys your speaking of.