Thinking about joining ups just have a few questions

Lamikke

I'm a diesel mechanic living in Tennessee and my wife and I have been thinking about relocating to Phoenix. Are there any mechanics that can answer a few questions for me? How many shops are there in the phoenix area? Where are they located? Are all of the shops the same shifts? Can you start at one shop and transfer to another and keep your pay rate? Any info will certainly help thanks!

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Every location has a package car shop, Phoenix has a trailer and tractor shop. Tempe, Mesa, and Estrella are the other locations. The Airport also has mechanics that work on the tugs and dock equipment, but I am unsure if those are contract or UPS employees.

You can transfer to other locations through the bid language, remaining at your new location for a minimum of 1 year and going to the bottom of the seniority list.

Pay rate seems to be by progression, and I'm seeing a 48 month progression from $18.75 to the current top rate of $35.27 but it's not entirely clear to me that there is a progression so if I find myself at the shop I will try to remember and ask. Pay and benefits are retained when you transfer, just the seniority is affected.

There are pay differentials for shifts starting after 4 pm and midnight ($.20) and midnight to 5:30 ($.25). If your shift runs into another bracket you get the pay differential unless you start before noon in which the whole shift does not receive a pay differential.

Last month or so I remember them saying we were hiring mechanics. UPSjobs. com probably has the most current info.

Lamikke

Thank you for the info. From what I understand the package car shops would more than likely be nights and weekends regardless of seniority where as the tractor shop has an actual first shift. Is that correct? Also if I started out here in Tennessee and waited for an opening in AZ would I have to start out at the bottom as far as pay? I know I would lose my shop seniority of course.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank you for the info. From what I understand the package car shops would more than likely be nights and weekends regardless of seniority where as the tractor shop has an actual first shift. Is that correct? Also if I started out here in Tennessee and waited for an opening in AZ would I have to start out at the bottom as far as pay? I know I would lose my shop seniority of course.

I work in a small center and we have a morning and evening mechanic. They handle both PC's and feeders.

Lamikke

Thank you guys for the info. BTW I'm a 10 year teamsters mechanic just under a different local than the Ups guys out here. I don't know if that would help me or hurt me in trying to apply lol

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
They have day shifts in both the package and tractor shop at every location. You would want to move here as the transfer policy is only within the Western Conference. You will enjoy the best pension and healthcare plan here. I was told they filled the mechanic position last month but another guy is retiring next year. You would be wise to get your CNG & LNG certification if tractor shop is your goal as we have a lot of Kenworth tractors that run alt fuel