Thinking about quitting.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
........"I also think about quitting everyday but worry that the place may fall apart without me. .............." (upstate)

Big mistake! (and I speak from our experience).
After a week of you gone, they'd say, "Dave who?"

That's true about anyone.
If Scott Davis leaves tomorrow, in a week it would be Scott who.
It's just a big machine with many cogs.

It was obvious Dave posted "tongue in cheek."
I know he realizes this and everyone's lack of importance.

I remember one of the altered "Motivational" posters that said, "Just because your job is important does not mean you are."
This really clicked for me and sticks in my mind all the time.

U

uber

I got a job at UPS and have been there three weeks. I am not going to lie so far I absolutely hate it. I am a college student and don't plan on staying with the company. I was just looking for a decent part time job but the pay and the work sucks. After gas I bring home $70 a week because of the drive. I used to lift weights alot it's a huge passion of mine and I can't do that anymore because if I do before I go to work I am too tired to be fast enough for the shift. All this bull**** about UPS getting you in shape is just that. Bull****. I guess if you look like a twinkie before you start it's true. I am completely capable of doing the work but there is no incentive, the tuition program is a way to trap students it's pretty damn obvious. Where I am at it takes 14-15 years to become a driver. The last company I worked for I was with 5 years and I really hate to quit after being at UPS such a short time I feel bad about it I am not a quitter but it's just not worth it. Not sure what I should do at this point.

Quit yer bitchin. I workout before I do 8-9 hour double-shifts unloading. Your body will adjust. Man up and own it.

jaker

trolling
The more I read these threads it's pretty scary , people who for brown tell others not to work here

Where do you think this is going to lead to more crappy workers who whine or more pay to get better people

We know the answer to that one , now fast foward 12 years from now when most of us are out the door and the whiners start to drive

Scary picture then end of a great era and rise of the whiners they will bow down quick , no concept of the union all out the end of our brothers who made this a company to work for

: rant:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The more I read these threads it's pretty scary , people who for brown tell others not to work here

Where do you think this is going to lead to more crappy workers who whine or more pay to get better people

We know the answer to that one , now fast foward 12 years from now when most of us are out the door and the whiners start to drive

Scary picture then end of a great era and rise of the whiners they will bow down quick , no concept of the union all out the end of our brothers who made this a company to work for

: rant:

Uh, those people have been driving for years now. They've even polluted feeders. You can always tell who they are. They're the ones driving the UPS vehicles that are in pictures in the paper and on the web. Crash, crash, crash...

A

anonymous6

I got a job at UPS and have been there three weeks. I am not going to lie so far I absolutely hate it. I am a college student and don't plan on staying with the company. I was just looking for a decent part time job but the pay and the work sucks. After gas I bring home $70 a week because of the drive. I used to lift weights alot it's a huge passion of mine and I can't do that anymore because if I do before I go to work I am too tired to be fast enough for the shift. All this bull**** about UPS getting you in shape is just that. Bull****. I guess if you look like a twinkie before you start it's true. I am completely capable of doing the work but there is no incentive, the tuition program is a way to trap students it's pretty damn obvious. Where I am at it takes 14-15 years to become a driver. The last company I worked for I was with 5 years and I really hate to quit after being at UPS such a short time I feel bad about it I am not a quitter but it's just not worth it. Not sure what I should do at this point.

pretty sure the answer is in your post. reread it 5 times and you'll know what to do.

that will be 50 dollars.

Uh, those people have been driving for years now. They've even polluted feeders. You can always tell who they are. They're the ones driving the UPS vehicles that are in pictures in the paper and on the web. Crash, crash, crash...

Can't give that enough likes.

They're the :censored2:s who drive 70k + pounds of equipment like they're driving a personal car. No courtesy, concern for anyone else, talking on their phones. :censored2:s one and all. There's days I'm ashamed to wear the same uniform.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Can't give that enough likes.

They're the :censored2:s who drive 70k + pounds of equipment like they're driving a personal car. No courtesy, concern for anyone else, talking on their phones. :censored2:s one and all. There's days I'm ashamed to wear the same uniform.

Cach, I'm off this week, and drove my truck around the block today to load some brush and crap. Saw a cover driver one block over, pulling out into traffic on a fairly busy and narrow street yakking on her phone. I can't wait to get out of here.

purplesky

Man I love the UPS culture on the Brown Cafe. We have Grumpy old feeder drivers ripping on younger feeder drivers, The usual new PTer who doesnt want to earn seniority to get to a living wage, The same old BC trolls who monitor this website day and night and post crap to prevent any real union discussions to get legs, Package car drivers complaining about stops and the same old harassment UPS is known for since everyone and their cousin has taken their shot at working for Brown.

YES KID WELCOME TO THE UPS CULTURE. This forum will give you a snapshot of the UPS culture. UPS is a love hate thing and once you get sucked in you will not leave. UPS is one of the most successful companies on the planet and the people that stay are the glue. THE UPS CULTURE is what I CALL IT.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Man I love the UPS culture on the Brown Cafe. We have Grumpy old feeder drivers ripping on younger feeder drivers, The usual new PTer who doesnt want to earn seniority to get to a living wage, The same old BC trolls who monitor this website day and night and post crap to prevent any real union discussions to get legs, Package car drivers complaining about stops and the same old harassment UPS is known for since everyone and their cousin has taken their shot at working for Brown.

YES KID WELCOME TO THE UPS CULTURE. This forum will give you a snapshot of the UPS culture. UPS is a love hate thing and once you get sucked in you will not leave. UPS is one of the most successful companies on the planet and the people that stay are the glue. THE UPS CULTURE is what I CALL IT.
I call it what my pickups call me, easy money.

purplesky

I call it what my pickups call me, easy money.

When I see all the 15+ year package drivers that have a limp or walk funny out the hub gates due to back and knee problems the phrase "easy money" just doesnt work.
Thats the interesting part of the UPS CULTURE. UPSERS work their asses off whether they want to admit it or not.
UPS is a success because even for management there truly is no easy money.
Just ask any on road sup with 20 years of service about how easy their job is? A combo job Upser?

You just make it look easy. most people couldnt handle what you do in pacakage.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
When I see all the 15+ year package drivers that have a limp or walk funny out the hub gates due to back and knee problems the phrase "easy money" just doesnt work.
Thats the interesting part of the UPS CULTURE. UPSERS work their asses off whether they want to admit it or not.
UPS is a success because even for management there truly is no easy money.
Just ask any on road sup with 20 years of service about how easy their job is? A combo job Upser?

You just make it look easy. most people couldnt handle what you do in pacakage.
Thats why I look at the runner gunners and shake my head as they abuse their body even more than I get mine abused only to make less in the end. As I've posted in other threads, overtime money is where the cheese is. If you take the amount of hours I've worked vs my money YTD I have one of the highest hourly rates in the center.

purplesky

Thats why I look at the runner gunners and shake my head as they abuse their body even more than I get mine abused only to make less in the end. As I've posted in other threads, overtime money is where the cheese is. If you take the amount of hours I've worked vs my money YTD I have one of the highest hourly rates in the center.

You are lucky and congrats on your body holding up. Yes overtime makes a huge difference in pay and its funny how so many people bitch about it because if they just got 8 hours they would not like the result in their paycheck.
Feeders is in the process of cutting OT big time and alot of feeder guys are trying to get into package to make more money.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Well, I've only been in feeders for two years, so if that makes me an old grumpy feeder driver, well I guess so. But facts are facts. Not just feeders, but also package car; so many new drivers come into driving with their foot hammered down. They skip their lunch, find and take every shortcut in the book, and act like they are on an island all by themselves. As a result, the rank and file becomes a huge group of individuals. Injuries become commonplace, and drivers become intimidated by management demands.

Now, to be completely honest, a lot of the blame for this falls at the feet of the union and the drivers already here. Ever since Hoffa became our President, there is a hands off approach to our union. Drivers come in and "just do their job". The union stopped standing up for the rank and file and let UPS roll all over our contract, there is a unhealthy apathy towards the union process. That is not a coincidence either.

But, until we fight to change our union, we have to band together somewhat and talk to the newer drivers and drivers who burn up routes. It is what we do now, and it is frustrating when those drivers ignore common sense advice from senior drivers. It was the same story in package car.

Yes, feeders is cutting back. UPS runs in cycles. When EDD came on line, there was a huge push to keep everyone under 9.5. Then that petered out. Most likely, the feeder push will ease too. As far as feeder drivers going back to package car...maybe in your building. It's always a joke where I work when they post a package car bid in the feeder room. I don't know one driver in our district who ever went back to package car. I never got the hours in package car that I get back here.

purplesky

Well, I've only been in feeders for two years, so if that makes me an old grumpy feeder driver, well I guess so. But facts are facts. Not just feeders, but also package car; so many new drivers come into driving with their foot hammered down. They skip their lunch, find and take every shortcut in the book, and act like they are on an island all by themselves. As a result, the rank and file becomes a huge group of individuals. Injuries become commonplace, and drivers become intimidated by management demands.

Now, to be completely honest, a lot of the blame for this falls at the feet of the union and the drivers already here. Ever since Hoffa became our President, there is a hands off approach to our union. Drivers come in and "just do their job". The union stopped standing up for the rank and file and let UPS roll all over our contract, there is a unhealthy apathy towards the union process. That is not a coincidence either.

But, until we fight to change our union, we have to band together somewhat and talk to the newer drivers and drivers who burn up routes. It is what we do now, and it is frustrating when those drivers ignore common sense advice from senior drivers. It was the same story in package car.

Yes, feeders is cutting back. UPS runs in cycles. When EDD came on line, there was a huge push to keep everyone under 9.5. Then that petered out. Most likely, the feeder push will ease too. As far as feeder drivers going back to package car...maybe in your building. It's always a joke where I work when they post a package car bid in the feeder room. I don't know one driver in our district who ever went back to package car. I never got the hours in package car that I get back here.

Its the low guys in feeders who are signing up for package that need more money for food and wife. They also have been on call for years and are tired of not making progress on the seniority list.
Shifting is only 8 hours and lots of low guys get stuck in yard making no money. Most of these guys are off the street so they never paid their dues in package.

The runners who skip lunch are a problem but the folks that go home all the time and allow routes to be eliminated and allow UPS to divide that work on several routes is really a bigger problem.

Why put on the brown clown and drive to work and then go home with no pay and watch the View or Jerry Springer when you could be putting money into your 401k. That loss of 401k contributions can be huge over time.
The funny thing about UPS is the culture has never really changed over the years. You could have the same conversation 30 years ago and older guys would complain about the new younger guys doing this or that.
Somehow someway UPS just gets it done and that's the culture of UPS. YOU GET YOUR ASS OUT OF BED AND JUST DO IT!

The union issues will be figured out by America at some point. The wing nuts and Republicans have been doing a smear campaign against unions for years and even RYAN during his RNC speech took a shot at teachers unions forgetting to mention all the outsourcing Corp. America has done to destroy our economy for high school age kids and the boomerang generation by moving their jobs to other countries like Robme did at Bain Capitol.
NOW WATCH! MY LAST STATEMENT WILL NOW BRING THE TROLLS OF THE BROWN CAFE! Ready! Set! Goooooo!