Thinking about switching to Sort

expertcookhere

I have been loading package cars on the preload shift for 2 years now. I feel like I need a change of pace and think I would like to try sorting.

Can someone give me a detailed description of what I would be required to do? Do they still need to memorize zip codes? And, would you prefer it over loading?

Thanks

PT Car Washer

Are you wanting to sort on the preload or one of the hub sorts? Our preload uses the PAL labels so not much to know. Never be afraid to try something different.

Acc0rd

Sorted 6 years, memorize it as fast as possible and get the hell outa hard work. Get fans blowing on you and treated much better because of your knowledge. You will have to memorize zips or states but that's easy, just get the info from a supervisor. Just ride it out as a sorter till you can drive!

SantaClaus1

merry christmas
I never had to pre-load. Somebody else asked the question initially. I just got hired a couple days ago I'm learning all the safety stuff in the classroom this week then start next week but they said they needed two sorters and two for sunrise shift out of the 4 of us, I just happen to be one of the two she chose for sort. She gave me a little piece of paper with zip codes for my state I'm supposed to memorize all of them by the end of the week I think. How am I suppose to memorize all the zip codes for half my state in like a day or two? She did say you can take the test as many times as you want. But still...seems a little much. I really wanna do sort though because people say it's not as physical as the others. But I don't know how I'm suppose to memorize so much in so little time. Although I do think the boxes have the color for the correct conveyor belt written on the label..? So if I could get past the test then I could just look on the boxes for which color conveyor belt it goes to? Idk..I'm sure it's still good to know all the zip codes but its gonna take longer then 2 days to learn all the zip codes..hopefully I don't get kicked off sort my first day on..but I'm pretty sure she said a trainer would be with us the whole second week to help us..

Last edited:

Acc0rd

I never had to pre-load. Somebody else asked the question initially. I just got hired a couple days ago I'm learning all the safety stuff in the classroom this week then start next week but they said they needed two sorters and two for sunrise shift out of the 4 of us, I just happen to be one of the two she chose for sort. She gave me a little piece of paper with zip codes for my state I'm supposed to memorize all of them by the end of the week I think. How am I suppose to memorize all the zip codes for practically half my state in like a day or two? She did say you can take the test as many times as you want. But still...seems a little much.

There is a computer test to help you out. Remember, they have slics since when I started which are the building codes. Your state might be lucky to have 20 of those at MOST, unless your in Cali. Memorize the 3 digits and youll be set! Example: (I live in Florida) Tampa has 2 buildings, Bayside and Tampa, both buildings are 336 slics but with different 4th digits. They send both tampa buildings to the same belt so just know all 336's go here etc. Many zips don't actually start with a 336 that are delivered to Tampa but because its delivered out of the Tampa building, the slic on the box will say 336!!!! so there ya go:)

SantaClaus1

merry christmas
Yea but there is also a Mis-sort category and that is for anything close but I don't know the radius for what is considered close or not.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I never had to pre-load. Somebody else asked the question initially. I just got hired a couple days ago I'm learning all the safety stuff in the classroom this week then start next week but they said they needed two sorters and two for sunrise shift out of the 4 of us, I just happen to be one of the two she chose for sort. She gave me a little piece of paper with zip codes for my state I'm supposed to memorize all of them by the end of the week I think. How am I suppose to memorize all the zip codes for half my state in like a day or two? She did say you can take the test as many times as you want. But still...seems a little much. I really wanna do sort though because people say it's not as physical as the others. But I don't know how I'm suppose to memorize so much in so little time. Although I do think the boxes have the color for the correct conveyor belt written on the label..? So if I could get past the test then I could just look on the boxes for which color conveyor belt it goes to? Idk..I'm sure it's still good to know all the zip codes but its gonna take longer then 2 days to learn all the zip codes..hopefully I don't get kicked off sort my first day on..but I'm pretty sure she said a trainer would be with us the whole second week to help us..
You don't like physical work? Lmao
2746713.jpg

SantaClaus1

merry christmas
LOL!!! I dont mind physical work, I used to be a roofer but I believe whole-heartedly in working smarter then harder so if they offer me a less physical job and extra dollar an hour it only makes sense to except it.

Cyrex

LOL!!! I dont mind physical work, I used to be a roofer but I believe whole-heartedly in working smarter then harder so if they offer me a less physical job and extra dollar an hour it only makes sense to except it.

Yea I am the same way. I also believe slow is smooth and smooth is fast but some people don't. My sup gets angry when the belt stops and that happens often. Well they need to hire more people but they don't and send people home.

Then they pack the belt to were not even the vets can pull the packages off and get them in package cars fast enough. Then you get packages blocking the walk way and driver and handlers tripping over the packages, a complete blockage, or the sinful misloads. One day my 4 cars had just over 1000 packages and I got 6 misloads, with my facility having almost 29 between the front 10 cars out of 26. At end of the morning we have are drivers loading packages and 10% to 20% of the packages at the end of the belt that we all missed. On the front of the belt for what days I did unload they try packing the belt with as many packages as possible and half of them hit the ground before they even make it to be scanned. Often the sorters will not even get the chance to short becaues they are loading 3 trucks while sorting and I have to pick it up. Not that I mind becaues I got sort pay out of it.

Well I can think of several things they could change around to make it run smooth, efficient, and safer but they wont change it.

Cyrex

lol my building does not even have car wash. Every day I come in tractors, trailers, and package cars are always covered in dust.
If they do have one, they don't do it often.