Thinking of Applying to UPS

Equinto

Hi! I graduated from George Mason University with a degree in English. I work at the university (for Pitney Bowes) as a courier/mailman. I like the job, it's fun. I do however want to earn a little bit more money. I noticed that the UPS guys that I deal with are cool and seem to like their jobs. What should I know about applying to UPS, etc?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Hi! I graduated from George Mason University with a degree in English. I work at the university (for Pitney Bowes) as a courier/mailman. I like the job, it's fun. I do however want to earn a little bit more money. I noticed that the UPS guys that I deal with are cool and seem to like their jobs. What should I know about applying to UPS, etc?

For one, its VERY hardwork. Put it this way: I went from 240 to 210 in 3 months. I thoroughly enjoyed my first stint with UPS as a part-time inside employee and my subsequent seasonal stints as a helper. That having been said, the pay isn't exactly where it prolly should be. Benefits are truly world class. It depends on the management team of the individual building how much you'll like them. I had 5 or 6 managers during my first stint. I had nothing but the highest regard and respect for most of them in addition to actually being able to semi-trust them. I knew a few that would scream and yell at their employees and I had one that lied through his teeth on an almost nightly basis. Anyway, don't let some of these posters turn you away from this Company. Its truly better retail. Don't even get me STARTED about food service!!!! PM me and I'll see if I can answer specific questions. RockyRogue

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Don't do it. Friends don't let friends work for brown. Unless it is only temporary.

Hey, Browned, I BEGGED my folks to send my brother up there. They finally caved. He's a supervisor now. I get the impression from talking to my folks and him that he's one of the better liked sup's, not to mention competent.

browned out

He could move to Chicago or some of the other metro areas where these UPS jobs are in such high demand that UPS has to bus part-timers in on a welfare to work plan.

disneyworld

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto........

blestd87

HAHAHA, Aw that was a good laugh. thanks.

I work for UPS as a loader, have been working for two months now, work through peak season, saw how tough it can be. I love it. Its an alright job, the pay should be a lil more. You have to want to work, to have a job that UPS offers.

good luck.

browniehound

For one, its VERY hardwork. Put it this way: I went from 240 to 210 in 3 months. I thoroughly enjoyed my first stint with UPS as a part-time inside employee and my subsequent seasonal stints as a helper. That having been said, the pay isn't exactly where it prolly should be.

I hate to say it Rocky, but anybody who uses the word "prolly" in a sentence deserves to be making $8.50 an hour. We all can't be Phd's.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
HAHAHA, Aw that was a good laugh. thanks.

I work for UPS as a loader, have been working for two months now, work through peak season, saw how tough it can be. I love it. Its an alright job, the pay should be a lil more. You have to want to work, to have a job that UPS offers.

good luck.

That was what my brother was, too. Pay should be about $11 or $12 an hour, I think.

I hate to say it Rocky, but anybody who uses the word "prolly" in a sentence deserves to be making $8.50 an hour. We all can't be Phd's.

Saw my profile, eh? I'm the first of nine kids, buddy. I didn't get any breaks--save ones I made for myself. UPS happened to be one of the best things that ever happened to me. And it'll be a Master of Science not a PH.D when all is said and done in less than a year. Prolly is Internet shorthand for probably. Since this IS an Internet forum, I didn't see a problem with it. I'll be more careful next time. Since I have a Bachelors in English, I probably should watch my spelling. Rocky

satellitedriver

That was what my brother was, too. Pay should be about $11 or $12 an hour, I think.

Saw my profile, eh? I'm the first of nine kids, buddy. I didn't get any breaks--save ones I made for myself. UPS happened to be one of the best things that ever happened to me. And it'll be a Master of Science not a PH.D when all is said and done in less than a year. Prolly is Internet shorthand for probably. Since this IS an Internet forum, I didn't see a problem with it. I'll be more careful next time. Since I have a Bachelors in English, I probably should watch my spelling. Rocky
With a BA in English, do you support different spelling of a word based on where it is used?
I thought it was the unifying of words that made up a language. It is the reason I go to the dictionary if I do not recognize a word. It is reasonable to use slang in a common group, but you are speaking to a much wider audience with a wide range of age and geographic location. I make typing mistakes(or should I say keyboarding mistakes),but they are not on purpose.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
With a BA in English, do you support different spelling of a word based on where it is used?
I thought it was the unifying of words that made up a language. It is the reason I go to the dictionary if I do not recognize a word. It is reasonable to use slang in a common group, but you are speaking to a much wider audience with a wide range of age and geographic location. I make typing mistakes(or should I say keyboarding mistakes),but they are not on purpose.

I'm not a geographer or a linguist. I was in it for the writing and enjoyment of the literature. By the time I was done, the literature really didn't challenge me anymore. My Masters Program is still too early to tell.

I'll keep the above commentary about spelling, etc in mind from this point forward.

Overpaid Union Thug

Use your degree to become an officer in the Air Force, Coast Guard, Navy, Army. And make your choice in that order. I'm thinking of going back to active duty myself. I'd be a lowly enlisted man still but at least I would be getting a check every month after 20 years and not have to wait until I'm 62. Plus the value of the pension adjusts as inflation rises. Not many civilian pensions can claim that. My dad is retired Army but he watches the pay scales every year just as if if was still active duty. Now that's how a pension should be.