Thinking of leaving Express for Ground.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Do you guys ever get tired of the back and forth bickering?

Just stating my 2 cents worth here. And personally I think that Ground drivers pay is too low and with no benefits makes it even worse.

If you think I'm bickering just because I'm stating an opinion, I could be far worse.

Grounded

The pay is lower, but if you learn the system, you can seek out an opportunity as an ISP owning your own business/routes and getting out of the truck on a daily basis. It's an investment and you want to pay attention to the way the rules go. At my station, I see the ISPs and drivers more than equals or people who know their routes and never have to be told what to do or be micro managed. A lack of micromanagement is a priceless thing. Not having FedEx management be the one who tells you what to do makes things much more low key on a day to day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The pay is lower, but if you learn the system, you can seek out an opportunity as an ISP owning your own business/routes and getting out of the truck on a daily basis. It's an investment and you want to pay attention to the way the rules go. At my station, I see the ISPs and drivers more than equals or people who know their routes and never have to be told what to do or be micro managed. A lack of micromanagement is a priceless thing. Not having FedEx management be the one who tells you what to do makes things much more low key on a day to day.

Sounds like the Kool-Aid comes in lime flavor too. Yummy! Yep, someone making $12 per hour is highly likely to be able to be an ISP. Perhaps by 2075 or so.

soc151

If I had 300k plus available to invest in routes and trucks, I sure as hell wouldn't get into FedEx Ground.

Nick9075

Its an investment but you can lose the investment (meaning your contract terminated or not renewed) for really any mistake, dispute or complaint. I am always being reminded by the senior manager & P&D Manager that they will terminate my contract for any service failure or complaint. That is the main problem, I would rather be fired from a job I am making $17 an hour from than have contract terminated or not renewed and being out hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Grounded

Sounds like the Kool-Aid comes in lime flavor too. Yummy! Yep, someone making $12 per hour is highly likely to be able to be an ISP. Perhaps by 2075 or so.

Well when my ISPs are considering buying a second house someone where warmer or an RV and they haven't driven for over a year, I'll be sure to give them some moral support. Ground offers more independence no matter what way you look at it. Both have perks.

Grounded

Its an investment but you can lose the investment (meaning your contract terminated or not renewed) for really any mistake, dispute or complaint. I am always being reminded by the senior manager & P&D Manager that they will terminate my contract for any service failure or complaint. That is the main problem, I would rather be fired from a job I am making $17 an hour from than have contract terminated or not renewed and being out hundreds of thousands of dollars.

There is a chance of not getting a contract renewed, but as long as your delivering packages and keeping complains low(not zero, stuff happens) it's very rare to not renew, my station hasn't had a non-renewal since we became ISP. It's more likely that an ISP would be pressured to remove a certain driver or make a change rather than take out a renewal. We rarely even talk about non-renewal.

soc151

Well when my ISPs are considering buying a second house someone where warmer or an RV and they haven't driven for over a year, I'll be sure to give them some moral support. Ground offers more independence no matter what way you look at it. Both have perks.

But that's the problem right there. Your ISPs are making out great, buying new houses and RVs; their drivers are stuck working crap hours for crap wages driving crap vehicles (admit it, some of those trucks your ISPs are using still should have been put out of their misery years ago).

bbsam

Staff member
There is nothing he can do about those things as long as the ISP is not in violation of the law or the agreement.

Nick9075

But that's the problem right there. Your ISPs are making out great, buying new houses and RVs; their drivers are stuck working crap hours for crap wages driving crap vehicles (admit it, some of those trucks your ISPs are using still should have been put out of their misery years ago).

I wish I could spend money like that - this shouldn't be a sole source of income which is why I am actively looking for work in my previous field and hopefully selling and GTHO of Fedex - my rent is close to $2,000, student loan debt, credit cards, health & auto insurance, no wife or parent to bail me out - that is why I am always in a panic.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Like I said, a DRIVER making $12 per hour is very unlikely to become an ISP. How does anyone making that kind of money hope to be able to save enough to buy a route? I'm sure some ISPs do just fine.