Thinking of quiting UPS :(

ovid

Many great replies guys! Yes, I really do get praise... though, I am rather unusually gung-ho (in general), and am not retarded, and stuff. And I DO enjoy working there, and like many (certainly not all) of my co-workers. So, it is pretty much about money, oh, and the night time hours suck (5-10ish pm). We shall see...

Raw

Raw Member
Many great replies guys! Yes, I really do get praise... though, I am rather unusually gung-ho (in general), and am not retarded, and stuff. And I DO enjoy working there, and like many (certainly not all) of my co-workers. So, it is pretty much about money, oh, and the night time hours suck (5-10ish pm). We shall see...
WOW That was politically incorrect. :mellow:

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor

i think Fedex pays better for their part time loaders, maybe you want to lookinto that.

tieguy

Banned
Ups claims they wish they could pay p-timers more per hour? Has anyone from the company even called the teamsters and made an offer? I dont see hall of=r even jim hoffa refusing a request like that, so please dont believe everything.

Or The part timer is not represented at the hall therefore the part timer does not get represented by the union at contract negotiations.

Or the teamsters knowing they will negotiate an economic package that equates to X dollars decides to take more of it for the full timer then the unborn part timer. Thus the starting wage has changed little while the part timer thats been around a while has been bumped up quite a bit from their original starting wage.

Or the teamsters love the turnover in the part timer ranks and the fact they may in some cases collect 3 initiation fees from the same part time position in one year.

But then again its probably because ups did not pick up the phone and offer to fix what the teamsters negotiated for their people.

Up_and_at_UPS

Coffee box sniffer
OVID, don't quit, you will regret it. I quit back in 03' and just got hired as seasonal and will not go permanent until Sept. I would give any thing to have the past 4 years under my belt at UPS. Don't sweat the money, it will come, time flies. 03' seems like yesterday. Work three jobs but don't give up the UPS.:thumbup1:

old levi's

blank space
I also think about quitting UPS, everyday. However, I somehow drag my tired old butt out of bed, put on the browns, go in and kill the dragon one more time. Only problem is that dragon comes back to life each night. Damn that dragon! :sad:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Or The part timer is not represented at the hall therefore the part timer does not get represented by the union at contract negotiations.

Tie i cant speak for the rest of the country but we have a pretty big part-time group who get involved and thats probably why we have gotten alot of 22.3 jobs here, 500 over this contract.

Or the teamsters knowing they will negotiate an economic package that equates to X dollars decides to take more of it for the full timer then the unborn part timer. Thus the starting wage has changed little while the part timer thats been around a while has been bumped up quite a bit from their original starting wage.

Your right when p-timers dont take action this happens, and any p-timer that had seniority as of the contract date will be making almost $15 an hour come aug 1st. I was referring to the comment that ups wants to pay more to the p-timers. Why would the teamsters object to this if ups called jimmy and asked if its ok to raise the starting pay?

Or the teamsters love the turnover in the part timer ranks and the fact they may in some cases collect 3 initiation fees from the same part time position in one year.

Your right again, but remember theres alot of right to work states were the teamsters dont get the iniation fee 1x.

But then again its probably because ups did not pick up the phone and offer to fix what the teamsters negotiated for their people.

Dont pass the buck all on the teamsters here tie! If ups was serious about staffing a good active p-time force they would have insisted on higher p-time rates. This is were we the friend-timers come and, its up to us to get these p-timers informed and involved before this contract gets a vote on it. Then we have to keeo the part-timers involved after the contract, these p-timers believe it or not are the future of ups and we should teach them now from the beginning!

lost

I have worked for UPS for 10 years as my only job part time, I have an apartment, an ok car, 2 kids and a husband that is too sick to work and cant get disability, yeah money is tight and I am not living the high life but we are making it. The fact is for me and my situation UPS is the best place for me. If it was not for the benefits I would more than likely be a 30 year young widow!! I could not my husbands meds like I am able to now with out UPS, Not in my situation. If you have a chance for something bigger and better more power to you and good luck.

Overpaid Union Thug

It's probably been about 7 years since I seriously thought about quiting UPS. Sure there are days where I get frustrated but when that happens I just take a deep breath and remind myself that I'm making pretty good money for only being a part-timer. Plus, the job is not hard. The past couple of weeks I have been as frustrated as I've ever been. UPS has dangled full-time jobs in our faces and then yanked them away, customers have been getting on my nerves with their CODs, I've been running rural routes in a p1000, and a few other small things but quiting hasn't crossed my mind once dearing this ordeal. I opened my direct deposit stub thursday after a frustrating day of not being able to get anywhere close to peoples' houses because of the narrowness of their driveways, length of their driveways, and the size of my truck and was quickly brought back down to Earth when I noticed that I've already cleared $20,000.000 for the year as a part-timer. I went home with a smile on my face.

aspenleaf

i think Fedex pays better for their part time loaders, maybe you want to lookinto that.

Here FedEx pays loaders 11.34 to start. . .I am not sure about the other benefits. I was already with UPS when I heard from FedEx and in the middle of the semester so I didn't look into working for them.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Here FedEx pays loaders 11.34 to start. . .I am not sure about the other benefits. I was already with UPS when I heard from FedEx and in the middle of the semester so I didn't look into working for them.

Sounds about right in terms of $$, Aspen. I had an interview with FDX Ground a year and a half ago. I've seen their Denver building. Its waaaaaaay up north in Henderson. I forget where exactly. I passed when the transportation became an issue. However, FDX's recruiter went ballistic when he saw my original UPS experience. They looooove former UPS'ers. -Rocky

aspenleaf

Sounds about right in terms of $$, Aspen. I had an interview with FDX Ground a year and a half ago. I've seen their Denver building. Its waaaaaaay up north in Henderson. I forget where exactly. I passed when the transportation became an issue. However, FDX's recruiter went ballistic when he saw my original UPS experience. They looooove former UPS'ers. -Rocky

I am sure they do love former UPSers. Do you know if they have similar benefits? For me UPS is a 10 minute drive so I would not switch for another part-time job. I would love an extra dollar an hour! I guess I will just have to settle for UPS paying for school and all the other benefits.:wink:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I am sure they do love former UPSers. Do you know if they have similar benefits? For me UPS is a 10 minute drive so I would not switch for another part-time job. I would love an extra dollar an hour! I guess I will just have to settle for UPS paying for school and all the other benefits.:wink:

My cousin's husband used to work for FDX Express, I think. He was paying something for his health coverage but I forget how much. It wasn't unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination. It was suggested to my brother that he try FDX and he laughed at the suggestion. -Rocky

tieguy

Banned
Dont pass the buck all on the teamsters here tie! If ups was serious about staffing a good active p-time force they would have insisted on higher p-time rates. This is were we the friend-timers come and, its up to us to get these p-timers informed and involved before this contract gets a vote on it. Then we have to keeo the part-timers involved after the contract, these p-timers believe it or not are the future of ups and we should teach them now from the beginning!

Who would you negotiate wages for if you were in the position. the guy who attends every meeting at the union hall or the part timer who has not been hired yet. Thats what your union has basically done. I haven't had the privledge of attending negotiations yet but I would imagine ups would pretty much spread the wage increases around the way the teamsters want them. I would imagine that if there is any take then the unborn those not hired yet get screwed first. I don't know if its laying blame or just commenting on the mindset of negotiations.

NI1

I dont think its just about the 'hourly'. Think of it this way, what company out there offers the same or better benefit package out there on partimers

W

westsideworma

Sorry to say it but lately I've been thinking of it as well.

When people tell you that if you work hard here you're rewarded with more work...believe it and don't let anyone tell you different. I cover now pulls (don't have my own anymore) and as such do whatever they need which was supposed to be starting a pull and then going to the slide and coming down to help when needed. However my manager in is infinite wisdom decided I shouldn't get a break ever (IE work the slide)...and put new hires there instead while I cover pulls that he doesn't think a new hire will be able to do....that was the last straw for me with him. I told him I don't care if a new hire can't do it thats where they are needed, you put two of them on heavy pulls before why not now? What is so special about this one? You have no problem throwing one on there when I'm about to go over 5...no answer for that either as usual. Needless to say I need a vacation, this place's self serving managerial decisions are pissing me off more than they ever used to and I'm having an increasingly difficult time keeping it to myself, which never used to be a problem.

If you were in college and JUST needed some extra money, would you break your back at UPS for 8.50 on a night shift or have a flexible schedule if you need it and likely pays more (in some cases MUCH more). UPS hinges too much on its benefit package to attract people when a lot of the workers they hire don't need them at the time. They need $$$ and when they see they can get the same or better pay and more hours (not to mention less work) at say a walmart or something, they're gone. I know because we've had a couple of walmart superstores and a home depot open in the area recently and for a while our applicants dried up and they were on us to get people in here. I know some of my friends' younger siblings are capable of working here, but I know they wouldn't stay with the wage so I didn't even bother.

HazMatMan

"It's pretty much about money, and the hours suck" Didn't they tell you the starting pay rate and hours you'll be working when you applied?? (I'm sure you are answering yes at this point) Then why did you take the job???

ovid

"It's pretty much about money, and the hours suck" Didn't they tell you the starting pay rate and hours you'll be working when you applied?? (I'm sure you are answering yes at this point) Then why did you take the job???

At UPS; there are the "haves', and the "have nots". a thousand bucks says you are one of the former.

dillweed

I agree that UPS is a rough place to work. Not only is it hard labor, the rules just don't apply the same for everyone. It stinks to watch certain slackers and Spa people stand and act cute for an entire shift but some willpower keeps me from even looking at them. Well, most days. Sometimes I have little fits and get into management's face but that's why they get the big bucks.

I've said this before but have to repeat; UPS is a huge company and the workforce is made up of mostly young men, full of testosterone and attitude. We females who stay, and especially those who worked their way up from the unload, are tough as nails and stubborn as mules.

I feel that's why management is designed the way it is. If they keep us in the dark, work psychological tricks and divide us we can't be near as strong as a union as we'd be if the contract was followed. They constantly disregard the contract and keep us busy by playing their head games. It sucks but can be mastered by being composed and consistent. Easier said than done.

All in all it's good place to work and many of us would be in big trouble without the benefits. My own husband was out of work with an injury for over a year and we'd have been down the tubes long ago without the insurance and good pay. I've been there almost 15 years and make over $20 per hour. Will get a good raise in August. So I bite the bullet, try to keep a blank look on my face and my big mouth shut. My gosh, that's hard to do but I'm a tough old bat and will keep on truckin'
:thumbup1:

hdkappler

i met a fella on my old route who told me with the benefits ups has he would take that job in a heart beat.even if it were only .50 an hour raise per year.course he said that he would drive a truck for only 10.00-12.00 an hour also.i ask him why he didn't apply?