This Day in History......

moreluck

golden ticket member
Aug. 7, 1945
On this day in 1947, Kon-Tiki, a balsa wood raft captained by Norwegian anthropologist Thor Heyerdahl, completes a 4,300-mile, 101-day journey from Peru to Raroia in the Tuamotu Archipelago, near Tahiti.Heyerdahl wanted to prove his theory that prehistoric South Americans could have colonized the Polynesian islands by drifting on ocean currents.

moreluck

golden ticket member
August 8, 1974
In an evening televised address, President Richard M. Nixon announces his intention to become the first president in American history to resign. With impeachment proceedings underway against him for his involvement in the Watergate affair, Nixon was finally bowing to pressure from the public and Congress to leave the White House. “By taking this action,” he said in a solemn address from the Oval Office, “I hope that I will have hastened the start of the process of healing which is so desperately needed in America.”

moreluck

golden ticket member
Aug. 9, 1969
On this day in 1969, the 26-year-old actress Sharon Tate, the pregnant wife of acclaimed movie director Roman Polanski (Rosemary’s Baby, Chinatown), is found murdered along with four other people at her Los Angeles home. The gruesome crime, in which the killers scrawled messages on the walls with the victims’ blood, sent Hollywood into a state of panic. The career criminal and cult leader Charles Manson and his followers, who lived together on the outskirts of L.A. in a commune where drug use and orgies were common, were later convicted for the murders.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
On this date August 9 1945. The US hit Nagasaki with a second a bomb ,,, I guess they knew we meant business this time !
Truman made a great decision and the Japs surrender on the 15 !!
Obama would ah probably sent an unmarked plane full of cash with an apology !

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Aug. 6, 1945
On this day in 1945, at 8:16 a.m. Japanese time, an American B-29 bomber, the Enola Gay, drops the world’s first atom bomb, over the city of Hiroshima. Approximately 80,000 people are killed as a direct result of the blast, and another 35,000 are injured. At least another 60,000 would be dead by the end of the year from the effects of the fallout.
...and some people still whinge on about it being a racist act of terrorism.

MAKAVELI

On this date August 9 1945. The US hit Nagasaki with a second a bomb ,,, I guess they knew we meant business this time !
Truman made a great decision and the Japs surrender on the 15 !!
Obama would ah probably sent an unmarked plane full of cash with an apology !
Japs? Are you a 90 year old WWII vet?

Covemastah

No .... But I had a family full of vets that fought over there . Along with my cousins uncle who is still in the Arizona !!!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So @DriveInDriveOut
How should the situation with Japan should of been handled ???
Another invasion with the loss of another 50 to 60 thousand more American s being killed ??
If that's what it took.
Hindsight says it probably wouldn't have, but we'll never know.

Either way civilians should be off limits for us. We're better than that.
At least I hope we will be one day.

BrownArmy

So @DriveInDriveOut
How should the situation with Japan should of been handled ???
Another invasion with the loss of another 50 to 60 thousand more American s being killed ??

Maybe the situation could have been handled without nukes?

We wanted to test our new toy, so we did.

Twice.

Unforgivable...they were on the ropes, and we were going to win.

Yes, yes: hindsight is 20/20.

We are still the only nation to deploy nukes.

Putin is discussing using low-grade nukes in tactical situations.

Who are we to tell him otherwise?

Covemastah

Yes civilians should have been spared in , but the Japanese had no regard to civilians , I believe thousands would have been killed in an all out invasion , Americans as well as Japanese

Covemastah

Unforgivable is bombing troop ships and then flying planes into them ! Unforgivable is the Bataan death march , unforgivable is the way they treated American POWs and what they did to the Chinese

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Unforgivable is bombing troop ships and then flying planes into them ! Unforgivable is the Bataan death march , unforgivable is the way they treated American POWs and what they did to the Chinese
Soldiers.
Civilians.
There should be a big difference. Even today, it seems there isn't.
And it's an embarrassment for our country to lower ourselves to that level.

Covemastah

80 thousand dead civilians was a shame , but their emperor brought that upon them forcing our hand ,,, better than 1.5 million American casualties in all out invasion !

MAKAVELI

120k+ Iraqi civilian deaths as a result of our unjustified invasion and war is also unforgivable.