This generation

Travwise

Admittedly.....I am often frustrated by the union, and what I perceive as their lack of support or action BUT to say unions are no longer necessary....that's just ignorant.

If you'd like to work for a non-union Fortune 500 company to see what your "good job" gets you go apply at Wal-mart.

Seriously...chicken face....do it. Please.

ImWaitingForTheDay

Annoy a conservative....Think for yourself
Admittedly.....I am often frustrated by the union, and what I perceive as their lack of support or action BUT to say unions are no longer necessary....that's just ignorant.

If you'd like to work for a non-union Fortune 500 company to see what your "good job" gets you go apply at Wal-mart.

Seriously...chicken face....do it. Please.
Try any division of fedwrecks,and they will be running back so fast....

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Could careless about a union

That is scary.. I'm thinking about this now because this older guy was so happy he's getting a job that has a union but my age group we say who cares? Lol.

My age group.. I'm in my early 20's we could careless about a union including me tbh.. as long as I'm getting a paycheck every week I'm good.. I feel like unions are getting weak and not putting themselves out there anymore.

My generation could careless. . My mom even agree and she works at Chrysler. Its the unions fault.

Bro, speak for yourself. I'm 19 yrs old going on to 20. My mindset is nothing like yours. If you're a bum and don't like succeeding, then ok, keep it that way. But don't try to drag me into your mess to make your self feel better about your messed up life.

959Nanook

You're thinking express employees who have been there 20+ years. The new guys don't have it much better than ground.
Mind telling us where you got your information? I am looking at side-by-side comps online and I don't come to the same conclusion (especially when you consider benefits).

Just speaking for my neck of the woods... we have a Package Driver who was a car wash for FedEx and one of our own former part-timers now drives for FedEx (forget which). FedEx Express drivers hire on at a higher wage than our Package Drivers as I understand it and our Drivers lag behind during Progression where I am. UPSers with low seniority are guaranteed overtime so that might make a difference.

The general consensus in my neck of the woods seems to be UPS for career-minded if you can last until you get a shot at Package Driver and FedEx Express for money in the first three-five years. Neither of them are looking to work FedEx Ground as far as I know.

Incidentally, UPS has some contractors that work somewhat like FedEx Ground and those would be a better comparison to FedEx Ground in my mind though they are used in rather limited capacity as far as I know.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Mind telling us where you got your information? I am looking at side-by-side comps online and I don't come to the same conclusion (especially when you consider benefits).

Just speaking for my neck of the woods... we have a Package Driver who was a car wash for FedEx and one of our own former part-timers now drives for FedEx (forget which). FedEx Express drivers hire on at a higher wage than our Package Drivers as I understand it and our Drivers lag behind during Progression where I am. UPSers with low seniority are guaranteed overtime so that might make a difference.

The general consensus in my neck of the woods seems to be UPS for career-minded if you can last until you get a shot at Package Driver and FedEx Express for money in the first three-five years. Neither of them are looking to work FedEx Ground as far as I know.

Incidentally, UPS has some contractors that work somewhat like FedEx Ground and those would be a better comparison to FedEx Ground in my mind though they are used in rather limited capacity as far as I know.
Check out the FedEx forum on the site. Benefits being cut every year. Guys forced to take 2-3 hour lunches unpaid. Full scale is virtually unattainable under the current format. The list goes on. A first year driver at ups will make around 50k. I doubt a first year FedEx employee could say the same.

From what I understand they are replacing most retirees with two part timers. FedEx is winning the race to the bottom that's for sure.

Loyal Teamster

Could careless about a union

That is scary.. I'm thinking about this now because this older guy was so happy he's getting a job that has a union but my age group we say who cares? Lol.

My age group.. I'm in my early 20's we could careless about a union including me tbh.. as long as I'm getting a paycheck every week I'm good.. I feel like unions are getting weak and not putting themselves out there anymore.

My generation could careless. . My mom even agree and she works at Chrysler. Its the unions fault.

Shame on you. This union is the reason you make to 70k delivering boxes. Teamsters is what forces UPS to promote from within, instead of hiring people off the street. Unions give us an incentive to work harder and strive for a advancement. The union care for the welfare us our families and us.
Being part of this Brotherhood is a great honor and your "Generation" is foolish to overlook all that my "Generation" has fought for to achieve what we have so far.
People like you threaten the progress ans future of Unions across America.

959Nanook

I checked out a few threads... it confirmed that we are not much different in my neck of the woods... UPS is for careers and FedEx is for making money in the short run. I still do not see an exodus for FedEx Ground. I get asked about how to get hired on at UPS by many a FedEx Ground employee but FedEx Express employees that I run into just shake their head at the dock when they see my packed truck and they got plenty of room. They know they will be home when we are delivering to their house. I worked over 12.75 hours today.

I did say that overtime has the ability to have an impact on annual income despite the differences in starting wages. I can unequivocally state that I did NOT make anywhere close to 50k my first year driving due to layoffs. Starting annual income is a mixed bag with many determinants that evolve in my Center.

All this aside, you said that new FedEx Express employees are not that much better off than FedEx Ground employees. The sum of my experiences (rather limited in scope and quantity) don't affirm this notion so I am struggling to see it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Future

Victory Ride
WAR14.jpg
UPS without a strong union!

Insaneasylum

Or you could show up to work and do a good job -- knowing you won't be fired because you did a good job.

Unions aren't necessary anymore. Once upon a time they were, mostly for safety issues.

I don't need the unions to keep my job. I by doing it the best I can. What I do need a union for is to make sure I receive a fair wage along with benifits and a nice retirement. If you don't care for unions go work at fedx, then you can see what life is like with out a union. You can do the same work for way less pay and also you'll have to pay for your health care and your retirement.

Sent using BrownCafe App

S

selfcancelsignal

Check out the FedEx forum on the site. Benefits being cut every year. Guys forced to take 2-3 hour lunches unpaid. Full scale is virtually unattainable under the current format. The list goes on. A first year driver at ups will make around 50k. I doubt a first year FedEx employee could say the same.

From what I understand they are replacing most retirees with two part timers. FedEx is winning the race to the bottom that's for sure.
They hafta load there own trucks too. No thanks.

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

959Nanook

They hafta load there own trucks too. No thanks.

I will echo barnyard's comments and say that Driver Sort and Load has big benefits. I have never run a load loaded by a Preloader; however, I run loads loaded by fellow Drivers and have run my own loads as well. I can't imagine that a Preloader is going to inherently possess better area knowledge or load a truck better than a Driver familiar with delivering in general and the route's trace.

Before you say that Preloaders have technology... that technology is only as good as the software. I can see an experienced Preloader assisted by technology beating an inexperienced Driver with inadequate area knowledge; however, this is the exception to the rule where an inexperienced Driver with inadequate area knowledge is loading trucks on a Driver Sort and Load.

From the perspective of a Driver on a Driver Sort and Load, one of the worst aspects can be working with fellow Teamsters and/or dealing with supervisors depending upon the dynamics in the shop. Getting out on road and being left alone to do your job can be a relief. Some Drivers will avoid the Sort and Load (late start routes or other duties) to avoid the coworkers. The most difficult physical work is unloading the trailers which is borne by low seniority Drivers so coworker avoidance seems to be the most common thread that Drivers who have higher seniority do not want to be on the Driver Sort and Load. Most Drivers want to be on the Sort and Load because it is easy indoors work for Driver pay.

aiian

I've been called in (volunteered) to work preload a few times and without a doubt I would prefer loading my own PC over Joe Preload doing it.

There isn't a loader alive who could load a route as well as the driver would.

BrownTexas

I loved the days as a TCD when I loaded and then drove. Max out my 14 hours, get crazy overtime, get paid at TCD rate for all hours worked and still be home with plenty of family time.

BrownBrokeDown

1.) Chickenlegs - before you post something like the op and subsequent posts, do research to make sure you are not just pulling facts out of you brown eye. There were 4 main reasons for unions, 1.) worker safety, 2.) fair wages, 3.) fair work weeks (meaning you dont have to work 7 days and 80+ hours), and 4.) harassment/favortism/termination just because/etc issues.

2.) Chickenlegs - unions are still needed for all 4. Obviously you are still younger and have not held many different jobs. There are many jobs that do not pay a fair and adequate wage. As a PT employee, at the end of this contract (7 years at UPS) I will be making $16.31 with free healthcare. At my other job right now, I am a blue collar Lead, report directly to a VP, and have 8 years in and making $15.07 per hour and healthcare for my family would cost me $160 per week. Oh, also if I am still here at my next review, they lowered our raises. I will get approximately $0.24. That is the difference in having a union

3.)I don't remember who posted it saying pters are not really affected by the union because of the low wages - While I agree that the pters are underpaid, the free healthcare makes a huge difference on the bring home, even if it doesn't affect the gross. As said above, if I had my family on Med/Dent/Vision on the other jobs insurance, I would pay approximately $160 out of 4 paychecks every month ($640 per month)...and the insurance is worse.