This has to be the worst job of all-time...

Jr.

This :censored2: is clearly a joke. I've applied, interviewed, been orientated, and hired for the driver helpers position all this in one single week! one single week! one single week!!! Now here I am a month later waiting on a call for an 8.50/hr position, making my self go to bed early just to wake up as early as 7am so I can prepare myself for the 8am-8:30am big call. But oh wait! Just got the dream call I've been waiting for since I've wanted to work for UPS for yearsssssssssss, every since I got my first game (Nintendo 64) remember those days seeing that big brown truck saying "I'm going to drive that big brown truck one day, just one day". I receive the long awaited call this morning, everything went fine, that is.... until the driver told me meet him at a place thats fawking 50 MINS AWAY! I might as well take my traveling bags and boots if I'm going to be driving that far just to meet a driver, lmao... and last i checked gas wasn't imbursed for this position :dissapointed:

This clearly has to be the worst position known to man-kind, why might I say such an sinister thing? Well because first you have to wait a month before being contacted only to find out there's some hidden horse :censored2: that they didn't inform you.... now I was told you and the driver would plan to meet at an agreed place everyday that's close to your home, that way you wouldn't have to worry about driving too far... boy was I wrong? :happy2:

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
You shouldn't have to travel that far but if that's all they've offered and you really wanna ride & help this season, drive it. I drove 1/2 hour to meet my driver when I was a helper. Depending on your driver, it can be a lotta fun. It's how I knew I wanted to drive as I was pt loading midnight.
Hang in there. If you're that passionate about driving, you'll get there.

Jr.

Yea but I viewed it as a step in the door, viewed it as an opportunity that could lead me to a permanent part-time position, found out that this job is just full of ish, and just found out by reading on here that there is no guarantees to even being hired after-wards. What a waste...

i just wanted to be apart of the UPS family :(

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
You can apply on line for a pt position.

You should have been told there were no guarantees. I am so sorry. A lotta stuff is falling through the cracks right now. Some of us are trying to make it better.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yea but I viewed it as a step in the door, viewed it as an opportunity that could lead me to a permanent part-time position, found out that this job is just full of ish, and just found out by reading on here that there is no guarantees to even being hired after-wards. What a waste...

i just wanted to be apart of the UPS family :(

How far are the facilities from your location? You might have to make sacrifices.... I drive 32 miles to and from work, never in 10 years been a "close commute"

dillweed

Well, you do have two things that will help you survive at UPS - a fiesty attitude and great sense of humor. Your post made me laugh.

Starting as a helper must be rough. They want you to jump and run when and if they call. And it sounds like a heller drive.

I was lucky enough to hire in pt during regular season and never faced lay-off. We have several seasonal ptmers who were on call often before we got busy. They'd have to get up early and call in to see if they were needed. Some hung in there, some did not.

hubrat's right about this being a good chance for you to find out what driving's all about. If you don't have anything better going right now might as well jump in and test the waters.

satellitedriver

This clearly has to be the worst position known to man-kind, why might I say such an sinister thing?
Maybe because you based reality on a video game.
I personally think the worst position a man can be in is staying at home and not going out everyday looking for work.
I was a seasonal hire and drove 110 mile commute every day for the privilege.
Laid off after peak, then was the first one hired back.
24 years later, I am planning for my retirement from UPS next year.
Best of luck to you finding an easy way to be a working man.

fethrs

Jr.;787963 making my self go to bed early just to wake up as early as 7am [B said:
What would you do if you got a preload job and had to start work at 3 am?

This clearly has to be the worst position known to man-kind
If this position is so bad why are there so many people trying to get this job? And have you actually worked yet?

This time of year is what we call "peak" it is very busy and most people are thankful to be able to work even if it means getting up in the middle of the night to work in the hub or driving far to meet a driver.
Let us know how it works out for you, if you stay.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I pick up my helper on my christmas run and text him when I will be close. Different situation from yours and I feel for ya.

bumped

I thought if they were hired after Thanksgiving the didn't have to pay initiation. If hired before Thanksgiving they had to pay it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Boy, the OP is making me feel really bad that I pick up and drop off my helper everyday right at the end of his driveway. Nah, just kidding.