This has to be the worst job of all-time...

JonFrum

Helpers here are not required to join the union unless they are hired on after Peak.

It's hard to know anything with certainty when it comes to UPS and the Teamsters, but I assume the default position is that delivering packages is Bargaining Unit work and therefore is to be done exclusively by Bargaining Unit members. So, rightly or wrongly, in a non-RTW state, a Driver's Helper should be paying dues and initiation fees (or Agency Fees in the case of a Consciencious Objector.)

However, a Local can always, within limits, charge a lesser dues rate or smaller initiation fee; and besides, if the Helper is only working a few days, the Union may simply not catch up to him before his short Peak Season is over.

I wouldn't think anyone could get a refund if they actually worked a day during the month in question.

Anyone else know for sure how helpers are treated in your area?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Anyone else know for sure how helpers are treated in your area?

No one who is hired during peak season is required to join the union. They are considered temporary employees, they do not accrue any seniority, and they cannot continue working after December 31st. If they wish to continue their employment with UPS tehy must be rehired, and at that point they begin to accrue seniority and union membership becomes mandatory.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
No one who is hired during peak season is required to join the union. They are considered temporary employees, they do not accrue any seniority, and they cannot continue working after December 31st. If they wish to continue their employment with UPS tehy must be rehired, and at that point they begin to accrue seniority and union membership becomes mandatory.

Our temporary seasonal employees can and do infact pay dues and are refunded if they seek a withdrawral card.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our temporary seasonal employees can and do infact pay dues and are refunded if they seek a withdrawral card.

Poor contract language in my opinion. It seems silly to bill a temp for dues, only to turn around and refund them once peak season is over. Our way is much simpler...union membership is not a requirement for peak hires, but if they stay on after Dec. 31st then they gain seniority and must join the union at that time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Poor contract language in my opinion. It seems silly to bill a temp for dues, only to turn around and refund them once peak season is over. Our way is much simpler...union membership is not a requirement for peak hires, but if they stay on after Dec. 31st then they gain seniority and must join the union at that time.
You're a steward or at least I had thought; and this IS the Teamsters union after all. You know what to expect.