This is a customer question, sorry. I'm extremely confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully understand you don't really accept/want customer questions here, I don't blame you. I'm not here to ask you about my package specifically, really, I don't expect you to be able to speed up the delivery or anything like that. If you end up removing this thread, alright, understandable.

Scroll down to the bold text for a TL;DR.

Anyway, I ordered a laptop off of Amazon on the 29th and chose 2-day air, expecting the delivery to be on 12/31 like it said it would be. Everything was cool, I was tracking my package almost religiously because it's fun to do, the expected delivery was still 12/31 on UPS's website.
Then earlier, at about 4am this morning I see "Next Scheduled Event: Monday,01/04/2016 by 10:00 A.M" and "Scheduled Delivery Updated To: Monday, 01/04/2016". I was disappointed, and didn't really understand why it changed all of a sudden so I stayed up until 7am to chat with CS. That's when I got confused.

I was put onto a chat with Brenda R. and explained my situation. I was wondering if the package had failed the 2-day air guarantee since the origin scan was on 12/29 and I (assumed) I was guaranteed delivery on 12/31. Also, the package was in Indianapolis according to my tracking log info, which is about 30 minutes away from me so I was wondering if it was at all possible for me to pick it up from a center today since it wouldn't be delivered.

She told me that the package was on track, saying "Your package was given to us for shipping yesterday, midnight. The day number one in transit is today and the day number two in transit is on Monday, due to the Holiday. Your package has not arrived yet, and it is moving by air. It is not accessible to be retrieved to be delivered or pickup."
This confused me, because the last scan was an arrival scan and the "Last Location" said "Arrived - Indianapolis, IN, United States, Thursday, 12/31/2015".
She then tells me that "The scan that you see online is a forecast scan. I apologize that those scans online are that confused."

Here comes my main question: Are the tracking scans really "forcasted"? I thought they were scanned as they moved throughout the US? Is the UPS Package tracker essentially pointless to even bother with then?

Here's my tracking log for reference:
Indianapolis, IN, United States
12/31/2015 4:42 A.M. Arrival Scan
12/31/2015 4:12 A.M. Departure Scan
Indianapolis, IN, United States
12/30/2015 4:49 P.M. Arrival Scan
Louisville, KY, United States
12/30/2015 2:29 P.M. Departure Scan
West Columbia, SC, United States
12/30/2015 11:05 A.M. Departure Scan
12/30/2015 9:41 A.M. Arrival Scan
Orlando, FL, United States
12/30/2015 8:34 A.M. Departure Scan
12/30/2015 2:00 A.M. Arrival Scan
12/30/2015 12:55 A.M. Departure Scan
Lakeland, FL, United States
12/29/2015 5:27 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 12/29/2015 5:33 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

And, finally, if this doesn't get removed and any of you actually read all of this, thank you guys so much. I understand that the holiday season has to be hell for everyone who works in this type of thing and customers can be ridiculous.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, the scans are forecasted.

Do yourself a favor---get your tracking number and read the 9th and 10th digits. If they are anything other than 02 that means you will have to be there to physically sign for the package (on the 4th).

Do yourself a favor---get your tracking number and read the 9th and 10th digits. If they are anything other than 02 that means you will have to be there to physically sign for the package (on the 4th).

I would've never known they were forecasted, I don't think UPS says it anywhere on their site? At least not blatantly. And, wow, thank you so much - I won't have to sign! The more you know.

Wait a minute guys, the site just updated, apparently the package is out for delivery?! Since it's forecasted, does that mean it's really not or something? Sorry for being ill-informed on this stuff, I'm just curious now.

oldngray

nowhere special
Amazon's estimated delivery dates are frequently wrong. They lean to the pessimistic side. Often you get your package earlier than they say. From the tracking it looks like you should get it today.

Amazon's estimated delivery dates are frequently wrong. They lean to the pessimistic side. Often you get your package earlier than they say. From the tracking it looks like you should get it today.
Ah, I know, I was going off of UPS's site directly. Thank you, though! The site just updated for delivery today.

You may have gotten lucky. Today is a UPS holiday but we are delivering premium packages, including second day air.
I definitely feel lucky, I was already settling into the fact that I probably wouldn't get it until the 4th.
Thank you guys so much, again, it really means a lot. The stuff you all do is very important, I appreciate it immensely. I hope you all have a great new years!

upschuck

That is an odd tracking of a package. There is no sorting of that package at all, just trailers arriving, and departing hubs.

upschuck

Ah, sorry, I'm not entirely sure what that means? Logical/Derived as in it was scanned directly from the package?
That would be a physical scan, Logical would be I put it in trailer, scan trailer, that package receives an "Arrival" or "Departure" scan. That first "Origin" scan coming from Amazon could be that they told us that package was in trailer, so when we scan trailer in, it is "Derived" from what they told us was there.

If it has an "Out for Delivery" scan, that is most likely a "Physical" scan.

That would be a physical scan, Logical would be I put it in trailer, scan trailer, that package receives an "Arrival" or "Departure" scan. That first "Origin" scan coming from Amazon could be that they told us that package was in trailer, so when we scan trailer in, it is "Derived" from what they told us was there.

If it has an "Out for Delivery" scan, that is most likely a "Physical" scan.

Oh, wow, that makes sense, thank you for the explanation!

upschuck

35 means 2DA Del Confirmation.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
image.jpg
Thanks for all the kind informative help......

Status
Not open for further replies.