This is my first time hired outside of peak season.

jesus_saves

I worked the last two years during peak season. I prayed and ups finally called me for work. I need some tips and pointers about what I need to do for them to keep me etc. I wil be working at a small hub less then 15 people working on the sort. Thanks in advance

I worked the last two years during peak season. I prayed and ups finally called me for work. I need some tips and pointers about what I need to do for them to keep me etc. I wil be working at a small hub less then 15 people working on the sort. Thanks in advance

I think you will be ok because of rule #1 you give JC his props God bless and be as safe as you can.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Work as fast as you safely can, use the 5 keys to lifting/lowering, work smart and be EARLY ON TIME** EVERY DAY**

jesus_saves

Well HR called me this morning and told me I have orientation tomorrow morning and its for a permanent spot. Praise the Lord!!!!! so its 30 days being on time and i'm good?

Magnus

Glad to hear it! My situation is exactly the same as yours. I prayed the night before, put it in God’s hands and then the very next day I saw that the Riverside CA hub had openings and nabbed one of the interviews. I also have two consecutive Peaks with the highest rehire rating under my belt, great reviews from all of my Drivers (one of which met with my manager personally to praise my work ethic and who is now also a lifelong friend), and last but not least my Manager of the same going to bat for me with H/R (the same guy who hired me in two years ago for my first Peak) to make sure that I get first chops at the job.

There’s no way they’re not going to hire me with that! I just wish it had been the Romoland center, I’m already a part of the Brown family over there but hey, I could get lucky and transfer after I’m in past probationary period (that other center is less than a mile from my house). :)

The most important thing you can do RIGHT NOW is to study the zip codes that your center covers – you are going to be expected to know each one by heart eventually, because you will have about 2 SECONDS to decide what to do with that package, and if it goes in the wrong place – you WILL get reprimanded and warned, and fired if it keeps happening. So really, really study your zip codes. And if you’re a little out of training physically, start building your stamina up before you get in there – it’ll halve the fatigue and recovery when you DO start working, and give you an edge over the other newbies that didn’t prepare their bodies beforehand and who burn out quicker.

As for the actual on the job stuff, after you get hired, is to keep your nose to the grindstone. Work as hard as you possibly can during probation (SAFELY) – then back that off just a tad, or step it up (whatever you can do SAFELY) after that's over with, and never, ever show up late (without a damn good excuse – and you better have proof of whatever you say to cover your butt) and kiss everybody’s behinds (but not too much). It’s a delicate balance of working hard, making your managers happy and look good to THEIR managers, and having some fun.

Really, don’t take the job TOO seriously, but don’t slack off either. Find a good pace you can maintain for 4-8 hours straight, and stick with it. If management comes down on you at any point, just let it roll off of your back and keep on working (try to do whatever they tell you to do IF you can do it SAFELY) – they come down on EVERYBODY, regardless of if you are doing a good job or not (they even do it to senior drivers with 30 years under their belts, I’ve seen it and it’s not pretty). It’s just how it is (and when it happens it is because THEIR managers are coming down on YOUR managers, so they feel they've got to yell and scream and give others a hard time to make it look like they're doing a good job themselves, even if it is totally unwarranted) that brown building is a shark tank and everybody gets a bite taken out from time to time, and you have to grin and bare it, grow a thick skin and keep moving.

Good luck with the new job, and God bless!!! :peaceful:

dillweed

Congrats jesus_saves and it's good to see you back! You know the routine, flow through it and then forget it ever happened. :happy-very:

jesus_saves

Glad to hear it! My situation is exactly the same as yours. I prayed the night before, put it in God’s hands and then the very next day I saw that the Riverside CA hub had openings and nabbed one of the interviews. I also have two consecutive Peaks with the highest rehire rating under my belt, great reviews from all of my Drivers (one of which met with my manager personally to praise my work ethic and who is now also a lifelong friend), and last but not least my Manager of the same going to bat for me with H/R (the same guy who hired me in two years ago for my first Peak) to make sure that I get first chops at the job.

There’s no way they’re not going to hire me with that! I just wish it had been the Romoland center, I’m already a part of the Brown family over there but hey, I could get lucky and transfer after I’m in past probationary period (that other center is less than a mile from my house). :)

The most important thing you can do RIGHT NOW is to study the zip codes that your center covers – you are going to be expected to know each one by heart eventually, because you will have about 2 SECONDS to decide what to do with that package, and if it goes in the wrong place – you WILL get reprimanded and warned, and fired if it keeps happening. So really, really study your zip codes. And if you’re a little out of training physically, start building your stamina up before you get in there – it’ll halve the fatigue and recovery when you DO start working, and give you an edge over the other newbies that didn’t prepare their bodies beforehand and who burn out quicker.

As for the actual on the job stuff, after you get hired, is to keep your nose to the grindstone. Work as hard as you possibly can during probation (SAFELY) – then back that off just a tad, or step it up (whatever you can do SAFELY) after that's over with, and never, ever show up late (without a damn good excuse – and you better have proof of whatever you say to cover your butt) and kiss everybody’s behinds (but not too much). It’s a delicate balance of working hard, making your managers happy and look good to THEIR managers, and having some fun.

Really, don’t take the job TOO seriously, but don’t slack off either. Find a good pace you can maintain for 4-8 hours straight, and stick with it. If management comes down on you at any point, just let it roll off of your back and keep on working (try to do whatever they tell you to do IF you can do it SAFELY) – they come down on EVERYBODY, regardless of if you are doing a good job or not (they even do it to senior drivers with 30 years under their belts, I’ve seen it and it’s not pretty). It’s just how it is (and when it happens it is because THEIR managers are coming down on YOUR managers, so they feel they've got to yell and scream and give others a hard time to make it look like they're doing a good job themselves, even if it is totally unwarranted) that brown building is a shark tank and everybody gets a bite taken out from time to time, and you have to grin and bare it, grow a thick skin and keep moving.

Good luck with the new job, and God bless!!! :peaceful:
God is good! And all the time God is good! I loved the story and goodluck with brown! I spoke to the Full time supervisor when I went for orientation and he took me he pushed for me to get called back. It was only three of us who worked peak season and out of the three I got called. God does know how to touch people to bless you. Thanks for the tips btw. I have been running/walking 3 miles a day on my lunch hour for the last months at the gym. The hub I will be working at is real small. Less then ten people if i'm right. We will be working from the 6:15 to 9:00 p.m. I will work hard to get the job done and also try to be safe just like you said. I will do just want I did the pervious peak seasons. Work hard, work fast, respectful to everyone, being on time and last but not least working safe. I can't wait til tomorrow night to get back in the mix I been waiting for this day since I moved from Texas in Jan. of 09. I thanked God for giving me this job and ask Him to give me the strength to do my part. My wife and I are expecting our 3rd child and even tho she is a stay at home mom until she get her 4 year degree in college the extra income would help a lot. Especially after I make a year, so I can save 300+ dollars from my day job (insurance).

Congrats jesus_saves and it's good to see you back! You know the routine, flow through it and then forget it ever happened. :happy-very:
Thanks Dillweed. I'm happy to be back! be blessed!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The insurance will kick in for you after a year but it will be after 18 months for your family. You will need to keep the insurance through your day job at least through the birth of your 3rd child. Good luck and congratulations on the new addition to your family.

jesus_saves

The insurance will kick in for you after a year but it will be after 18 months for your family. You will need to keep the insurance through your day job at least through the birth of your 3rd child. Good luck and congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Oh yeah I forgot and thanks I can't wait to meet the baby. ( I refuse to talk about the sex of the baby until I know) Today was my first day and i'm aching all over lol this will take me about a month to get used to it, but I just put my bible audiobook on my ipod and work through it. Memo to myself before you go to ups make sure you Eat and have Gallons of water!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I may, I'd like to give you a little friendly advice. Do with it what you will.

I notice you that you are a very religious person and I commend you for that. I am sure that you have noticed that some of your co-workers aren't. While it is most certainly your right to embrace your religion, please take care not to "push" it on others as your efforts may not have the intended response.