this is what I see at my center

box_beeyotch

I don't have a question actually ... just observations. My soon to be leaving pt sup was very honest with me and he said he's been stuck at 15 an hour for years. He's been there 9 , 8 as pt sup. My center manager destroys him and the other sups before and after every shift......

I see bottles of piss in 3 out of every 4 trucks. After a couple of hours of unload I check trucks finish car wash and leave. I only get 3 hours a day buy I know I can get 3&1/2 ... thing is... asking for those guaranteed hours gets under management skin. They hate it and im scared to ask them for it... should I be? Can they negatively effect my growth? .... guess I did have a question :-)

They cant tell you no when you ask for your guarantee and if they do, file a grievance. Always get what you are entitled to especially as a part timer.

box_beeyotch

UPS may not be able to tell you no when you demand your guaranteed hours, but they can lay off the lowest seniority person.

They won't do that when their short staffed as is. I firmly believe in getting your guaranteed pay for the day regardless. At this point in time, that is the part of the contract that stands out the most to me.

They won't do that when their short staffed as is. I firmly believe in getting your guaranteed pay for the day regardless. At this point in time, that is the part of the contract that stands out the most to me.
If they were that short staffed he would be getting his guaranteed hours. My building is fat on PT and giving people days off knowing they can fill the vacancies when people move on. I also work in a hub building with a lot of PT. Working in a small center with a Nazi center manager can be pretty tough.

box_beeyotch

If they were that short staffed he would be getting his guaranteed hours. My building is fat on PT and giving people days off knowing they can fill the vacancies when people move on. I also work in a hub building with a lot of PT. Working in a small center with a Nazi center manager can be pretty tough.

My center is relatively small but our center manager is a good guy. He is on our side more often than not. Our local sort has been short staffed since peak ended. More often thsn not they rely on laid off drivers to show and when they have routes they ask other drivers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My center is relatively small but our center manager is a good guy. He is on our side more often than not. Our local sort has been short staffed since peak ended. More often thsn not they rely on laid off drivers to show and when they have routes they ask other drivers.
You may work in my center lol. Begging guys to stay and work local sort after driving.

I work in a pretty good building also. Good Center managers and Hub managers. Always willing to work with hourlies before having to file a grievances. Preload manager is a whole different story. Biggest reason preloaders join the Union in their first year.

Someone who was hired same time as me filed a grievance and brought the union man for a meeting with the manager. Don't know what it was about but that was 2 weeks ago and lately he's been getting sent home earlier and earlier. Now I hear word he could be black balled from driving.....

This is a difficult situation.im new, I'm at least getting 3 hours a day and I haven't gotten on any management radar except for maybe turning down the pt sup offer.

I don't think I'm qualified enough to become the union rep for my shift honestly lol. I don't even have my benefits yet. In any case not really sure what to do

2Slow

Find the union board, look at the schedule, attend the meetings. You are the union, the union can be pretty effective when people are active. If the meeting is a paid nap time for the BA, you may not get much action out of them.

Im gonna have to find that out when I go in later today. I don't think my steward is bad, I've seen him back up employee grievances and meet with management as I'm coming into my shift. Im just concerned about management locking me out of any potential opportunities.

J

jibbs

Reality, are you planning on making UPS a career, or is this just a short little PT stint for you?

If you want to be a driver that badly, stay quiet, do what you're told, sign every bid sheet you're eligible to and prepare to wait while your chance comes up, being a good little yes-man all the way along. Then, when you become a driver, your management will know and absolutely will take advantage of the type of worker they've managed to mold you into.

On the other hand, if you qualify to drive as a PTer, you're going to get a shot when your time comes with regard to that bid sheet. If you do it well, it's going to be pretty hard for them to deny you, especially if you get yourself involved with your local and get the support of the right people behind you.

Seriously, you don't have to suck your CMs dick to get a shot at FT. All you need is seniority, a clean driving record and, allegedly, the ability to drive a stick.

If you're just a kid trying to make extra money, grievances are most definitely the way to go. In this situation UPS is not long-term and you should milk it for every gosh darn red cent you can legitimately get out of the company, and you can rest assured that grievances filed due to contractual violations are just as legit as your weekly paycheck.

Nope I just turned 28 I have this job and another part time that get paid well at. Im here for the benefits and the potential to get yearly raises. The waiting list at my center for package car is too long but I can do Saturday air which is what I want

So basically I'm here to get raises for both twilight pt loader and Saturday air. I can do that with my current part time till the wage of both jobs go up. That's what it's looking like now but im only 3 months in.