This is why I refuse to cross behind the package car

tourists24

Upstate - some employee's think they do not have to abide by methods, policies and procedures set forth by UPS, for some reason they think they can do what ever they want, when they want. Thats all that reply was about.
Yep,,, expected that kind of response from someone who pushes pencils. It not about doing what we want when we want. The methods cannot cover all scenarios. If I feel unsafe going behind, then I am going to look out for myself and do it the safe way. Ive done this long enough to know that the methods arent an end all. Its just being forced down our throats that way

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Yep,,, expected that kind of response from someone who pushes pencils. It not about doing what we want when we want. The methods cannot cover all scenarios. If I feel unsafe going behind, then I am going to look out for myself and do it the safe way. Ive done this long enough to know that the methods arent an end all. Its just being forced down our throats that way

Just proves my point...

rod

Retired 22 years
I prefer to dangle from the driver side door handle if I can 1-arm the package.

The old sleeve caught on the door latch trick. When I first started UPS I barely weighed enough to rip the shirt. I remember hanging helplessly there as it slowly ripped. By the time I retired I would hardly notice that I had been caught.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
The old sleeve caught on the door latch trick. When I first started UPS I barely weighed enough to rip the shirt. I remember hanging helplessly there as it slowly ripped. By the time I retired I would hardly notice that I had been caught.

I'm just tall enough to hang the gear shift up in my shorts and struggle to get away like a cartoon animal.

Griff

Just proves my point...

You have no point. Everyone in the company with any intelligence sees the "safety program" for what it is. A fraudulent system designed by corporate attorneys and insurance professionals to protect the company "shield" as you guys call it and place blame on hourly employees. There isn't a better example of the level of fraud and deception involved with the safety program at UPS than their slogan they use "Accidents don't just happen!".

accident
a : an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance
b : lack of intention or necessity

Just because you instruct someone not to slip on ice doesn't relieve or exonerate you from your fiscal, ethical and moral responsibility as a Fortune 50 company with wealth and resources beyond most levels of comprehension to care for your employee. It amazes me that these white collar criminal executives can actually find Americans to be operations managers and follow despicable orders against other people for a paycheck. Getting people to do their dirty work for pennies on their dollar -- unbelievable.

Last edited:

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I normally just drove across the street, parked facing the wrong direction and exited the drivers door. Now I suppose you are going to tell me there was something wrong with that.

I do the same thing. I put on my hazards. I don't care what it looks like to the neighbors, or if it is illegal. It's safe. And you'll never end up like a squirrel.

I was told that, if hit while parked in this position, not only would the company charge me with an avoidable accident, it is illegal and I would be held responsible for any damage or injuries resulting from a collision with my vehicle.

tourists24

You have no point. Everyone in the company with any intelligence sees the "safety program" for what it is. A fraudulent system designed by corporate attorneys and insurance professionals to protect the company "shield" as you guys call it and place blame on hourly employees. There isn't a better example of the level of fraud and deception involved with the safety program at UPS than their slogan they use "Accidents don't just happen!".

accident
a : an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance
b : lack of intention or necessity
Holy cow Griff.... awesome way to put it.... atta boy.... although the company man is so blind they actually believe that just because it is stated, then it is so

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Now for the other part. In my district we have had 3 UPS employees hit while crossing in front of the UPS truck..we have never had a UPS vehicle hit in the rear while the UPS driver was standing there waiting to cross the street ----- EVER.

The fact that they got hit had nothing to do with being in front of the package car, and everything to do with the fact that they failed to look both ways before crossing the street.

If I am crossing behind the package car, then the only way for me to see oncoming traffic in the opposite lane is to go to the drivers side and peek around the corner of the car. At that moment, my back is turned away from the cars that are approaching in my lane and I have no protection whatsoever. If one of them veers into the rear of the package car I am going to get squashed.

If I cross in front of the car, I still have to peek around the corner....but I have a 5000 lb shield sitting between me and the approaching traffic.

In either case I still have to look both ways before crossing the street, which is something I learned to do in first grade.

iowa boy

The fact that they got hit had nothing to do with being in front of the package car, and everything to do with the fact that they failed to look both ways before crossing the street.

If I am crossing behind the package car, then the only way for me to see oncoming traffic in the opposite lane is to go to the drivers side and peek around the corner of the car. At that moment, my back is turned away from the cars that are approaching in my lane and I have no protection whatsoever. If one of them veers into the rear of the package car I am going to get squashed.

If I cross in front of the car, I still have to peek around the corner....but I have a 5000 lb shield sitting between me and the approaching traffic.

In either case I still have to look both ways before crossing the street, which is something I learned to do in first grade.

If only UPS could figure out what common sense is....

CharleyHustle

If I go around the front and the truck gets hit from either direction, its my fault. If I go around the back and the truck gets hit from either direction, its my fault.

Most times, if its a busy road and the delivery is on the drivers side of the road (sometimes even passenger side) I put the 4ways on, wait for traffic to clear then back into the driveway. Not the methods, but safer than crossing the road.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If I go around the front and the truck gets hit from either direction, its my fault. If I go around the back and the truck gets hit from either direction, its my fault.

Most times, if its a busy road and the delivery is on the drivers side of the road (sometimes even passenger side) I put the 4ways on, wait for traffic to clear then back into the driveway. Not the methods, but safer than crossing the road.

As drivers, we have to make our decisions in real time and in the real world.

Those decisions will be second-guessed by management people who employ 20/20 hindsight from behind a desk. So you are correct when you say that no matter which choice you make, it will be wrong.

In a situation like this, I have no concern whatsoever with the concept of "fault" and every concern with the concept of not getting squashed between my back bumper and the front of the car that rear-ends me.

packageguy

The only problem with this is the Teamsters don't seem to have a lot of common sense right now either.:wink2:

I'm sick of hearing the teamsters have no common sense , or they are weak, blah blah blah. We are the teamsters if we all stick together things would be different. All those guys caling supe on there cellphones for the day off, or cutting deals must stop. WE ALL HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER.