This ones for all you Guys and Gals who like to BEAT ORION

upschuck

Once the kinks are worked out and the system upgraded to include shuffling of EDD throughout the day it will be much more user friendly.
One would think that management would work the kinks out before a nationwide rollout. A test center to honestly see if this thing works as designed when fully implemented, and correct what is needed. Instead, they roll out a seriously flawed program, that most all in centers know doesn't work as intended, and tries to get numbers that who knows who feels is important, so they can say it is successful.

OPTION3

Once the kinks are worked out and the system upgraded to include shuffling of EDD throughout the day it will be much more user friendly.
EDD was supposed to fix EVERYTHING……Same idiots that implemented EDD are introducing ORION to our building……definition of insanity……doing the same STUPID thing over and over again…and expecting different results

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Dave, you have yet to experience ORION. ORION order now is not set up until the pre-load is finished, and is then set in stone. Once the "kinks" are worked out and the system is able to re-arrange your stops after leaving the original order, it will not be any better. You still will be jumping from shelf to shelf.

If, and this is a big if, your center is allowed to set your DOL's up on every route properly, and if (another big one) you dispatch supe is not a total idiot with about 500 rolling plans for every route, it may just work in the BOG. All I can say is, "good luck."

BTW, ORION has nothing to do with making the job easier for new hires (scabs). Just like PAS/EDD, it is only aimed at manpower reduction.

I have been on orion for a week now I have worked 11 hrs but one my miles are up as high as my stop count now my question is why all of these years my stop count stayed around 95 to a 100 on a rural route but now since I have " orion" I can mysteriously carry 125 and of course bring my miles down at the same time

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Orion is fairytale non-real world until they fix it. After PCM this morning I looked at that orion computer for the first time. It had me taking lunch at 11:30. I start at 8:40 and contractually my lunch starts between the 4th and 5th hour. Next...it had me getting to my pickups 32 minutes late. Finally there was no allowance for my 2 10 minute breaks in their calculations of where i would be when...The lunch location it had me at was a residence 7 miles from the nearest place i could take a lunch. Add all that with the fact you get zero mileage for on demand pickups and what do you get Orion? Oh yeah. A big plate of FAIL.

Dr.Brownz

Currently my relatively small center does not have Orion or EDD. How large does a center have to get to even get EDD? We have 30~ drivers delivering a town of 30,000 with outlying areas that add another 20,000 people.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

EDD was supposed to fix EVERYTHING……Same idiots that implemented EDD are introducing ORION to our building……definition of insanity……doing the same STUPID thing over and over again…and expecting different results

My EDD is set-up 95% or more on trace. My cover drivers always comment that it is one of the easier ones to follow in the center. Our PDS has told us that success with Orion will depend in large part on how well the DOL is set up.

oldngray

nowhere special
My EDD is set-up 95% or more on trace. My cover drivers always comment that it is one of the easier ones to follow in the center. Our PDS has told us that success with Orion will depend in large part on how well the DOL is set up.

Apparently you don't have a PDS that does pocket dispatch from other loops (different almost every day) to meet that stops per car metric.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It might be an improvement o
Then I am in trouble. Trace is horrific in spots.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The kinks will never be worked out and the system will ultimately fail because we do not have the kind of management structure that is needed to make it work.

Working the kinks out of a system like ORION will require attributes like patience, thoughtfulness, teamwork, open-mindedness, honesty and a completely holistic approach to problem solving.

We are UPS and we dont do those things. Our management energies are focused entirely on (a) chasing arbitrary numbers and (b) assigning blame for failures. When we implement new programs we do it half assed and on the cheap, and if it doesnt work we just pretend that it works instead of stepping back and taking an honest and thoughtful look at the situation.

I dont doubt that ORION could, in theory at least, be set up in a manner that would be an improvement over what we have now. We simply lack the management culture to make that happen.

Rico

There is the accounting side too. If Orion fails, instead of being able to capitalize the cost and write it down over Orion's life span, all the costs associated with it would have to be expensed all at once. A huge hit to the financials that would have the shareholders screaming for management blood.

oldngray

nowhere special
There is the accounting side too. If Orion fails, instead of being able to capitalize the cost and write it down over Orion's life span, all the costs associated with it would have to be expensed all at once. A huge hit to the financials that would have the shareholders screaming for management blood.

Exactly. UPS can't admit ORION is a failure. No matter how bad it is.

FilingBluesFL

The lunch location it had me at was a residence 7 miles from the nearest place i could take a lunch.

I was told to park the truck and walk to lunch.

I'm on the rural route Monday.

I think I might just work exactly as instructed, no matter how long it takes.

Walk to lunch, Punch out for lunch, then walk back to the package car.

40 stops to freedom

Orion does some funny stuff when it can't figure out where to put a stop. I had a 10:30 air set as the last stop of the day. On another route it wanted me to leave a street after finishing one side to go 3 miles over to do one stop and then come back and finish the other side. Never mind that I have pickups on both sides of that stop later in the day.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Orion does some funny stuff when it can't figure out where to put a stop. I had a 10:30 air set as the last stop of the day. On another route it wanted me to leave a street after finishing one side to go 3 miles over to do one stop and then come back and finish the other side. Never mind that I have pickups on both sides of that stop later in the day.
I'm just glad I'm recently retired. I hate to think of what will happen in my old center when this Orion nonsense is applied. Another one of upper managements half baked ideas! Common sense be damned and full speed ahead!