this peak

sosocal

very uneasy feeling this year's peak - planned at "flat to last year" - resulting in "resource nuetral".....should I be concerned that I am already running their peak day projections???????????????????? hold on tight for this one!!!!!!!!!!!!:knockedout:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
very uneasy feeling this year's peak - planned at "flat to last year" - resulting in "resource nuetral".....should I be concerned that I am already running their peak day projections???????????????????? hold on tight for this one!!!!!!!!!!!!:knockedout:

Davis in the paper a few weeks ago predicting peak volume up 7.5% over last year. Apparently he never told the Centers. We are getting blasted also.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

We have already exceded the volume for last years peak day!! Lots of overtime this year/ This will be the first peak that I have had to keep an eye on my DOT hours of service!!!!

tarbar66

Maybe volume is up because customers Friday volume plus Cyber Monday volume hit the system. Are the hub's advancing volume already?

I'm glad I'm retired!

We were at 2.2 million yesterday, as discussed far above projected numbers. Apparently there`s this new thing called Christmas and people send and receive packages this time of year. Maybe if it occurs again next year they`ll listen to the dept management and bring in a more appropriate number of seasonal drivers and other personnel.

Hopefully whatever desk jockey that blew this one gets a foot in the ass for his holiday bonus.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
We lost 4 package drivers during the year, and they were not replaced. We lost the best damn OMS guy on the preload, because they would not let him go to driving. Now they center is paying for it- First week of peak, and they center may lose 4 drivers to DOT hours on Friday. Plus the fact I have to stand around for an hour waiting on volume to make it back to the center, so I can move it to the hub. Not a pretty picture.

fethrs

Heavy volume at my hub also. Seems like mgt wasn't prepared and sort wasn't done some days until after 9. Feels like peak used to, last year wasn't like this.

26,000 smalls on Tues and that doesn't include the ones manually processed.

Have over 40 hrs for the week and it's not even friday yet.

Heavy volume at my hub also. Seems like mgt wasn't prepared and sort wasn't done some days until after 9. Feels like peak used to, last year wasn't like this.

26,000 smalls on Tues and that doesn't include the ones manually processed.

Have over 40 hrs for the week and it's not even friday yet.
45 and a half hours
as of Thursday and it's only the first week.

sosocal

We were at 2.2 million yesterday, as discussed far above projected numbers. Apparently there`s this new thing called Christmas and people send and receive packages this time of year. Maybe if it occurs again next year they`ll listen to the dept management and bring in a more appropriate number of seasonal drivers and other personnel.

Hopefully whatever desk jockey that blew this one gets a foot in the ass for his holiday bonus.

SO true...I do recall bringing up many "concerns" during the peak planning call--cube, cars, drivers, volume availability....Why is that I feel it will be my pain when if we roll????...I was "assured" volume would be the same as last year....just run the same plan.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS drivers have lost lots of time per package over the last year or two...so there is no need to hire huge additional package car drivers and such, everybody should be able to pick up the slack with both helpers and the edd system in full effect. This is managements new idea of planning for peak and for the other 10 months of the year. In future years when volume growns the allowance will be cut again, and again in order to be able to "do" more with less. Everybody knows this is how things are looked at around here...if theres an issue cut more allowance..I think its a good solid business plan!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS drivers have lost lots of time per package over the last year or two...so there is no need to hire huge additional package car drivers and such, everybody should be able to pick up the slack with both helpers and the edd system in full effect. This is managements new idea of planning for peak and for the other 10 months of the year. In future years when volume growns the allowance will be cut again, and again in order to be able to "do" more with less. Everybody knows this is how things are looked at around here...if theres an issue cut more allowance..I think its a good solid business plan!!!

There is a future for you in I.E. :wink2:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I was told by our DM that we will be a test center coming soon for keyless doors and ignition in all vehicles. Appaerantly there will be some sort of wristband that is programmed to work with new sensors installed on the vehicles that will start the car and open or unlock the doors. He also said they will be able to add 2 stops per car and shave off .17 of allowance off every driver. Sounds like more work with less people to me!! And with all technology, there will be lots of headaches!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FedEx Express has those and they love them. No fumbling for keys or worrying about frozen locks. 2 stops per car does not sound unreasonable with the time saved.

As with any new technology there will be glitches at first.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Volume is way UP!!!!! At my center, on Tuesday we got hit harder then I remember all of last X-mas. Are trucks were all at capacity and we had two meet points that day. First was for late air, second was with Chocolate Thunder for your over flow packages that would not fit in the morning. Things got a little better by weeks end due to the rentals showing up. What I don't understand is that on Monday we had 8 rental tractors and ZERO rental trucks. So it was as if they saw more volume but figured we would just put the stuff on the roofs.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was told by our DM that we will be a test center coming soon for keyless doors and ignition in all vehicles. Appaerantly there will be some sort of wristband that is programmed to work with new sensors installed on the vehicles that will start the car and open or unlock the doors. He also said they will be able to add 2 stops per car and shave off .17 of allowance off every driver. Sounds like more work with less people to me!! And with all technology, there will be lots of headaches!!

wait til you get your new shock collars