This pisses me off a whole lot....

filthpig

When your spouse "volunteers" you to move a table or some crap like that on your day off. All because I happen to own a pickup. With no A/C. It's not like that's what I spent 55 hrs doing this week. Sorry. Had to vent.
By the way, I said "Hell no!"

upsdude

You just need to sit her down and explain the way things are going to be. Tell her you wear the pants and her job is to make sure you’re happy and fed. I think once you firmly counsel her, she’ll understand.

Or

Just jump off most any tall bridge or building, the outcome should be the same.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
How about this: Your leaving for the lake for the weekend. She goes to visit her nephew in the morning but says she will be back by noon. She shows up late on purpose, but has the courtesy to call ahead and suggest that you can speed things up by doing all the work so you can still leave on time.

dillweed

What's the matter with you??
Go move the damned table and be done with it. Be glad you're married to the kind of woman who thinks of others and their needs.

Who wears the pants? Well who scrubs the racing stripes out of those tighty whities so you can show up in your browns without brown underpants?

Who hears the same whining day after day about how hard you work and on and on and blah-dee-blah while cooking you a fine dinner and wondering when she'll have time to scrub those undies?

You guys are nasty, just plain nasty. I have one of your kind here at home and, although I think he's a champ, I get downright pissed when he refuses to do what I want. Heck, that's why I got married in the first place, so I'd have someone to do what I wanted.

So get off your arse, move the table with a smile, offer to take your princess out to dinner afterward and be glad she doesn't use those stained whities to hang you from the basement rafters. :laughing:

OMG I hope you all take this with a sense of humor or I'm as good as roadkill. :anxious:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When your spouse "volunteers" you to move a table or some crap like that on your day off. All because I happen to own a pickup. With no A/C. It's not like that's what I spent 55 hrs doing this week. Sorry. Had to vent.

I would think that your spouse would reward you with "perks" that you would not normally receive if asked to do the same at work so I think moving a table would not be such a bad thing, IMO.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Buy a sticker for your truck that says no I will not help you move.
I hate being volunteered for things. But I usually offer if I have time. But lately I dont, so heres the keys, knock yourself out.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think the key to Filthpig's complaint is that he was "volunteered" without being in on the original decision. I like to help people, it makes me feel good. But I want to do it on MY SCHEDULE.

My dad was in the furniture/appliance business with his older brother. I used to go on service calls with him as a little kid and later on when I got bigger, sometimes I helped deliver furniture on several occasions. I hated carrying furniture, I didn't want to take over the store and get into that business later on. I think about this every time I deliver a Pottery Barn, Sleep Number Bed, or Sauder desk or bookcase.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nobody ever has "one" thing to move. Usually the little couch turns out to be a 300 pound hide-a-bed that goes up a flight of stairs and around a 180 degree corner. How about volunteering the little woman to watch your buddies kids while you and him go fishing. See how that flies.:wink2:

bellesotico

BOXstar

Great place to vent :)

"Volunteering" your spouse without their consent is a pretty inconsiderate move, and definitely worth discussion...when the blood pressure goes down a bit though :) While they may be overstepping some boundaries, it can also be said that unless they work for UPS, they could not begin to understand why the thought of moving boxes, furniture, heavy lifting, driving distances, etc..is unappealing at best.

Now that I think about it....I probably would have said hell no too. :)

dillweed

Good point about "being volunteered" for the job. Twenty-one years of marriage and I've heard "hell no" many times. I'm the soft hearted one who always wants to rescue others and sometimes get into situations I shouldn't. Through the years I've learned to ask first but still get the "hell no". :dissapointed:

Like everyone, we get these goofy invitations for a free dinner and gift if we listen to a sales pitch and the free carpet shampoo demonstration. I used to fall for them and oh, what a fit he'd have. I was once offered a free box of Tide if we'd let them demonstrate a carpet cleaner. Spouse was totally disgusted when I told him that he was required to watch it also. When the man showed up for the deal my husband went out and asked for the Tide. He grabbed it over the fence then told the man to NOT EVEN get the machine out of the car because he wasn't going to look at it. OMG, the look on that man's face as he got into his car and left. I was embarrased and ready to let him have it but humor got 'hold of me first and I laughed so hard it hurt.

I also caved in to a visit from an insurance weasel. Husband met him half way up the walk, had a few words with him then we both watched as the poor guy got back into his car and left. I was read the riot act after that one.

Not to be discouraged, I signed up for a deal to walk through a warehouse of some sort where you paid a membership fee and then got merchandise at bargain prices. And Wow, they sent a key that just might fit a brand new truck. Had to go to the ordeal to try the key. Well.... we tagged along in back of the herd, not wanting to join, just wanting the truck. At the end they got up and asked if everyone was excited and ready to join. Was there anyone who couldn't pass up such a good deal??? Of course my husband spoke right up and said he didn't want to join. Everyone turned to look at us. They then asked us to go into an office for a "private" sales pitch where husband had the chance to tell him what he thought of their high pressure sales pitch. Stormed out of the office with me in tow, threw the key at the truck and hollared "there's not one G Dmd key that's gonna fit that truck" and out the door we went' I was doubled over laughing all the way across the parking lot and haven't signed up for anything since.

Sorry to veer the thread off course but it got me thinking and laughing again. So I admit that we shouldn't volunteer anyone for anything until we've checked with them first. :wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Dill...your mention of sales presentations made me recall that as young marrieds we used to do that all the time.

When we lived in Utah, there was always time share vacation sales going on. We got free luggage, TV, cookware, etc. We would take our 3 kids too (all toddlers at the time)

We totally hated the idea about the time shares, so it was very easy to sit and listen to a demo and say "no" repeatedly. Our vacation was the actual getaway to the sales pitch.....free accomodations, free eats, free activities. With the 3 kids, they were glad to give us the gifts and happy to send us on our way.

Those were the good old days!

Good point about "being volunteered" for the job. Twenty-one years of marriage and I've heard "hell no" many times. I'm the soft hearted one who always wants to rescue others and sometimes get into situations I shouldn't. Through the years I've learned to ask first but still get the "hell no". :dissapointed:

Got any more? Those were great. Had me smiling the whole time.