This Rant Brought To You By...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Much like everything managment does in our building, no follow through. I wouldn't sweat it, just keep doing the same thing you do everyday, let them come to you and have your steward with you if they finally decide to do something. Grieve it and forget about it. All of this of course is after you get back from vacation.
The funny thing about this is, mgmt in my building will wait till all of the regular Stewards are gone and hit you with a WL when you get back, using the mechanic as a Shop Steward. The mechanic is NOT a driver's Shop Steward, and I don't even know if he's a Steward at all. Besides, MY Steward, knows what is going on with MY case, whereas, the mechanic, hasn't a clue. Apologies to the mechanics reading this, because I'm not intending to talk down about this mechanic. I'm just saying that aside from working on our pkg cars, the mechanic has nothing to do with the drivers, and visa versa.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sounds like something they would do. What has kept me out of trouble all these years is the fact that they know that they can't use some BS like that on me. I generally don't talk to any management, come in and do my job, and then head home. If there are ever any issues, the first question out of my mouth is "Will this lead to any disciplinary actions? If so I'd like to have (insert stewards name here) in accordance with my Weingarten rights. More times then not they just brush it off and say they'll get back with me. I've only had to use my steward a handful of times and being halfway knowledgeable about the contract myself, they go after a slower gazelle that would be easier to muscle around. Arming myself with knowledge of the contract book or having it handy usually deters them as well.

UPSGUY72

Lol, did they ask you if you did a pretrip?

I called in a flat front tire one day, and they said, "Didn't you do a pretrip?"

"Yeah, I pretripped and then drove 25 miles down the highway with a front flat"

I did a pre trip they just put some brand new tires on the front. There was a roofing nail in it. I made sure I took pictures of the nail in the tire and the sidewall after the mechanic told me to tell the tire guy that they need to have the tire and rim brought back to the building today. Nothing like CYA.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sounds like something they would do. What has kept me out of trouble all these years is the fact that they know that they can't use some BS like that on me. I generally don't talk to any management, come in and do my job, and then head home. If there are ever any issues, the first question out of my mouth is "Will this lead to any disciplinary actions? If so I'd like to have (insert stewards name here) in accordance with my Weingarten rights. More times then not they just brush it off and say they'll get back with me. I've only had to use my steward a handful of times and being halfway knowledgeable about the contract myself, they go after a slower gazelle that would be easier to muscle around. Arming myself with knowledge of the contract book or having it handy usually deters them as well.

Good one!

slantnosechevy

The funny thing about this is, mgmt in my building will wait till all of the regular Stewards are gone and hit you with a WL when you get back, using the mechanic as a Shop Steward. The mechanic is NOT a driver's Shop Steward, and I don't even know if he's a Steward at all. Besides, MY Steward, knows what is going on with MY case, whereas, the mechanic, hasn't a clue. Apologies to the mechanics reading this, because I'm not intending to talk down about this mechanic. I'm just saying that aside from working on our pkg cars, the mechanic has nothing to do with the drivers, and visa versa.

Mechanics, clerks, porters, drivers or any other hourly they can sucker to sit in on disapline doesn't count. Stewards MUST BE PRESENT for any disaplinary action.....PERIOD !! Just another example of UPS throwing **** on the wall and hoping it will stick.

Last edited by a moderator:

UnconTROLLed

perfection

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, all due respect Steve. At least here, the Mechanics are not the same union and you do not have to participate in any 'discipline meeting' without a TEAMSTERS local union rep. lol

Last edited:

browndevil

Okay, so now what??? I have not been given the WL, and I'm on vacation through the next week. Does that mean they lost the chance?

I'm pretty sure mgmt has 10 days to send a warning letter. The clock starts after you and your steward were brought into the office to disuss the complaint. Best of luck to you and happy vacation!