This remind you of anyone?

bbsam

Staff member
Overflowed--

With all the inequality in the country and people shut out of opportunity and the best we can do is be upset that some people with money like to act like spoiled :censored2:-bags? And they get pissed at me for pointing out the shallowness of their objections? Yeah, I'm more than ok with that.

bbsam

Staff member
And if it helps put things in perspective, Americans in general are viewed as the ungracious self serving d-bags to the rest of the world. We are their Fred S.

vantexan

Overflowed--

With all the inequality in the country and people shut out of opportunity and the best we can do is be upset that some people with money like to act like spoiled :censored2:-bags? And they get pissed at me for pointing out the shallowness of their objections? Yeah, I'm more than ok with that.

​Then take a stand and pay your people better!

sjh

Overflowed--

FYI: I don't get pissed. I thought I was talking with an equal, then I realized you're one of those cocky elite and you lost my interest.

Who do you think is helming the inequality? The inequality and the spoiled-:censored2: bags go hand in hand. Or didn't you see the whole video? Be spoiled, but don't be a :censored2: bag. Be rich, but be generous also. If you want to make it sound petty, sure, go ahead, that's your prerogative. From your position of "apparent" power and money, it probably feels petty.

bbsam

Staff member
Wow, sjh. I thin your heart's in the right place, but I think you miss the far more important point. It seems to me that you suggest that it's ok for the game to be rigged, just be gracious about it. I don't see as it makes a difference. Maybe it's because people love to hate the elitist pigs. Maybe they get some kind of ego stroke not being one of "them". But who do they race to see on reality TV? And maybe the rigged game isn't the issue. Every society has its elites. In that respect, I do find it all very, very petty. The number of folks I run into on a yearly basis who would fit that description is pretty small. Of course, if I do run into such people it's pretty easy not to run into them again. I'll leave the courtesy policing to others and go onliving my very simple life instead.

Hate 150lb Packages

yep!, with the emphasis being on "used to".....Ain't karma a beetch!!!
I highly doubt that karma, if such a cosmic force even exists, cares about Steve's sense of elitism. His did not get pancreatic cancer because he parked in two spots. There are millions of elitist people who live fabulous lives, and millions who don't. There is no such thing as karma. Everything is random chance.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I highly doubt that karma, if such a cosmic force even exists, cares about Steve's sense of elitism. His did not get pancreatic cancer because he parked in two spots.
No doubt, but I do believe that the '2 parking spots' anecdote was probably not a one-off thing. As I understand, he was regarded to be more than just a bit of a jerk by his people. I'm one who does believe that there are rewards and consequences for the way we treat people in life - whether they manifest themselves in our own lifetimes or the here after. But that's just me. As bbsam said - everybody dies. And death is the great equalizer. Steve's (and Fred's) great wealth isn't going to get either of them any closer to that gate than the rest of us poor slobs.

sjh

Wow, sjh. I thin your heart's in the right place, but I think you miss the far more important point. It seems to me that you suggest that it's ok for the game to be rigged, just be gracious about it. I don't see as it makes a difference. Maybe it's because people love to hate the elitist pigs. Maybe they get some kind of ego stroke not being one of "them". But who do they race to see on reality TV? And maybe the rigged game isn't the issue. Every society has its elites. In that respect, I do find it all very, very petty. The number of folks I run into on a yearly basis who would fit that description is pretty small. Of course, if I do run into such people it's pretty easy not to run into them again. I'll leave the courtesy policing to others and go onliving my very simple life instead.

I see your point, but obviously your definition of elite differs from mine. You find it all petty, but I came from nothing so tend to empathize with the underdog a bit more. To each his own, though, right? Thanks for the chat.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Although I'm sure Fred would like to believe otherwise.
oh I'm certain he probably does too...all I can say is, I hope he's enjoying it while it lasts, as he ain't looking all that great these days. He may have more wealth than he'll ever know what to do with, but I think he's basically a miserable old dried up turd.

Ricochet1a

I highly doubt that karma, if such a cosmic force even exists, cares about Steve's sense of elitism. His did not get pancreatic cancer because he parked in two spots. There are millions of elitist people who live fabulous lives, and millions who don't. There is no such thing as karma. Everything is random chance.

It all depends on how wants to define the scope/cause of Karma.

I do believe it exists - but NOT in any spiritual or metaphysical sense.

I think what most people attribute to Karma, is really a reflection of how an individual impacts those around him or her - then receives treatment in return. THEN, the expectation of receiving favorable or unfavorable treatment in life can have a further affect on one's health and outlook on life. Success breeds success, failure tends to breed failure...

For example. One goes to the grocery store and is an ass to the checker. When the customer isn't looking, the checker drops a 3 pound can on top of the loaf of bread in the bottom of the bag. Another customer shows some respect to this casher, when this customer is distracted, the cashier takes the time to get another bag to put the 3 pound can into and moves the bag with the loaf of bread off to the side. Is there some metaphysical force at work???

People create their own 'Karma'. A favor gets a favor in return, respect receives respect in return and good things happen to people who do good things for other people. Some call it, "making your own luck", or the "Golden Rule" - but how one interacts with those around oneself tends to create reciprocal treatment in return.

When people use the term "Karma" they tend to be referring to some unknown entity or force either doing good or harm to someone as a result of that person's actions, which cannot be explained by mundane means. It really isn't that complicated. There are people who naturally will attract favorable attention and action from others, and others who will garner unfavorable action.

Now... whether Karma can create a physical response in someone. (Did Steve Jobs get pancreatic cancer as a result of bad Karma)??

It is known that stress will create very real physical manifestations in someone if it is left unchecked for a prolonged period of time. Steve Jobs was a brilliant marketer and an absolute ass from all accounts (he knew he was an ass). Did his being an ass to everyone around him cause him to fear being screwed by those same people to the extent where his stress level was so elevated, his immune system couldn't function correctly and he developed pancreatic cancer as a result of prolonged stress?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It all depends on how wants to define the scope/cause of Karma.

I do believe it exists - but NOT in any spiritual or metaphysical sense.

I think what most people attribute to Karma, is really a reflection of how an individual impacts those around him or her - then receives treatment in return. THEN, the expectation of receiving favorable or unfavorable treatment in life can have a further affect on one's health and outlook on life. Success breeds success, failure tends to breed failure...

For example. One goes to the grocery store and is an ass to the checker. When the customer isn't looking, the checker drops a 3 pound can on top of the loaf of bread in the bottom of the bag. Another customer shows some respect to this casher, when this customer is distracted, the cashier takes the time to get another bag to put the 3 pound can into and moves the bag with the loaf of bread off to the side. Is there some metaphysical force at work???

People create their own 'Karma'. A favor gets a favor in return, respect receives respect in return and good things happen to people who do good things for other people. Some call it, "making your own luck", or the "Golden Rule" - but how one interacts with those around oneself tends to create reciprocal treatment in return.

When people use the term "Karma" they tend to be referring to some unknown entity or force either doing good or harm to someone as a result of that person's actions, which cannot be explained by mundane means. It really isn't that complicated. There are people who naturally will attract favorable attention and action from others, and others who will garner unfavorable action.

Now... whether Karma can create a physical response in someone. (Did Steve Jobs get pancreatic cancer as a result of bad Karma)??

It is known that stress will create very real physical manifestations in someone if it is left unchecked for a prolonged period of time. Steve Jobs was a brilliant marketer and an absolute ass from all accounts (he knew he was an ass). Did his being an ass to everyone around him cause him to fear being screwed by those same people to the extent where his stress level was so elevated, his immune system couldn't function correctly and he developed pancreatic cancer as a result of prolonged stress?

If Karma truly existed, shouldn't Fred spontaneously combust? Look at his track record. A couple of dead people, directly attributable to his actions, many questionable business practices and associations, and a propensity to spend money toward the continuous screwing of those that work for him. I'll provide the match if he won't ignite, but this is a man who is evil to the core....and he thrives.

Ricochet1a

If Karma truly existed, shouldn't Fred spontaneously combust? Look at his track record. A couple of dead people, directly attributable to his actions, many questionable business practices and associations, and a propensity to spend money toward the continuous screwing of those that work for him. I'll provide the match if he won't ignite, but this is a man who is evil to the core....and he thrives.

Well... with my definition of Karma, the likelihood of SOMEONE facilitating his combustion is much higher than the typical 'Joe' would experience out there. That is another way to look at Karma, a game of odds.

Now, whether or not that happens... but the odds of 'negative Karma' occurring to Fred in that manner are much higher than to the typical individual. This is one reason Fred has 'insurance' against negative Karma (a bodyguard detail, extensive home security, travel entourage, etc...). He's well aware of the potential for negative Karma to visit him - so he takes the appropriate preventive measures...

As far as nothing seemingly 'negative' occurring to Fred so far as a result of bad Karma... well, one has to look at personality of the individual in question.

Steve Jobs (to keep using that example), had a conscience. That little voice inside his head that told him that he was being an 'ass'. Whether his conscience bothered him enough (in regards to his own actions) as to create the physical manifestations of stress (pancreatic cancer), no one knows. I do think it played a role though.

Fred S most likely doesn't have that little voice inside his head telling him that he is screwing people and ought to feel bad about it. Now, he isn't what I'd classify as a sociopath (lacking in any regard to others around oneself), but he has 'dealt with' that little voice to such an extent that he actually feels that he is serving some greater good through his actions. I think that greater good he feels he is serving are the shareholders of FedEx (he being a significant one) along with the little community service stuff he has FedEx undertake (making sure FedEx gets FULL credit and recognition for those activities).

I'm sure Fred read Machiavelli's treatise, "The Prince" and took the lessons to heart. To REALLY summarize the philosophy in this treatise, "an individual in a position of power can justify the use of immoral means to further increase that power". There is an underlying assumption in that work that 'the rules', don't apply to those who find themselves in a position of power, so those in that position shouldn't bother themselves with adhering to 'the rules'. Power is its own justification. This describes Fred rather well.

I do think Fred is narcissistic (egocentric taken to an extreme) and surrounds himself with people who will support that egocentrism. These people (the 'inner party of FedEx', to use an Orwellian theme) know damn well that they would be hard pressed to find employment that pays as much as Fred pays them (given their REAL skill set) - thus their loyalty to Fred. This also explains the gross mismanagement of FedEx - these people are more concerned with serving Fred's egocentrism than possibly incurring his wrath if they were to do something innovative. Hitler's inner circle functioned in the same way. Godwin's Law is thus achieved and proven...

The 'outer party of FedEx' (the salaried Memphoids), also know that they'd be hard pressed to find employment making as much as they do working FOR Fred - thus their loyalty is assured. I think the 'house cleaning' that is taking place in Memphis (people are waiting for their 'departure date') was not only a means to cut personnel expense, but it also served as a means (a relief valve of sorts) for those who weren't entirely on board with the "Gospel according to Fred", to get out. Those who are left (including lower level management across the nation), are FULLY AWARE that they must preach the Gospel according to Fred, or suffer the consequences.

Thus why (as I stated in another thread), FedEx stock has historically been a real dog. The real innovation ended in that company over 10 years ago. If it wasn't for the 'good fortune' of FedEx to come across RPS and acquire it - Fred and his inner party would've been shown the door by the institutional investors some 5 or so years ago. Everyone in the inner party of FedEx is looking to save their income and do what they must to serve the narcissism of Fred - thus why the current conditions exist.

Going back to Godwin's Law - the final year of Hitler saw the same things in those around him - they did what they had to preserve their position. They knew things were a mess, but they also knew that if they crossed a certain line, they'd be a guest of the Gestapo. Fred's minions only have unemployment to look at and not a noose made of piano wire. However, for those who are accustomed to making a quarter of a million a year or more from FedEx, their loyalty to Fred is assured. For the rest, there's the door... hit it at any time.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
And there's still the Weasel Worshipers who still look at FedEx thru rose colored glasses from the 1980's.