This RLA crap made my local newspaper today

FedEX 4 Life

Flipping throught todays paper and low and behold.

Democrats and unions gang up against FedEx

by GEORGE WILL Thursday July 16, 2009, 5:59 AM

How does the Obama administration love organized labor?
Let us count the ways it uses power to repay unions for helping to put it in power.
It has given the United Auto Workers majority ownership of Chrysler.
It has sent $135 billion of supposed stimulus money to state governments to protect unionized public sector employees from layoffs and other sacrifices that private-sector workers are making.
It has sedated the Labor Department's Office of Labor-Management Standards, which protects workers against misbehavior by union leaders.
Cap-and-trade legislation might please unions with protectionism -- tariffs on imports from countries not foolish enough to similarly burden their manufacturers.
If Congress, seeking money for more socialized medicine, decides that some employer-paid health insurance should be taxed as employees' compensation -- which it obviously is -- generous union-negotiated benefits might be exempted.
Now it is the Teamsters' turn at the trough. Congress might change labor law to assist UPS, a Teamsters stronghold, by hindering its principal competitor, FedEx.
At 2 a.m. in Memphis, where FedEx is headquartered, the airport is humming as FedEx sorts and dispatches many of the 3.4 million packages -- 10 million pounds of freight -- it ships daily, mostly with its fleet of 654 aircraft.
Eighty-five percent of FedEx packages go by air; 85 percent of UPS' go only by truck.
This matters because:
The growth of railroads had put America's increasingly integrated economy at the mercy of local strikes.
"Brakemen in Altoona, signalmen in Wichita," says Fred S, could cripple the transportation network.
Smith, FedEx's founder and CEO, says that in 1926 Congress, to protect the arteries of commerce, passed the Railway Labor Act (RLA).
It ensured that any bargaining unit for workers must be systemwide so that no local unit could hold the railroads hostage.
In 1935, the National Labor Relations Act (Wagner Act), which covered everyone except railway workers, allowed organizing and bargaining based on localities.
The path to unionization is steeper under the RLA, which requires a nationwide vote by all workers.
In 1936, airlines were brought under the RLA. FedEx, which began as an air freight company and created the modern express business, is precisely the sort of integrated system for which the RLA was written.
This matters: 53 percent of all U.S. exports by value travel by air, and virtually all priority and express U.S. mail is carried by FedEx.
In 1981, UPS began air services and in the 1990s it tried, legislatively and judicially, to be put under the RLA.
In 1993 UPS said all its operations, "including ground operations," are properly subject to the RLA "because the ground operations are part of the air service."
FedEx supported UPS' efforts, even though the vast majority of UPS parcels never go on an airplane, whereas FedEx's trucking operations exist to feed its air fleet and distribute what it carries.
FedEx characterizes itself as the "world's most effective airline" and UPS as "a 100-year old trucking company."
FedEx, Smith insists, is not anti-union; its pilots are unionized. He says that the pay and benefits for its drivers are, on average, higher than those of UPS drivers, and that new FedEx drivers must wait only three months to be eligible for benefits whereas UPS drivers must wait a year.
Nevertheless, today's Democratic majority in Congress, with UPS now aligned with the Teamsters, wants to put FedEx's ground pickup and delivery operations under the NLRA, thereby making FedEx's entire integrated system susceptible to disruption by local disputes.
"Bailout" is now both a noun and a verb, and FedEx characterizes what Congress might do for UPS as the "Brown Bailout."
But properly used, "bailout" denotes a rescue of an economic entity from financial distress.
Although UPS is suffering from the recession, so is FedEx.
Furthermore, UPS, whose revenue is 36 percent more than FedEx's, began advocating this injury to FedEx long before this recession.
What UPS is doing is called rent-seeking -- bending public power for private advantage by hindering a competitor.
This practice, which expands exponentially as government expands arithmetically, is banal but can have entertaining ricochets:
If Congress makes FedEx's operations more precarious by changing the law to make it easier for local disputes to cripple its operations, Smith says a multibillion-dollar order for 15 Boeing 777s will be automatically canceled.
One of the unions lobbying on behalf of UPS and the Teamsters is the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, whose members make 777s.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
UPS is union and the world didn't end when they went on strike. If FedEx goes union and we go on strike, it's not going to end then either. It's just another scare tactic by FedEx to try and keep from paying us a decent wage....it's all about the money. Only fools believe the FedEx hyperbole.

FedEx Freight and FedEx LTL are under the auspices of the NLRA and neither are union. How come? Because Fred has no special deal like the RLA exemption protecting him at these two companies, he actually has to pay their employees decent wages. Imagine that. Once they figure out that they are going to get screwed on their pensions too that will change and most FedEx operating divisions will go union. In my area of the country, the starting wages for FedEx Freight and FedEx LTL are around $22 per hour. That's about $5 per hr higher than a new RTD and 7-8 bucks an hour more than a new courier.

As they say, you get what you pay for, and in Fred's case, the payoff for being a miser is a Teamster workforce. If he hadn't been such a cheap greasy weasel things might have been different. Poor little Fred. It's so sad when trust fund babies get their due.

fedex_rtd

So do you live in Washington DC, or Memphis?? I read this garbage on the FedEx corporate web site today at work. As an hourly employee I can see through some of the smoke and mirrors of this op piece.

First off he talks about the UAW. What does that have to do with FedEx, UPS or the RLA? Nothing other than the fact that they are a labor organization, and furthermore he tries to blame them for Chrysler's second failure. Sorry that failure sounds like a management issue to me.

Second, he tries to make it sound like if the RLA wording passes the Senate, the following day FedEx will come to a crashing stop. This is almost sounding like I am listening to a FedEx manager here.....Bluff, Lie, Threaten, and Intimidate. Sorry buddy I don't buy it, Fred said the same thing would happen if the pilots got their union, and nothing bad happened, and some really good stuff has happened for the pilots.

FedEx has nothing to fear about. Why would an employee want to add another level of management to their workplace? If I as an hourly employee get a compensation package that is in line with what a feeder driver at UPS earns, and am treated fairly I would not vote in a union. In short this is about money and control. If anything as an RTD I feel I should be paid MORE than a feeder driver. Why? Because I carry dangerous goods on a regular basis, when was the last time you saw a UPS truck or trailer that had a placard on it?

Show me the money, restore my pension, and treat me in an honest and truthful manner, and you will not have to fear the Teamsters or any other union. If the RLA wording becomes law, and you fail to do these things, you SHOULD be afraid, very afraid!

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
Come on, the article is by George Will. If there is anyone that personifies the arch-Conservative, it is he, so naturally it will be biased anti-Democrat, anti-Union, and anti-Working Man. I knew what the article would say before I even read it.

"Flipping throught todays paper and low and behold."

That's not a sentence. I feel compelled to fix it for you.

"I was flipping through today's paper, when lo and behold..."

You're welcome. Ad hominem attacks are my specialty.

tracker2762

fedex-rtd
We don't use the placard system. The haz mat shipping papers are located in the cab in case of emergency. That's why you never seen a UPS package car or feeder with a placard

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
fedex-rtd
We don't use the placard system. The haz mat shipping papers are located in the cab in case of emergency. That's why you never seen a UPS package car or feeder with a placard

You don't have to placard? Our hazmat papers are in the cab too...that's the law. "Communicating the risk" is part of the regs too. Are you telling me that a UPS rig carrying "YellowIII Radioactive" or "Dangerous When Wet" DG doesn't have to show firefighters, police, the DOT etc. that these commodities are on board?

I'm guessing that UPS refuses these categories of DG and accepts the less dangerous (non-placarded) types of haz.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Dear George,

Thaks for the great article you wrote about the communist lefties over at UPS and the Teamsters trying to subvert all that is good and right about America. Fedex loves the USA and all of my employees believe in God, apple pie, and the right of rich businessmen to have special exemptions granted to them in order to keep Lenin and Mao out of capitalism.

Your check for $150,000 is being sent to you via FedEx Overnight Letter, so you'll receive it in about 3 days, give or take a day. The next time I'm in Washington, I'll have you and Mrs.Will over for dinner.

Best Regards,

Frederick W. Smith

FedEx courier

this Brown Bailtout propagnda stuff is working.Spreading like wildfire

Well it may be working on George Will,though he seems very ill informed about this issue? is it working on anybody else? Check this article out

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25027.html

This "brownbailout" is even coming under fire from GOP groups. Though since yesterday the ACU has seperated itself from Keene's endorsment of this letter
http://www.politico.com/static/PPM130_feex_letter.html

"Mr. Smith tear down this website" HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!What will ultimately decide this issue is the lobbying that goes on behind closed doors, this brownbailout campaign seems to be so confusing that it most likely will backfire like it is doing right now.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Mr. Frederick W. Smith
President, Chairman & CEO
FedEx Corp.
July 15, 2009
P.O. Box 727
Memphis, TN 38194
Via USPS Express Mail & Fax​
901-818-7570​
Dear Mr. Smith:
We​
ʼve been on record as opposing federal bailouts of failing businesses because they waste
taxpayer money, reward businesses that are poorly run, skew the marketplace, and are well
outside the proper role of our constitutionally limited government. So when FedEx claimed
that UPS was seeking a government bailout, we were prepared to jump all over another
wasteful government program. But after looking into FedEx
ʼs claims, we realized that FedEx
was not telling the truth. UPS was not seeking any taxpayer funds -- only regulatory reform
that would insure equal treatment of both companies under our nation
ʼs labor laws.
FedEx
ʼs campaign called “Brown Bailout” (www.BrownBailout.com) is designed to capitalize
on public sentiment that is angry that hundreds of billions of dollars have been wasted in the
name of bailouts. But since UPS is not seeking even one dime of taxpayer money, the
campaign is essentially a disinformation campaign and should be stopped.
If FedEx wants to oppose the regulatory reform being sought by UPS, that is fine. But FedEx
should use honest arguments and refrain from disingenuous and dishonest labels.
What FedEx falsely and disingenuously labels a bailout is merely UPS asking that the
government treat both competitors the same. You can oppose this change in the law if you
like, but you cannot honestly call it a bailout. A bailout is when the government gives money
to failing businesses to prop them up in hopes that they will become viable. UPS is not
seeking, nor will it receive any taxpayer money as a result of this regulatory reform.
Additionally, UPS is not a failing company. It is doing quite well despite having to compete in
the economic race while wearing proverbial army boots.
Again, we are not telling you what position to lobby with Congress. But we are asking you to
stop using false and disingenuous labels to make your point. We believe FedEx should take
down the deceitful website and stop misleading the public and legislators. To paraphrase the
words of Ronald Reagan, “Mr. Smith, tear down this website.”
Sincerely,
Malcolm Wallop
U.S. Senator
(ret.)

A​
MERICAN CONSERVATIVE UNION

barnyard

KTM rider
Flipping throught todays paper and low and behold.

Democrats and unions gang up against FedEx

by GEORGE WILL Thursday July 16, 2009, 5:59 AM

lots of snippage
Smith insists, is not anti-union; its pilots are unionized. He says that the pay and benefits for its drivers are, on average, higher than those of UPS drivers, and that new FedEx drivers must wait only three months to be eligible for benefits whereas UPS drivers must wait a year.

I read the editorial in the Star Tribune and the above line was the one that gave me the loudest chuckle.

If FedEx drivers do make more than the majority of UPS drivers, then unionizing would be pointless. There is nothing to gain, you guys already make more than us and have better benefits.

Maybe I should resign and apply to be a FedEx driver.....

TB

Last edited:

Ricochet1a

You don't have to placard? Our hazmat papers are in the cab too...that's the law. "Communicating the risk" is part of the regs too. Are you telling me that a UPS rig carrying "YellowIII Radioactive" or "Dangerous When Wet" DG doesn't have to show firefighters, police, the DOT etc. that these commodities are on board?

I'm guessing that UPS refuses these categories of DG and accepts the less dangerous (non-placarded) types of haz.

This is the prohibited UPS dangerous goods listing:

http://www.ups.com/media/en/prohibited_2007.pdf

The UPS prohibited items just happen to be the types that would require placarding if present in sufficient quantities ( or in any quantity for "dangerous when wet" and Rad III).

Part of the reason for not wanting to ship DG that requires placarding is to prevent people thinking that their shipments of cookies to grandpa aren't riding in a truck side by side with "poison" or other nasty stuff. FedEx accepts this situaton since the revenue is so good with these types of shipments (many are charged a $60 per piece for ADG, $30 per piece for IDG). DG is a BIG revenue center for FedEx, since they are the only express shipper that accepts many of these shipments. In addition, there is a follow-up effect with shippers that ship haz; they tend to ship their non-haz shipments with FedEx too, since they can use a single carrier.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Mr. Frederick W. Smith
President, Chairman & CEO
FedEx Corp.
July 15, 2009
P.O. Box 727
Memphis, TN 38194
Via USPS Express Mail & Fax
901-818-7570
Dear Mr. Smith:
Weʼve been on record as opposing federal bailouts of failing businesses because they waste
taxpayer money, reward businesses that are poorly run, skew the marketplace, and are well
outside the proper role of our constitutionally limited government. So when FedEx claimed
that UPS was seeking a government bailout, we were prepared to jump all over another
wasteful government program. But after looking into FedExʼs claims, we realized that FedEx
was not telling the truth. UPS was not seeking any taxpayer funds -- only regulatory reform
that would insure equal treatment of both companies under our nationʼs labor laws.
FedExʼs campaign called “Brown Bailout” (www.BrownBailout.com) is designed to capitalize
on public sentiment that is angry that hundreds of billions of dollars have been wasted in the
name of bailouts. But since UPS is not seeking even one dime of taxpayer money, the
campaign is essentially a disinformation campaign and should be stopped.
If FedEx wants to oppose the regulatory reform being sought by UPS, that is fine. But FedEx
should use honest arguments and refrain from disingenuous and dishonest labels.
What FedEx falsely and disingenuously labels a bailout is merely UPS asking that the
government treat both competitors the same. You can oppose this change in the law if you
like, but you cannot honestly call it a bailout. A bailout is when the government gives money
to failing businesses to prop them up in hopes that they will become viable. UPS is not
seeking, nor will it receive any taxpayer money as a result of this regulatory reform.
Additionally, UPS is not a failing company. It is doing quite well despite having to compete in
the economic race while wearing proverbial army boots.
Again, we are not telling you what position to lobby with Congress. But we are asking you to
stop using false and disingenuous labels to make your point. We believe FedEx should take
down the deceitful website and stop misleading the public and legislators. To paraphrase the
words of Ronald Reagan, “Mr. Smith, tear down this website.”
Sincerely,
Malcolm Wallop
U.S. Senator
(ret.)

A
MERICAN CONSERVATIVE UNION

Good stuff...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I read the editorial in the Star Tribune and the above line was the one that gave me the loudest chuckle.

If FedEx drivers do make more than the majority of UPS drivers, then unionizing would be pointless. There is nothing to gain, you guys already make more than us and have better benefits.

Maybe I should resign and apply to be a FedEx driver.....

TB

Is there anyone out there who doesn't know now what a lying, stinking, steaming sack of crap Fred S is? Jeesuz, he is a piece of work, isn't he?

Overpaid Union Thug

Poor little Fred. He might actually have to depend on providing superior service to compete with UPS instead of only relying on scaring UPS's customers with rumors of a strike. LOL

FedEx All the Way!

UPS is union and the world didn't end when they went on strike. If FedEx goes union and we go on strike, it's not going to end then either. It's just another scare tactic by FedEx to try and keep from paying us a decent wage....it's all about the money. Only fools believe the FedEx hyperbole.

FedEx Freight and FedEx LTL are under the auspices of the NLRA and neither are union. How come? Because Fred has no special deal like the RLA exemption protecting him at these two companies, he actually has to pay their employees decent wages. Imagine that. Once they figure out that they are going to get screwed on their pensions too that will change and most FedEx operating divisions will go union. In my area of the country, the starting wages for FedEx Freight and FedEx LTL are around $22 per hour. That's about $5 per hr higher than a new RTD and 7-8 bucks an hour more than a new courier.

As they say, you get what you pay for, and in Fred's case, the payoff for being a miser is a Teamster workforce. If he hadn't been such a cheap greasy weasel things might have been different. Poor little Fred. It's so sad when trust fund babies get their due.

The bailout bottom-line is this: What’s the difference between a 100-year-old trucking company and a modern airline that flies packages around the world every night? Answer: everything. Yes, both carry parcels and packages, but how they do it is obviously and vastly different.

UPS’ bailout would shoehorn FedEx Express – an airline created in 1971 focused on next-day delivery of essential goods and documents around the world – into the same operating rules as a 100-year-old trucking company. FedEx Express and other airlines operate just fine under airline regulations, but UPS doesn’t like competition. Keep in mind, UPS chose to form as a separate trucking company for its pickup and delivery operations.

barnyard

KTM rider
. Keep in mind, UPS chose to form as a separate trucking company for its pickup and delivery operations.

Also keep in mind that UPS was formed before there were airlines.

I could actually see an argument for changing UPS' employee status, if you choose to define the work the way that Fed Ex is defining it.

All UPS package employees have to adhere to FAA rules regarding package car security, we all have to have background checks, etc.

TB

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The bailout bottom-line is this: What’s the difference between a 100-year-old trucking company and a modern airline that flies packages around the world every night? Answer: everything. Yes, both carry parcels and packages, but how they do it is obviously and vastly different.

UPS’ bailout would shoehorn FedEx Express – an airline created in 1971 focused on next-day delivery of essential goods and documents around the world – into the same operating rules as a 100-year-old trucking company. FedEx Express and other airlines operate just fine under airline regulations, but UPS doesn’t like competition. Keep in mind, UPS chose to form as a separate trucking company for its pickup and delivery operations.

You didn't even write this...it's a quotation. At least have the integrity to credit the person who wrote it. I know it wasn't you because the grammar and spelling are correct.

That said, you're wrong...as usual. Maybe 100 years ago UPS was a trucking company...they aren't any more. Just like FedEx, they are a SYSTEMS INTEGRATOR. 2 different companies doing the exact same thing with multiple operating divisions offering essentially similar services.

As has been said many times before, your argument will be correct when a FedEx plane rolls up to a residence and the pilot hops out and delivers the package. Until then (never), you are still wrong and a brick of the highest order.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!! How can you be serious? The last time I checked, FedEx flies overnight packages (DUH) and UPS flies overnight packages (WHAT THE HECK??!!). FedEx trucks 2-3 day packages on tractor-trailers, and uumm, get this, UPS trucks their 2-3 day packages on tractor-trailers. Am I and the NON-KEWL-AID drinkers the only ones who see a FREAKING PATTERN?? The last time I checked, I didn't deliver anything with an airplane, (but I gotta admit that would be cool!) I used a truck. The UPS guys do the SAME...hhmm so much to ponder and so little kewl aid to spill

Ricochet1a

OK, OK - so you think I didn't write this - and you think I got all the words spelled right! what else is new?

There's still way more purple blood than than you would believe
Truth... Express couriers, handlers and drivers do not have to be looking over their shoulder - they just need to work and do their usual good job. And you are back on that "disruption" thing - I thought you were taking a vacation from it...
FedEx is an airline which is in much better shape than most and also treats their people much better than most..my blood and that of my husband's is still very purple..:peaceful:

Well, FXATW’s “post” was posted on June 9, 2009 on the following site:

Also on this one (June 11)…

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=333655

Please don’t insult us by stating you are the author of something, when it was posted verbatim over a month ago on other sites. I’m sure it is included within FedEx’s intranet sites also. If you are going to copy and paste someone else’s work, fine. But at least state you are doing so and don’t try to mislead others into thinking that you are doing the thinking (writing).