This Will Be Fun: Bill Maher, Worse Than Glen Beck

wkmac

Reads the headlines at the progressive/left Counterpunch!

Watching Real Time with Bill Maher is a truly painful experience. In just a few tortuous minutes of the program, its hallmarks become clear: an endless barrage of jokes made unabashedly at the expense of the oppressed, justified as critiques of “political correctedness,” is punctuated by mind-numbing expressions of ignorance, thinly veiled behind an air of bombastic righteousness and shameless self-aggrandizement, all situated squarely within a setting of diehard Democrat cheerleading.
Painted as “very liberal,” even as a “leftist” by the mainstream (read: corporate) media and popular culture, the eponymous host has, unfortunately for all of us, come to embody the mainstream (read: corporate) “Left” in this country. This “Left,” however, is not much different than the Right; both share a passion for unmitigated bigotry. Bill Maher is the Democrat’s Glenn Beck. Both pundits fancy themselves comedians (the prevalence with which both laugh at their own jokes evinces that), satirists, armed with jokes as their weapon, laughter as their proselytizer, taking on perceived cultural ills for the betterment of humanity.
The problem is that both do exactly the contrary.
Let us not assume, nonetheless, that equivalence in direction implies equivalence in degree. I firmly hold that Bill Maher brings us further away from achieving true human progress, equality, and liberation than Glenn Beck. I genuinely mean that.

Bill Maher Worse Than Glen Beck

oldngray

nowhere special
Beck steps on toes but mostly attacks the left in general and doesn't make petty vicious personal attacks like Maher does. Both are definitely representatives of right and left but overall Maher comes across as worse as an individual.

pretender

Beck steps on toes but mostly attacks the left in general and doesn't make petty vicious personal attacks like Maher does. Both are definitely representatives of right and left but overall Maher comes across as worse as an individual.

I appreciate comedy and satire, but I never did get Maher...

Upsmule

I could really love this blog....

A great place to begin any analysis of Maher’s numerous prejudices is the poetically-titled blog Bill Maher Sucks. Its collection of criticisms, spanning the last three years (with the bulk of the content from 2012), is unfortunately rather small, and by no means comprehensive, yet it allows one, at the least, to get a feel for the variety and the nature of bigotry we are dealing with here. Bill Maher Sucks’ author writes “Bill Maher is a vile racist, misogynist, Islamophobic, ableist, Zionist, classist idiot.” A more accurate and succinct description could hardly be made. I would add a few more qualifiers: Bill Maher is a narcissistic, vile imperialist, racist, misogynist, Islamophobic, ableist, Zionist, classist idiot millionaire Democrat-apologist, blind to any and all of his privileges. Let us look at examples, from Maher’s own show, from Maher’s own mouth.

804brown

Bill maher is a comedian and beck is a strange little entertainer. Both think they know it all. Both are quite rich. Both try to be outrageous, yet both sneered at OWS. Both are allowed to bloviate on corporate media because the establishment wants them there. Call me when Noam Chomsky gets a show!!