Thought Loaders Is Supposed To load Your Car?

Holydriver

god this company/ YOU GUYS.. are so annoying sometimes ..So what...a driver wants to load his own truck before start time

WHO GIVES A :censored2:!!!

Swear employees annoy me more then the sups some times..seriously..

death..cancer...family.....

some other guy loading his own truck..SOO WHAT!!!!!!!! Its just a stupid job that wont be here for you when you need them. They will fire you in 2 seconds.. Ill never rat an driver out..or give a flying friend what he does. He could come in at 5am off the clock. SO WHAT
Ups is full o some of the most whiny bitches in America you're right

PT Car Washer

I fully agree with her. Non union jobs promoted people by performance and merit whereas union jobs always promote people by seniority. And actually promote mediocrity in a way by saying production can't be a reason for discipline. Look, I see the pros and cons in both union and non union jobs, and the fact is, union jobs are notorious for lazy workers. And there is a reason for that.
Union workers are not lazy but management will use that excuse to get more work out of Union workers. I agree there are a few workers that game the system but they are also the ones always watching their back every minute of everyday. They end up working harder at not working hard then the rest of us do just doing our job.

PT Car Washer

That's hilarious. What you meant to say was favoritism.

At least seniority is fair for all involved.
Even with Union jobs there is still favoritism. The difference being it is sanctioned by both management and the Union. Anyone who has worked a Union job has witnessed this.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
god this company/ YOU GUYS.. are so annoying sometimes ..So what...a driver wants to load his own truck before start time

WHO GIVES A :censored2:!!!

Swear employees annoy me more then the sups some times..seriously..

death..cancer...family.....

some other guy loading his own truck..SOO WHAT!!!!!!!! Its just a stupid job that wont be here for you when you need them. They will fire you in 2 seconds.. Ill never rat an driver out..or give a flying friend what he does. He could come in at 5am off the clock. SO WHAT
Do you go to work because you enjoy cardboard? I doubt it, you go to earn a living. Don't work for free.

Holydriver

if i was an employer and i had johny who worked his ass off, and jimmy who half assed his work i think johny would be my favorite too. and when johny was promoted i guess you could look at it from the favorites angle, id choose the better worker angle.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Because they are runner gunner ass kissers. The boys from the hall were down a few weeks ago. I pointed out that after I dropped my bag in the car and on my way to the rack, I saw 10-12 drivers massaging their loads. They shrugged their shoulders and gave me the "oh well"
Just amazing

No one likes a tattle tell
4373631-1724505708-InwJb.jpg

Holydriver

Union workers are not lazy but management will use that excuse to get more work out of Union workers. I agree there are a few workers that game the system but they are also the ones always watching their back every minute of everyday. They end up working harder at not working hard then the rest of us do just doing our job.
yea, i hear that. union work is typically more physically demanding than non union which in itself requires a less than lazy worker. my point, i guess, is that you can intentionally be less productive than your peers with little fear of losing your job. if everyone had a solid work ethic this wouldnt matter, but not everyone is the same. there are a lot of lazy turds in this toilet we call america

Holydriver

when you were in little league you were the type that supported the "participation trophy" werent you? seniority isnt fair either. if two drivers have been in the company for the same amount of time and one consistently works harder than the other but they are treated as equals simply for time served that is hardly fair

PT Car Washer

yea, i hear that. union work is typically more physically demanding than non union which in itself requires a less than lazy worker. my point, i guess, is that you can intentionally be less productive than your peers with little fear of losing your job. if everyone had a solid work ethic this wouldnt matter, but not everyone is the same. there are a lot of lazy turds in this toilet we call america
I agree with what you are saying. How about that 40 or 50 year old guy that can no longer keep up with the 20 something. Do we just fire him? How about the bosses nephew or son in law who needs a job? I agree a lot of times the Union protects the jobs of workers who should be let go. If you were the one with the target on your back I bet you would think a lot differently.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
if i was an employer and i had johny who worked his ass off, and jimmy who half assed his work i think johny would be my favorite too. and when johny was promoted i guess you could look at it from the favorites angle, id choose the better worker angle.
Well a more relative to the thread comparison would be: Johny works for free off the clock and Jimmy doesn't, Johny gets the promotion. If I was an employer I'd pick sucker johny off the clock worker too. That's what the contract is for.

It's not even a union thing. The Fair Labor Standards Act requires employees receive compensation for time worked. They're not only giving away hard fought for union rights they're giving away their legal rights.

IMO, drivers who work off the clock aren't hard workers. They're either suckers, or they just suck at their job. If you need to set your car up before start time you're probably not very good at your job.

Holydriver

Well a more relative to the thread comparison would be: Johny works for free off the clock and Jimmy doesn't, Johny gets the promotion. If I was an employer I'd pick sucker johny off the clock worker too. That's what the contract is for.

It's not even a union thing. The Fair Labor Standards Act requires employees receive compensation for time worked. They're not only giving away hard fought for union rights they're giving away their legal rights.

IMO, drivers who work off the clock aren't hard workers. They're either suckers, or they just suck at their job. If you need to set your car up before start time you're probably not very good at your job.
johny that worked off the clock is often the guy that works his way from the bottom to the top and ultimately gets a very high paying job at the top of the company food chain years later.

i can see the guy setting up his truck in the morning causing some of his own heart burn too though. if i loaded a truck and knew my driver was going to fix all my mistakes i could see where i might go ahead and spend less time caring about that specific truck

Holydriver

I agree with what you are saying. How about that 40 or 50 year old guy that can no longer keep up with the 20 something. Do we just fire him? How about the bosses nephew or son in law who needs a job? I agree a lot of times the Union protects the jobs of workers who should be let go. If you were the one with the target on your back I bet you would think a lot differently.
oh ive got a target on my back. unfortunately though, if someone is always working slow and gets a light load, someone else is picking up the slack. because the boxes still need to be delivered. who does it? slow guy or the guy thats just trying to do his job and get the hell out of there for the day?

it seems to me that those in the union have this deeply ingrained belief that companies are just trying to fire all of their employees. sure, it makes sense considering UPS is always looking for ways to fire people. but outside of the union jobs, other corporations put in a lot of money and effort to attract, recruit, and retain their workforce. i had some serious personal issues in my past with a job i was on that ended up costing the company several thousand dollars. when it was apparent that i couldnt maintain employment on that specific job, the company looked to move me within the company to a different position. they didnt look to fire me for messing up. an employee costs the employer a lot of money and just firing and rehiring is not how it works.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
johny that worked off the clock is often the guy that works his way from the bottom to the top and ultimately gets a very high paying job at the top of the company food chain years later.
All drivers have a very high paying job and they didn't have to work for free to get it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It's reading threads like this, and the opinions of some of the poster, that make me so happy I no longer work for UPS.

You people who work off the clock and steal work from your fellow employees, and you people who support them, will be the downfall of the union at UPS.

God help you all when that happens.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

with all due respect , have you ever worked a non union job? usually, but not always ( nepotism ) the cream rises to the top. seniority has nothing to do with it. the best workers may be better and more profitable than senior workers.

promoting by seniority would hurt a lot of small businesses. so a dummy got hired before you? they should be the boss? they should be paid more or work more hrs than a better worker?

i have worked for several small ( less than 20 drivers ) trucking outfits that were successful, not because they used seniority , but because they used their best drivers for the right accounts. actually everyone benefited because of the competition. there is no competing in a union job. there is practically no incentive to try harder than anyone else.

UPS makes money in spite of seniority rules.. seniority may be fair but does not necessarily mean profitable.