Threatened by center manager for taking a lunch

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Thebrownavenger, May 18, 2009.

1. Thebrownavenger

Thebrownavenger New Member

We were instructed by our center manager not to take a lunch if we have a helper. He said that he did not feel like paying a helper for taking a lunch. How can a driver take his lunch without his helper taking a lunch too? Isn't he telling us to go against the union contract? How can he be allowed to threaten us for taking a lunch between the forth and sixth hour if we chose to take it then??
  2. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

Did you point that out to him? IF the helper is still working while you are taking a lunch or the helper actually takes a lunch at the same time the manger isn't paying them for taking a lunch. Or is there something I am missing here?
  3. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

Can you set your helper up with a dozen stops on a two-wheeler? Take your lunch while he walks the stops off?
  4. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

They can say and do anything. It's your job to WAD and grieve later. So inform him every day you don't take a lunch b etween 4th and 6th hours (whatever your contract says), you will be filing. Every day. His/her attitude will change.

What you are really saying is your center manager doesn't want you on lunch until after your helper is dropped off which is after your 6th hour....
  5. hondo

hondo promoted to mediocrity

Why do you have a helper in May? Any drivers laid off/routes cut?
  6. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

But be sure that from that point on you always take your lunch per the contract.
  7. Thebrownavenger

No this happened during Peak. In the middle of winter
  8. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

So, you're a late bloomer?
  9. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

Work as directed. You cannot take a lunch with the helper. So, At the 4th hour, drop off your helper at his car and take your lunch. Then start messaging ctr for help. :peaceful:
  10. Thebrownavenger

This is in the middle of winter and the area is big and hilly.
  11. Livin the Dream?

Livin the Dream? Disillusioned UPSer

I'd definitely have a sit-down talk with center manager. Wait till after Christmas when things slow down.
  12. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

That's not how we roll in the Atlantic Area. Helpers get lunch coded out just like the drivers.
  13. brownrodster

brownrodster New Member

They cannot direct you to do something that could result in you getting fired (we get warning letters for skipping lunch). And it is unsafe to not take a lunch. If it is not safe then don't do it. They cannot direct you to do something unsafe. You are not required to follow every direction. UPS has rules they have to play by.
  14. Leftinbuilding

Leftinbuilding Active Member

Just curious.....this happened during Peak and you're asking about it in May? Can't accuse you of being too hasty....:happy2:
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

...he was taking his time composing this thread--he must have heard of the grammar police.
  16. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Didn't work. He spelled fourth forth.:greedy:
  17. hurricanegunner

hurricanegunner UPSPoop

Brilliant! I like the way you think!
  18. some1else

some1else Active Member

i know alot of drivers do this; but i was told im responsible for all my helpers deliveries. and i really dont trust a temp 10$ kid to not text his friend to come meet him and pick up some ****. the only time my helper takes packages out of my sight is when he is doing the top floors on walkup apts lol
  19. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Arn't all peaks in the midde of winter?
  20. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Actually, no. All but a couple of days of peak occur during autumn. The winter solstice occurs on the 20th or 21st of December, so peak pretty much ends right after winter starts.