Threatened w/ Disqualifiaction?

JamminOn

So all this week i haven't been scheduled(Cover Driver), Mon they did not post my shed nor did they openly inform me I wasn't sched. Asked a mgr about if i was shed this week in to which he replied No.

Last night made plans to go a distance sourcing parts for a project. Of course get a call this morn, and the lady in the office says i have a route and i need to come in, explained i wasn't coming in and then she told me that if i am not avail i will be disq. from my position and won't drive anymore, mind you there was no 24 notice or any mention of me working today or any day the rest of the week for that matter.

Not sure where she got the nuts to really say that bc i dont believe there is any verbage in the union manual that states that.

Waiting to hear back from my union rep. but wanted to toss this out there for you guys to speak on. Even consider filing my first grievance, we can on office dispatch correct?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Welcome to the world of cover driving.

Unfortunately she is correct---you must be available to work when they call.

Now, I don't think they can disqualify you over this, but I am not sure and will let someone with more knowledge on how that would work comment on it.

JamminOn

Yes i remember being told if a cover isn't avail, as in never picks up or wants to drive thats one thing. Ive been cover and id say 8/10 want to work or just show up. I simply see the unsched. days as opportunity to do stuff we can't get to Mon-Fri bc of the hrs we work.

T

Turdferguson

So all this week i haven't been scheduled(Cover Driver), Mon they did not post my shed nor did they openly inform me I wasn't sched. Asked a mgr about if i was shed this week in to which he replied No.

Last night made plans to go a distance sourcing parts for a project. Of course get a call this morn, and the lady in the office says i have a route and i need to come in, explained i wasn't coming in and then she told me that if i am not avail i will be disq. from my position and won't drive anymore, mind you there was no 24 notice or any mention of me working today or any day the rest of the week for that matter.

Not sure where she got the nuts to really say that bc i dont believe there is any verbage in the union manual that states that.

Waiting to hear back from my union rep. but wanted to toss this out there for you guys to speak on. Even consider filing my first grievance, we can on office dispatch correct?
What area are you in. As rules can vary widely from region to region at UPS

Faceplanted

What if someone bangs in unexpectedly?
This needs to be taken into account the day prior. They should plan on asking a few cover guys to come in, if no call ins and the cover guys want to work they sch off a ft driver who wants the day off. Our supplement states we need to be notified of our start 24 hours prior. I was fine with then letting me know during my twilight sort if I was gonna drive the next day. I didn't play that call in the morning game with them, that's not how it's supposed to work

Faceplanted

I was a casual driver for just under a year so, yeah, I know WTF I am talking about.

Unless you have already been told that you will be on road you need to call in the morning to see if you will be needed.
You were a casual driver in 1940. They didn't even have phones back than so idk how u called in every morn. It's not the same, and as casual driver isn't even the same classification as a cover driver. Some cover drivers work midnight sort and thus need to be notified if they are driving the next day to not show up to mid night and get their 10 hours off to be able to drive the next day

Faceplanted

It was 25 years ago.

4 years as a PT cover driver? You must suck to have not been promoted yet.
Ya, my seniority sucked and I started covering right when the recession began. I knew 30 routes in my center, they just didn't promote anybody to ft for a cpl years at my hub. Thanks for playing though

ManInBrown

I'm amazed at all the different driver classifications throughout the country.

Last year on this board I remember a poster saying he was a "temp casual driver" for the last 10 years. Not a permanent employee. A temp for 10 years. That's ridiculous. Why would they ever permanently hire someone if they could have them be a temp for 10 years, with no benefits? I think they said they were in Boston.

Here cover drivers are permanent and they work everyday. Guaranteed 8 hours. Once they qualify. Here you can only be a casual off the street driver for 2 seasons. Summer casual and winter casual, then they hire you or you're done.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Ya, my seniority sucked and I started covering right when the recession began. I knew 30 routes in my center, they just didn't promote anybody to ft for a cpl years at my hub. Thanks for playing though
If you were so good I would do everything to have you on road everyday. Not have you on call. Thanks for playing though

Faceplanted

when 20 feeder guys get bumped back to package and 4/5 full time driver laid off working in the hub for more than a year your theory is impossible. Top that off with 2 years of greviences I and other workers filing for ups not making 5 full time spots due to 156 report rule.... Our upper management shot callers did not let any cover guys work or make the 5 full time spot that were guaranteed per the contract to be able to be bid on.

Because of this I lost all respect for the company and stopped being their bitch by getting calls 5 min before start and rushing to work when I was not scheduled the night before.