Threatened with discipline over attendance, even with DR's note.

I've been working here for only a little over a year, so I'm not totally familiar with the way things work.

I missed 5 days earlier this year after catching the flu really bad, and i missed 3 days recently for other reasons.

Anyway, i have a doctors note to excuse me, but my supervisor said I'm getting written up anyway, including termination letters!

Not sure what to do about this. I was told that if i go over my sick days, a doctors note is required too excuse me. I got that, but im apparently not excused.

km3

If you're using your real name as your username, change it asap.

If you're in the union, you have a right to have a steward present when supervisors are attempting to discipline you. The next time your supervisor brings this up, refuse to say or sign anything until a steward is present. If your steward ends up being no help, or they threaten to walk you out for refusing to sign anything without a steward, you'll need to track down your business agent at the local union.

If you're in the union, you have a right to have a steward present when supervisors are attempting to discipline you. The next time your supervisor brings this up, refuse to say or sign anything until a steward is present. If your steward ends up being no help, or they threaten to walk you out for refusing to sign anything without a steward, you'll need to track down your business agent at the local union.
Ok. I changed it. Thank you.

I knew about most of what you said. Does my note matter? This place is so messed up that it's impossible to get a straight story from anybody.

km3

Well, yeah. In theory. The flu is no joke, and if you're too sick to work, then what are you going to do? If you had gone in and collapsed on the job, they'd blame you for coming in when sick anyway. The truth is awfully scarce at UPS sometimes. Ask 10 different people the same question, and you'll almost certainly get 10 completely different answers. I personally can't imagine how a supervisor could get away with attempting to discipline you if you have a doctor's note as documentation of your illness.

There are a lot of experienced people on here that can help you more than I have, but nobody will be of more help than your steward (unless he or she is useless/spineless).

Anyway, now it's about time for me to head in. Good luck.

10 point

Got a copy of the CBA (contract) that covers your area? If no, get one. If yes, read it. Contact your steward that is over your work area. If they're not available call your local union and ask for the BA that represents your building.

Here, an unbroken string of days off only constitutes 1 attendance infraction. After being off three days the co requires a Return to Work slip from a doctor's office to return to work in our area. Funny, any time they've asked me to get a RTW slip from my doc they've never asked me for it when I came back.

Get your steward (and I hope the steward is an honest one that cares) when they start talking about things that could or will lead to discipline.
Don't learn the hard way.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If things got light, they would lay off the bottom guys- 8 days or more, so fast it would make your head spin.

ski or die

Ski or Die
All Local Supplements are not worded the same. But in most cases, if you were off 5 consecutive days with the flu and had a Doctor's excuse, that would only be one occurrence. The other 3 days if consecutive would only be your second occurrence. If those 3 days were split up, then you would only have 4 occurrences and they still could not discipline you. As another person stated, when the call you into the office or stop you in the hub and start to discuss this, tell them you would like to have a steward present. They are required to stop the discussion immediately until the steward is present. Check around your hub and find a steward who has a good reputation. Don't let them intimidate you.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I've been working here for only a little over a year, so I'm not totally familiar with the way things work.

I missed 5 days earlier this year after catching the flu really bad, and i missed 3 days recently for other reasons.

Anyway, i have a doctors note to excuse me, but my supervisor said I'm getting written up anyway, including termination letters!

Not sure what to do about this. I was told that if i go over my sick days, a doctors note is required too excuse me. I got that, but im apparently not excused.
I hope you had a union steward any time management wants to have a talk with you. Especially something like this. You need to talk to a union steward about this. You also need to file to get any warning letters expunged. I would also file intimidation. You have to put these punks in their place.

bumped

Next time your really sick, go to work and couch and sneeze all over that sup. They'll get the hint.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Umm....a warning letter for attendance I can understand....but termination papers?? Did you no call-no show which could be considered job abandonment?

Umm....a warning letter for attendance I can understand....but termination papers?? Did you no call-no show which could be considered job abandonment?
Ok, let me clarify exactly what's going on here. At the beginning of the year, I was out with the flu, and I think I missed an additional day, which put me over the mark. I DID NOT have a DR'S note for these days, and I was told if I am going to miss more days, then I would need a DR's note to excuse me.

Now, it's been a little less than 90 days since that incident, and I have had some medical reasons I haven't been there. The days have been somewhat separated, so it's multiple occurrences that add up to be termination papers. I DO have DR's excuses for these days, but my sup said he didn't care, and that it didn't matter, I'm getting hit with term papers anyway.

Messed up part is, I've actually had legit excuses for my attendance, where as I've seen people who call in 1-3 times a week easily, and barely get into trouble. I mentioned this to my steward the last time this happened when I got sick. I told him that they're harassing me hardcore over attendance, and they aren't doing anything about the people who have severe attendance issues. Needless to say, he wasn't much help... That's what brings me here.

Another messed up part is, that I'm actually one of the better workers there... I've seen people who are practically useless, that still have a job there after years, and years.

You'd think they would want to hold on to their better employees, considering the turnover is so high with new hires, and performance sucks so bad with people who stick around.

I would think it's irresponsible, but I guess that's their whole deal...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ok, let me clarify exactly what's going on here. At the beginning of the year, I was out with the flu, and I think I missed an additional day, which put me over the mark. I DID NOT have a DR'S note for these days, and I was told if I am going to miss more days, then I would need a DR's note to excuse me.

Now, it's been a little less than 90 days since that incident, and I have had some medical reasons I haven't been there. The days have been somewhat separated, so it's multiple occurrences that add up to be termination papers. I DO have DR's excuses for these days, but my sup said he didn't care, and that it didn't matter, I'm getting hit with term papers anyway.

Messed up part is, I've actually had legit excuses for my attendance, where as I've seen people who call in 1-3 times a week easily, and barely get into trouble. I mentioned this to my steward the last time this happened when I got sick. I told him that they're harassing me hardcore over attendance, and they aren't doing anything about the people who have severe attendance issues. Needless to say, he wasn't much help... That's what brings me here.
Discipline for attendance is progressive. Verbal warning, warning letter, suspensions....etc. They can't just write you up and terminate you for missing days that you called in sick and have a Dr note. What did your steward say?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Another messed up part is, that I'm actually one of the better workers there... I've seen people who are practically useless, that still have a job there after years, and years.

You'd think they would want to hold on to their better employees, considering the turnover is so high with new hires, and performance sucks so bad with people who stick around.

I would think it's irresponsible, but I guess that's their whole deal...
I banged in monday and Tuesday a few weeks ago cause I was sick as a dog. Dragged my ass to work that Wednesday....was told to expect a warning letter for attendance. I worked 3 hours and they let me leave (I only showed up to get my one punch for the week). Went straight to the Dr....told I had pneumonia and got a note excusing me for the rest of the week. I showed up the following Monday with a return to work Dr note....and was told I wasn't going to get a warning letter after all.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

that's pretty much your answer right there. at our hub we needed a dr note for 3 straight days.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Is your doctor an actual dr or like a medicine man?

Serious question seen a lady fired over this.