Three letters and your FIRED!

l22

If you show them you can get it done by taking shortcuts, running or speeding, nothing will ever change. You are getting it done. That's all they know.

Yup. No one will look out for your safety and well-being except you. You have a responsibility to yourself when you go out there to focus on getting back safe, having not hit anything and having not had an accident. ANY DAY WITHOUT AN ACCIDENT IS A GOOD DAY. Also, make sure you always do a full and complete pre-trip, even if it takes longer and results in you leaving the building late. You are responsible for properly inspecting the vehicle before you leave. It seems like a majority of couriers barely do a pre-trip at all. If something appears wrong with the vehicle, speak up and say that you cannot take it.

l22

Ok. I need some clarity from our vets in here. We have a bunch of new managers and the usual old disgruntled ones.
They are really throwing around this phrase around like there's no tomorrow for not making service. Things at the station are really chaotic and not going according "to plan".
Can this really be done? It really makes me a little scared. Since this the only job I have at the moment and me and my family depend on me being employed. What precautions or info do I need to know. So I can just blow them off and just take em as just plain old threats. That they use as a fear tactic on the drivers.

You will not lose your job over lates, you will lose it over accidents. Whenever they throw around that phrase or tell you that you need to go faster, make sure you slow down.

dex 84

Your only rule with this should be never mix P1 with anything else unless management specifically says do so. If they say to do so and there is no service interruption, tell them that mixing may cause you to have lates.

I don't want to be out there all night...

dex 84

Yeah I agree, I get the point he is making by saying not to mix p1 but if I have time it's getting mixed especially if I have a p1 resi right next to a p2

Especially if those two stops are 20 minutes out of your way from anything else you have. You can save a lot of time by only taking one trip into the middle of nowhere instead of 2

dex 84

Understandable, I do though lol.

I get that. I couldn't really gain much hours that way even if I wanted to though. Someone else would just get screwed into having to take stops off me.

I get enough 10-12 hour days as it is, I just always get done and get out as quick as I can because I know going home early is the exception, not the rule, and I'll be falling ass backwards into more than enough hours before too long.

whenIgetthere

I assume he got the letters becasue they told him not to do it but he continued to do so. I always hit p2 during p1 on certain routes but i make sure I'm light enough on p1 to do it. When you have over 100 p2 not going back to certain places just makes the day smoother

True on the verbals, but he has no more than 60 P2 an any given day. He's usually punched out by 1600, and we start at 0815. His route is one of the tightest in the station, never more than six miles from the station.

!Retired!

Excellent advice. Where have you been?
My laptop had crapped out and was using my wife's.

Your only rule with this should be never mix P1 with anything else unless management specifically says do so. If they say to do so and there is no service interruption, tell them that mixing may cause you to have lates.
I typically finish P1's early, but I will NOT deliver any deferred packages until I finish them, even if they say I can. The ONLY exception is if we have a TOTAL disruption.

To the OP: Just don't do anything you even THINK is wrong and you'll be fine. If it FEELS wrong, it probably is.

l22

To the OP: Just don't do anything you even THINK is wrong and you'll be fine. If it FEELS wrong, it probably is.

Haha, I used to think this too. But you'd be surprised what some mgrs think is right and wrong. This is clearly a good rule for things like stealing and conduct. With the latter, always say as little as you need to and never anything more - unless it is in formal writing. With the on-road performance questions the OP was asking, always WAD - let the managers make ALL the decisions while striving to have a record that they made them as much as possible. WAD was mentioned earlier very well in this thread.

DontThrowPackages

Ok. I need some clarity from our vets in here. We have a bunch of new managers and the usual old disgruntled ones.
They are really throwing around this phrase around like there's no tomorrow for not making service. Things at the station are really chaotic and not going according "to plan".
Can this really be done? It really makes me a little scared. Since this the only job I have at the moment and me and my family depend on me being employed. What precautions or info do I need to know. So I can just blow them off and just take em as just plain old threats. That they use as a fear tactic on the drivers.
Do not sign anything pertaining to "Numbers" until your manage sits in the passenger seats of your truck and ride with you ALL day. Not just until 10am. You need a check ride p1,p2 and pickups. Your vehicle has the ability to kill. Yoursafety and that of the public comes first. How would a father take it if some deliver driver, after killing his daughter, says "My manager said I wasn't going fast enough."?

MassWineGuy

I'm still relatively new doing deliveries. My weekday route is mostly pickups with maybe a few mis-sorts to deliver. But no P1s. I deliver each Saturday. Haven't had lates for a few weeks until last week. And my P2s sit until all P1s are delivered.

Sending dispatch a message is a good idea. It's documented.

As they told us at that other multinational freight company, your most important stop is getting home safely after your shift.

Question: Can a courier send an all Powerpad broadcast? My understanding was no.

jamescasey420

When you leave building, go straight to the Highway patrol. Tell them your boss or mechanic is making you drive this unsafe truck. They won't mess with after that.

dex 84

I'm still relatively new doing deliveries. My weekday route is mostly pickups with maybe a few mis-sorts to deliver. But no P1s. I deliver each Saturday. Haven't had lates for a few weeks until last week. And my P2s sit until all P1s are delivered.

Sending dispatch a message is a good idea. It's documented.

As they told us at that other multinational freight company, your most important stop is getting home safely after your shift.

Question: Can a courier send an all Powerpad broadcast? My understanding was no.

You can't directly broadcast but you can always ask dispatch to send one for you. They usually broadcast your message about having lates so that if anyone near you has any extra time they can see that you need help.

hypo hanna

You can't directly broadcast but you can always ask dispatch to send one for you. They usually broadcast your message about having lates so that if anyone near you has any extra time they can see that you need help.
Depends on the district. For a long time dispatchers were told to not arrange any on road meets ups to salvage delivery service. The directive was ment to force the managers to balance routes before they left the building.

dex 84

Depends on the district. For a long time dispatchers were told to not arrange any on road meets ups to salvage delivery service. The directive was ment to force the managers to balance routes before they left the building.

That actually makes sense in a way. There's no point in what we're doing now anyways because there's almost never anybody that can help another route save lates because we're pretty much always all doing as much as we possibly can already. I just send the message so i don't get in trouble for having lates and not asking for help.

This is my first response here on Brown Cafe.
Whenever I have the thought of the possibility of having late air, I put it in their hands and say "I might have late air" or "I'm going to be late with air" or (they really like this one) "what's the late air reason today?" Lol! Regardless of their response, I let them know w plenty of time to resolve the problem, so then the pressure is off me.

My steward told me once: "You aren't the first, nor will you be the last guy to have late air....COVER YOUR ASS!"
(I hear this advice like Luke hears Obi Wan)

Goldilocks

Let 'em fire you. Collect for 6 months and think long and hard about the direction your life is headed. And imagine how much better off you are without a deadend FedEx job. Make Fred your Ex.

WTH is up with your profile pic? How old are you? I could see if you are a three year old boy but you're not. Grow up!